The best 1/48 F-14

mark73

1 hour ago, Roof Rat said:

Hello Giorgio

Thank you for your very informative reply it's now top of my changes required list.

With regards,

RR (Chris).

Backing up what Giorgio has said about timeframes, you'd be best identifying an airframe and from which year. I've a few B models I want to do. My plan is to convert the D model as it has everything you need except:

TCS pod

GRU-7 seats

ECM bumps for the wing gloves.

All of which are available in resin. The cockpit is the trickiest as the B was retro fitted with the PTID screen, much like the A and D models, around 1999/2000. However it is different too the D model, the DACO book will help no end. You could probably scratch build the parts for the B cockpit fairly easily or perhaps get a set of etch for a B or A model and use the MFDS etc from them to place over the cockpit parts of the D model which aren't on the B.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 2:34 PM, Simon382 said:

In my opinion you understand correct. I've made the A model and have the D in the stash. I've never seen engineering quite like it. Little pricey but seriously worth it

The quality of Tamiya kits totally outclasses the majority. Just a pity they limit themselves to so few subjects. After releasing the best 1/32 Spitfire kit in the form.of the Mk9, with a couple of variations, plus the Mk16 they just stopped. What about a Griffon engined variant or Mk1 & V?

The Tomcat kit is superb - let's have a Eurofighter Typhoon????

Good morning Dave

Thank you for the information it's been added to my list, I'm having trouble tracking down Quickboost TCS (48.797) just have to keep looking. Thanks again for the info.

With regards,

RR (Chris).

8 hours ago, Roof Rat said:

Good morning Dave

Thank you for the information it's been added to my list, I'm having trouble tracking down Quickboost TCS (48.797) just have to keep looking. Thanks again for the info.

With regards,

RR (Chris).

Keep checking Hannants mate, they get restocks fairly regularly.

For all those planning on converting the Tamiya D into a B, just remember this sage piece of advice, just after you finish your pride and joy, the model you just made will be announced as the next release, without the need to convert anything!?! Feel free to ask me how I know 😠😠😠😠😠😠

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning guys, I say mine, the Tamiya is in my opinion the best, both as a simplicity of construction and as forms, on the other hand, the very high price. Sure if I had to choose between Hasegawa and Tamiya, there is no doubt Tamiya !!! But if one is satisfied with the Academy, even if with some faults, it is a very valid alternative, quality / price. Once assembled well with well-painted invisible plastering, with a nice weathering and beautiful after market decals, all the defects will go into the background. I own both Tamiya and Academy, I also had a Hasegawa, which I sold as soon as I bought the Tamiya, very good Hasegawa, but too laborious to assemble .... personal opinions.........

Tamiya is very nice -close to perfect for a parked jet.

If you want it in any other, especially on the Tomcat very cool and characteristic poses like kneeling down for a cat lauch, or just flaps and slats down it is not the best base without a headache!

I fully agree with exdraken, so much so that yesterday I bought through a friend in base, a F-14D 1/48 for only $ 18.00, Revell kit, it is the old monogram with new parts (seats, engine exhaust, sensors under the nose) much simple, but in effect when finished, I will change the main wheels ....certainly I'm not going to spend about $ 99.00 or more for a model (already done once) . What matters is having fun and spending some time in carefree !!!

Linus

IMHO the main "problem" with the Tamiya kit is that it's designed to offer a complete package to build a certain aircraft in a certain timeframe and does not offer any option.

Without even touching on the B and D variants, the Tomcat went through a number of changes during the years the type has served in the USN. Some of these changes were introduced through the various construction blocks while others were the result of retrofit programs. Tamiya choose a typical Block 80-85 aircraft as flying in the late '70s to mid '80s timeframe, the modeller who just wants a great Tomcat can buy the kit and build it using the decals included in the box (all correct for the block and period).

