1/48 Hasegawa F-104G

Hello

F-104G's seem to be flavour of the month here at the moment and here is mine. I found it a great kit to go together, the undercarriage fit (polycaps) is very nice. Sadly the aftermarket decals I used to make a Marineflieger aircraft weren't the best; very prone to silvering and absolutely nothing seemed to get rid of the film, even Extra Thin Glue. But other than that very happy with how it turned out. A big thanks go to BrandX for supplying me with a spare rear canopy when I managed to drop it and then tread on it....

DSCF1184.png

DSCF1185.png

DSCF1186.png

DSCF1182.png

DSCF1174.png

DSCF1172.png

DSCF1170.png

Thanks for looking!

Ian

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments guys.

That's a smashing looking "starfighter" you have there and lots of laughs about treading on the canopy. I'm sure many of us can write a book about how we lost parts!

Yeah, to be honest I have always read and wondered how so many people seem to end up breaking canopies, but there is a first time for everyone! I really kicked myself as I knew it had gone missing but still stood up to look for it.... I'm just glad someone managed to help me out

Ian

Hello!

I be with all the other comment and this 104 looks really great, but I have a question about the underside painting. Why did you use a shade of grey? Please understand it right, I will nothing to say about your model, but RAL9006 White Aluminium where the right paint on German F-104. A lot of people make this little mistake and I know, at a real F-104, the aluminium colour look like a grey colour. A friend of mine did also build a Marine 104 and it looks so:

6335623231393231.jpg

Sorry for that little criticise and congratulations for that wonderful Model. Regards, Udo.

I trawled through quite a few pics, some look very metallic, some don't seem to have much of a sheen at all, so I tried to best match the photos I looked at. I am not really keen on linking directly to pictures other sites, but this was the airframe I had originally intended to build (if the decals which said they could depict it actually had enough '1's to do it...

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/2111.htm

To my eye it matches fairly well, but I appreciate the comment. If I can find some better decals I will probably tackle another at some point and go for a different finish.

Cheers

Ian

Hey Ian!

No Problem and the model stand at your home and you are satisfied with it, that`s the most important thing. I reed it in the technical manuals, that all German F-104 are painted in that RAL9006 colour, when they leave the factory. It is possible that some old colour will be used, like on the F-84 F when the 104 come out of maintenance. I think the most problem of this colour is, that they are faded out very heavy and then it become shine like grey colour. You are right when you look on some photos that they looked grey, but it is a very faded white aluminium. I hope you are not angry with my comment and wish you all the best for the other F-104 that you are planing to built. Regards, Udo.