Tamiya PR.IV, 1:72, with Eduard bits ***finished***

Hello,
I will soon start with the well-known Tamiya-Kit of the wooden wonder. The chosen scheme is the all PRU-Blue. To add some realism, I bought an old PE-fret from Eduard. It is intended to be used on the Hasegawa-Kit, but I can live with it. If a part doesn't fit, I won't use it, simple as that. Since I have problems with the painting, I have some questions you could have the answer to...

- The PRU-Blue I use is from Humbrol enamel, and is very flat. Were the PRU-Mossies flat, semi-gloss or gloss? Or did it depend on the usage?
- Should I try to add some white, since it looks rather dark to me? Boxart of Tamiya shows it in a very light blue, which confuses me a bit.
- What about the weathering, were they kept tidy, or did the colour fade quickly?

Alex

Edit: just found out how to change the title in order to show it's finished...

Edited by alex

Hello,

I will soon start with the well-known Tamiya-Kit of the wooden wonder. The chosen scheme is the all PRU-Blue. To add some realism, I bought an old PE-fret from Eduard. It is intended to be used on the Hasegawa-Kit, but I can live with it. If a part doesn't fit, I won't use it, simple as that. Since I have problems with the painting, I have some questions you could have the answer to...

- The PRU-Blue I use is from Humbrol enamel, and is very flat. Were the PRU-Mossies flat, semi-gloss or gloss? Or did it depend on the usage?

- Should I try to add some white, since it looks rather dark to me? Boxart of Tamiya shows it in a very light blue, which confuses me a bit.

- What about the weathering, were they kept tidy, or did the colour fade quickly?

Alex

Welcome Alex

Your question on PR Blue most pic`s I have looked at they look flat and would not say the aircraft where that

tidy ,to my mind Humbrol is a bit dark and yes to the weathering ,good luck with your build

Les

Edited by wellzy

Having looked at a lot of pics, Mossie paint seems to have usually been in better condition than most aircraft. I speculate this was because the finish on wood stuck and kept its colour better, that being wood the aircraft were protected from the elements better, or the ground crews took on some of the 'elite' attitude that seems to have pervaded Mosquito units... there were never that many of them really.

• 5 weeks later...

The box-shot at the beginning...

1-teile.jpg

First parts were the landing lights in the wing. They are glued from the inside, and painted silver. They even have a recess, which looks like a lightbulb when completed. Nice touch!

2-scheinwerfer.jpg

Some of the too many ejector pin marks. They are everywhere - in the cockpit and wheel wells it's especially annoying...

3-auswerfer1.jpg

4-auswerfer2.jpg

5-auswerfer3.jpg

Yesterday, I started with the painting of the silver/aluminium parts. Pictures to follow soon!

Alex

the cooler intake have been replaced by eduard bits. looks bit better now...

6-kuehler2.jpg

The pedals are a bit chunky. They are provided in the Eduard set as well, so I cut them away and opened the backside of the panel. They look a bit weird, since the two sides have a different lenght, bending them to one side. Strange...

8-pedale2.jpg

The radio are open on the backside, so I took some sheet to close it. looks better, but there is not much to see when finished. Still, just in case.

10-radios.jpg

Front side have been glued to the fuselage. The small "letterbox" is one of the few PE-part I will use in the cockpit walls.

9-cockpit1.jpg

Progress so far is rather quick for me... Hopefully, I will finish it before the end of the GB ;)

Alex

Edited by alex

Washing (brown/black) completed in the wheel wells... the fist layer of washing, it shows the effect. The lower picture is after the second washing, and slightly underexposed. 

11-schacht1.jpg

12-schacht2.jpg

Alex

cockpit's almost complete. I used Modermaster interior green, details mostly painted with revell aqua, and after a layer of clear, I applied some oil washing. That's how it looked like 5 minutes ago...

13-cockpit.jpg

opposite side, same floor...

14-cockpit.jpg

the smaller details will be added at a later stage. Instument panel will be the kit decal, and the seat is eduard photoetch. Looks nice so far, and hopefully, this week I can mate both fuselage halves!

Alex

Inspirational stuff. It's a shame that there's so much filling to do inside, but looks like that was the foundation work for something lovely.

Seat, belts and radio attached...

15-cockpit3.jpg

Instruments are done with the supplied decals. May not be 100%, but ok for me.

16-cockpit4.jpg

Cameras are painted and fixed into place. Unfortunately, they will remain almost invisible.

17-kameras.jpg

All covers glued onto the fuselage.

18-unterseite.jpg

Both side windows are glued as well. The aircraft is soon ready to receive the cockpit and nose parts. It goes quicker than expected.

19-cockpitbereich.jpg

Alex

Edited by alex

Air intakes (guess for the carburettor?) opened. The Eduard-fret has a protection grill to set in front of the opening, but just in case... btw, exhaust tubes painted "rust" and glued onto the nacelle, along with the covers. Not much to see, move along please...

20-einlass.jpg

The strange parts on the gear has been replaced by some photoetched parts. Looks a bit finer now. Does anyone know that this part are made for? Never understood their function!

21-fahrwerk.jpg

Alex

Those parts of the undercarriage pushed opened the doors as the gear was lowered.

Nice build so far, looking forward to the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

Gear legs are finished... The mudguard is not yet attached, I will do it at a later stage, when the gear is glued into place. The oil tank is a revell red and rust, which looks nice. I now started with the masking of the canopy, which is a bit of a work. I had some Eduard masks, but they are the older type, which is a type of plastic film instead of the newer, yellow tamiya-tape-like masks. They didn't fit well since they were meant for the hasegawa mosquito, so bad luck. They were a bargain, so not much loss...

22-fahrwerk2_zpse9c3ccd2.jpg

23-fahrwerk3_zps0edc99d8.jpg

Alex

Preshading (and props) completed. I used some Humbrol interior green for the inside of the cockpit framing, and later a preshading with black. Next week, hopefully, it will get the PRU-Blue.

Question for those who already built the tamiya-Mozzie: is it better to paint, then glue the wings to the fuselage, or first glue, and then paint? I think I should paint first, because the parts are easier to handle...

(addendum: the "stick" on the right hand side of the cockpit: I somehow managed to have a small piece of plastic on the inside of the canopy, which I couldn't get rid of. So I had to drill a small hole, and with a bit of stretched sprue, I managed to remove it. In case this nasty piece shows up again, I keep this small hole open until the mozzie is finished, just in case. The stick on the photo is just a plug to avoid any colour getting into the cockpit through this hole.)

24-preshading_zps27f24dbf.jpg

Alex

Edited by alex

• 4 weeks later...

PRU-blue is on. After a layer of tamiya gloss cote, I started with the decals. The dark areas you see is not a preshading (there is, but very subtle), but different shades of gloss/semigloss which look a bit weird. I applied the gloss cote only where I need to have a smooth surface for the decals.

25-decals_zps3413af32.jpg

Alex