If however I want to build an aircraft of a different block or in a different period I have to resort to aftermarket parts and some work. Of course Tamiya is not alone in this approach and other Tomcat kits follow a similar approach. Hasegawa on the other hand offered several of these features in the box, while others were included in specific boxes. Choosing the right box it's possible to build pretty much every Tomcat using the Hasegawa kit.

Tamiya have sacrificed variety for buildability, that is of course a perfectly valid approach for most modellers. As a Tomcat fan however I'd have liked some more variety without having to add aftermarket to what is afterall an expensive kit

• Like 4

On 1/9/2019 at 1:34 PM, Giorgio N said:

Happy new year to you !

It sure is possible, although some care would be needed to identify the timeframe of your B, as a few features changed over time.

Now without having the Tamiya parts in front of me I may miss a thing or two, but basically you need:

1) New cockpit. A cockpit designed for an A will be very close to an early B, later Bs had several different features. There are a number of cockpits for all variants of the Tomcat, I don't know which one will fit the Tamiya kit better.. apart of course from any made for the Tamiya A, that could be used as a basis for other later modifications. Seats were also different but these should be in whatever cockpit set you choose

2) A set of ECM fairings to be installed under the fixed part of the wing, as the D had these located internally. Steel Beach has a set, designed for the Revell kit but can be adapted easily

3) A TCS pod to replace the dual IR/TV pod under the chin. Quickboost makes this specifically for the Tamiya F-14A.

4) Wheels, as the D used a different pattern. There are several around, IIRC Wolfpack has a set to update the Hasegawa kit to a late F-14A, and the wheels should be the same. Wheeliant also have wheels but I can't remember the pattern offered. Better check pictures here.

A late B would have the GPS antenna on the spine and I believe this is in the Tamiya D, early aircraft didn't have this. Some other antenna changed and some aircraft had reinforcements applied around the retractable steps, again check pictures. These can be easily done with thin plasticard.

Perfect! Thanks Giorgio (and to Roof Rat for asking the question) since I also want to backdate one of my D's to a B. For the cockpit I'm hoping to use one of Eduard's offerings as they are exquisite. 

In case anyone is interested in my opinion here are my thoughts: back in the day the Hasegawa offerings were the best and even by today’s standards still make a nice replica. The old Monogram kit wasn’t exactly awful and can be made in to a credible replica too. Tamiya’s kit is a model building orgasm. I just finished the D and loved every minute because from the git go I knew it was going to go good. My only issue was a mistake I made in decal application which Tamiya remedied by sending me another set of decals mosh kosh. It’s worth every bit of whatever currency you spend. While your’e at it, get that new Spitfite whether you build recips or not. That thing is shear pleasure. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wschurr said:

In case anyone is interested in my opinion here are my thoughts: back in the day the Hasegawa offerings were the best and even by today’s standards still make a nice replica. The old Monogram kit wasn’t exactly awful and can be made in to a credible replica too. Tamiya’s kit is a model building orgasm. I just finished the D and loved every minute because from the git go I knew it was going to go good. My only issue was a mistake I made in decal application which Tamiya remedied by sending me another set of decals mosh kosh. It’s worth every bit of whatever currency you spend. While your’e at it, get that new Spitfite whether you build recips or not. That thing is shear pleasure. 

Can I ask where you get Tamiya spares from?

• 3 years later...

It is possible to order sprues via the importer. Just did so with the slatted wings (#T, #U) from #61122. Costs are at around €13 and € 15 + pp. I cannot tell if VAT is already included. I will try out if these wings can be used for the Hasegawa kit. If it works it will be a great improvement for the stashed kits!

• 2 weeks later...

The price of the Tamiya kit prohibits me from buying one and I need several for a collection I want to do. Therefore, my second best option, which again is not cheap unless you monitor eBay 24-hours a day, is the Hasegawa kit.

I know it has several issues but its a beauty!

So, if your plan is to build only one Tomcat in 1/48, its worth paying the cost for the Tamiya kit.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Bill