Building for Britain

gengriz

With the completion of my Sword Harrier T.4N I'm calling 2012 -there is a possibility of another completion (or 2) before the end of the year, but no certainty!

It's been a relatively good year, with a total of 30 builds - although a high proportion of these were quick build "hotel room" AFVs.

has distracted me over the last 3 months (although it is definitely inspiring a few future builds) but my enthusiasm and enjoyment are undaunted. My WW2 70th Anniversary theme continues and has driven the date of many of this year's builds, which has sometimes been a little discouraging so next year may take a slightly different line. I do, however, have a coulple of kits already lined up for "1943" anniversaries, both Naval and otherwise.

But enough pontificating - here, in chronilogical order is the Gengriz "Obsessed Member" 2012 Collection:

January: A pre Xmas business trip to Paris results in a rather nice HobbyBoss Tiger themed Rafale:

DSC_0380.jpg

And the last "hotel room build of 2011 is finally complete; an Iraqi T-62 from the Al Faw peninsula in 2003:

DSC_0375.jpg

February: A bit of pure nostalgia sees a build of the old Airfix Roland C.11 Walfisch

DSC_0437.jpg

Then on the 70th Anniversary of the Channel Dash, one of the new Airfix Swordfish

DSC_0451.jpg

March: The Dark Side dominates with a Revell Warrior MCV from Op Telic:

DSC_0502-800.jpg

And a March 1942 Malta Defender (Airfix Vb & Xtradecal) flown by PO Buck McNair, whose son kindly got in touch to discuss the build and provide me with some additional info.

DSC_0518.jpg

April sees a cold spell, so what else to warm me up but an Op Granby Scimitar from a heavily modified Airfix kit

DSC_0544.jpg

and to mark the original planned Out Of Service Date of the SHAR, an Airfix Club kit in the farwell scheme

DSC_0558.jpg

May: sees a slight diversion into the South Atlantic, with a Revell (Matchbox) Twin Otter in Chilean markings

DSC_0664.jpg

and a Scorpion from the Falklands in 1982, based on another Airfix modification

DSC_0662.jpg

Then still in the South Atlantic, a diddy Royal Marines Airfix Westland Scout to join my Wasp

DSC_0594.jpg

June: Sees the 70th Anniversary of the fall of Tobruk and an Airfix Ice Cold in Alex "Katy" ambulance. Coincidentally, for the Diamond Jubilee weekend, HM the Q drove this type of Ambulance during the war

DSC_0721large.jpg

Plus 2x30th Anniversary Falklands builds, an ESCI SHAR and an Airfix A-4Q:

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

And that takes us half way though the year - part 2 coming up in a mo

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz

Part 2 starts in July, with another Diamond Jubilee build, this time an 805 Sqn RAN Aussie A-4 (Hasegawa and Modeldecal) from the 1977 Silver Jubilee Fleet Review at Spithead:

DSC_0914.jpg

along with another 805 Sqn aircraft, this time 70 years ago, pre-RAN, a Hobbyboss Martlet in the Western Desert/Suez Canal Zone

DSC_0826.jpg

Plus a 70th Anniversary of the REME build of a B.W models Alvis Stalwart

DSC_0819.jpg

August: sees my 70th Anniversary theme dominating, with an Op Pedestal Sea Hurricane(Revell), Malta Folgore (Frog) and Western Desert Kittyhawk (Hasegawa):

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0109-800.jpg

September: Fairford inspires a MV-22 Osprey (ESCI), an Airfix Hunter sneaks in (with Matchbox decals) and a AA gun (Zvezda) marks the 70th anniversary of the start of the Battle of Stalingrad

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

October is El Alamein 70th Anniversary month, with an M3 Grant, a Kubelwagen and an SDKfz 222

DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

November: The Op Torch 70th Anniversary sees a US marked Fulmar (SMER), a post Alamein Baltimore (Frog) and to mark the 70th Anniversary of Stalingrad, a snow covered T-34 (Revell/Matchbox)

DSC_0827-1.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

DSC_0872.jpg

And finally, December sees an Academy HEMTT truck, plus a 70th/50th Anniverary of 899 Sqn Harrier T.4N

DSC_0896.jpg

DSC_0913m.jpg

All in all, a pretty good and enjoyable year. OK - so what's next then???????????????????????????????????

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz

• 2 weeks later...