newish craze[well it is to me ]

jetboy

HI,gordon d and mike and all,

Ive been following some of the newish threads on the arc site for real space modelling,and feel a bit inadaquate,really,must stay away from there.But im quite intrested in doing one of the models which use a paper model as a template with evergreen etc as backing,there is a very nice launch tower being built,must have a follow up on that,has anyone on here used the same teqchnique,if yes,give us some input,cheers Don

Hi mate, the technique is very doable, I made the superstructure of the Graf Spee, blown up (no pun intended) from 1/200 of the original card model to 1/96.Stuck onto Plasticard, cut out, soaked to get rid of the original pattern and then assembled and it worked a treat. I have had numerous comments about it. I look forward to seeing your progress.....I have also been using this technique on my Graf Zeppelin that uses a card kit at 1/200 scaled to 1/144. The picture is from this years show at Shepton Mallet model engineering show.....

DSC_0190_1024x687.jpg

.........Smudge

Edited by swordfish fairey
  • Like 1

Hi mate, the technique is very doable, I made the superstructure of the Graf Spee, blown up (no pun intended) from 1/200 of the original card model to 1/96.Stuck onto Plasticard, cut out, soaked to get rid of the original pattern and then assembled and it worked a treat. I have had numerous comments about it. I look forward to seeing your progress.....I have also been using this technique on my Graf Zeppelin that uses a card kit at 1/200 scaled to 1/144. The picture is from this years show at Shepton Mallet model engineering show.....

DSC_0190_1024x687.jpg

.........Smudge

thanks smudge,i will be seriously looking for some launch towers to try,it has always amazed me,that there are not many kits of towers,mind you the price is a bit offputting too some,the revell tower which i have,but l.v.m. studios do some upgrades in p.e,but the price is a bit hard to justify,at the moment,it seems i could spend another 3-4 hundred pounds on the upgrades,on top of the 150 i got the kit for,a bit pricy,dont you think?..so this method might make a acceptable alternative,as im not in the game for museum replicas,i just want something that looks nice,like yours cheers Don,ps loved your work in citizen smith? Edited by jetboy

Hi mate, the technique is very doable, I made the superstructure of the Graf Spee, blown up (no pun intended) from 1/200 of the original card model to 1/96.Stuck onto Plasticard, cut out, soaked to get rid of the original pattern and then assembled and it worked a treat.

.........Smudge

Hi Smudge,

What did you stick it with? PVA? It's an idea I've been toying with using to scratchbuild a very fascinating "Insect Class Gunboat" a very nice chap on here (Czechnavy) sent me plans of recently.

Edited by Murdo

Hi Murdo, yes mate, PVA glue thinned with 25% water brushed onto the paper bits. When I first started on the Graf Spee it all seemed a bit too fiddly, but as I got used to doing it, it become a lot easier. I even managed to use some of the original tabs to glue the plastic together........The Hull on the Graf Zeppelin is the original formers stuck to ply, cut out and filled with expanding foam, sanded to shape and a mould taken to produce a glass fibre hull.........Smudge