Enterprise E built and lit

That is pretty awesome.. Very inspiring. Makes me want to do the same to a star destroyer..

Here's a tip.. Old visual effects trick.. You'll need a camera on a tripod, and preferably a remote, so you don't nudge the camera too much..

Step 1: Pose and light the kit against a dark background, with a strong key light parked a few meters away, pretending to be a nearby star, for some nice contrasty shade. Hang a white sheet (or something) on the opposite side to create a bit of bounce just to lift it off the background a touch. Not too much (the brightness can be adjusted by angling the sheet), it is space after all. Have all the lights on the ship off. Take picture/footage.

Step 2: Turn off all lights, and turn the ship lights on. Take picture/footage.

Step 3: In an image editing programme, overlay the second shot on top of the first, using a 'screen' blending mode. This will make everything that's black transparant.

This will allow you to play with the lighting levels on the ship. It's the method used way back in the day to create the illuminated effects for space ships, using motion control passes.

Edited by Michaelvk
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys - appreciated!

I will get some more pics up but am working away from home over the next few days so may be a wee while.

That is pretty awesome.. Very inspiring. Makes me want to do the same to a star destroyer..

...as it happens, I have one in my stash waiting to be lit :)

Step 3: In an image editing programme, overlay the second shot on top of the first, using a 'screen' blending mode. This will make everything that's black transparant.

I will give this a go...can you recommend any software that will do this - I have windows live moviemaker and live photo gallery...

That's a pretty damned good standard, I don't think you have too much to worry about!

Only thing I might suggest is using some thinner cable for the lighting next time around - it seemed a bit bulky for a low voltage LED circuit and might make things a little easier for routing :)

Only thing I might suggest is using some thinner cable for the lighting next time around - it seemed a bit bulky for a low voltage LED circuit and might make things a little easier for routing :)

Absolutely agree - it got a bit tight for space at times!

I did post a question on wiring on here and git some excellent advice to use wire windings from an old transformer so will give that a go on my next build...although I do get a bit paranoid that they'll melt, I can always test them first I suppose!

Few final close up pics taken in daylight:

ENTe079.jpg

ENTe078.jpg

ENTe077.jpg

ENTe076.jpg

Few more:

ENTe075.jpg

ENTe074.jpg

ENTe073.jpg

ENTe072.jpg

...and finally...:

ENTe069.jpg