RAF Flight Safety Films - What was your favourite?

Wez

We were talking at work the other day, most of us were Cold War era lineys, joining up as we did during the Cold War, we were exposed to certain RAF training and flight safety films featuring, naturally, the Cold War era RAF aircraft were prevalent in these films which provide a useful resource for the modeller as well as valuable training aids, here's my particular favourite, sorry about the sub-titles but I'm sure you won't mind...

...it's Dr Fod and the Wayward Body, I like it 'cos of the Lightnings, Phantoms, Harriers, Gnats and Hunters... ...obviously! :whistle:

What was your favourite?

Wez

Can't remember the film name, but the I do remember the film that had the fat scuffer picking mushrooms when I think it was a Dominie went by, he saw something then jumped on his bike, where to I can't remember.

One of our instructors at RAF Halton showed us a film featuring a Meteor being pushed in or out of a hangar. What was supposed to happen was the wooden wingtip, specially made and slaved on, was supposed to be broken off by the hangar door hitting it as the aircraft was being pushed. However the pushers got a bit carried away and hit the wing inboard of the wooden section and damaged it. It did look like it stopped very suddenly, he swore it was true as he was one of the "pushers"!

Can't remember the film name, but the I do remember the film that had the fat scuffer picking mushrooms when I think it was a Dominie went by, he saw something then jumped on his bike, where to I can't remember.

I remember that. He cycled after the Dominie to flag the pilot down. A crew member jumped out, fixed the problem, and ran towards him in a Benny Hill type style (ie fast forward) and hugged him and then kissed him. The snowdrop mouthed something dergogatory about the crew man being gay.

I remember a film (in b/w) about a Javelin that needed to be flown from UK to a squadron in Singapore (RAF Seletar?) in the 1960's. It highlighted the preparations and safety aspects of long distance flights for aircrew, engineers and logistical staff etc. The Javelin staged through quite a few countries, for refuelling, serving and rest periods for the crew, and I think possibly Cyprus, Bahrain and Gan were a few of the stops.

It would be interesting to know whether that film, plus any others like it, are still around and possibly in the public domain so that we could see them again.

I liked the one with Richard O'Sullivan (Robin Tripp in Man About The House and Robin's Nest) as a Harrier pilot who is so distracted he taxies onto a runway directly in front of a Phantom which is attempting to land.

I liked the one with Richard O'Sullivan (Robin Tripp in Man About The House and Robin's Nest) as a Harrier pilot who is so distracted he taxies onto a runway directly in front of a Phantom which is attempting to land.

That is the one that sprung to my mind too! All because he got up late and didn't get his boiled egg for breakfast or something like that!

I do remember laughing at the mushroom picking snowdrop too!

Duncan B

Edited by Duncan B

That was pretty entertaining. Obviously a tad dated now and deliberately lighthearted but the thing that struck me most is that there was the need in the RAF for such things to have to be explained and in such a way.

I've never been a service person but I assumed that general military discipline and procedures would ensure that training videos like this wouldn't be needed. I'm kind of surprised that drinking a can of coke while on duty and on the active airfield would be allowed. Was life in the forces quite relaxed once you were past basic training?

Also never imagined you could get a body into the intake of a Lightning!

Not RAF, but USN, a 35mm filmstrip (remember those?) with accompanying reel-to-reel audio tape. An Electronic Warfare training class on Fire Control RADARs played the audio for a Russian system with the narrator saying "An Electronic Warfare Operator seldom hears this sound twice..." (this was while the Vietnam war was just winding down so they had lots of great audio to use). The first time I heard this for real while overflying the Russian helo carrier Moskva, I about jumped out of my seat. Luckily enough an EW officer from a VQ squadron that was watching over this rookie's shoulder settled me down with, "Don't worry, those Russian ships do that all the time..."

• Like 2

I remember one with a Nimrod taxiing out at Gibraltar with a hatch of some sort open and the "hero" of the film jumping on the push bike and racing out after him thus saving the day. There was another one with a Wasp operating off a Leander, it was all about accounting for tools, the controls jammed because of a screwdriver I think.

but I recall one from Halton where a Phantom (?) had its wings fold in flight. Anyone know what that one was ?

yep it was called "oversiight" and filmed in 1975 mainly on the pan at Coningsby. One of the young pilots was played by none other than Trevor Eve. Its available today on a CD called British Phantom pilot.

I remember Dr FOD, and the Man for Lox

Another memorable one was Oversight.

The one where a Phantom after problems with the back seaters Oxy reg problem.

Took off and the outboard wing sections folded up! No one had spotted the 2 large RED pins on top of the wing to show they were unlocked!

During the movie you see 2 LTF Lightnings landing due to a WGAF F4E heavy landing at Binbrook one Friday a afternoon and closing us down!

One of them ended staying a while at Conningsby due a #2 engine ignition problem.

Adrian

I remember one with a Nimrod taxiing out at Gibraltar with a hatch of some sort open and the "hero" of the film jumping on the push bike and racing out after him thus saving the day.

That still gets shown to every incoming Air Cadet camp at Gibraltar! Or at least it did when I was there in 2004 & 2005 anyway.

I'm pretty sure it had a shot at the end of the film of the 'hero' standing grinning in his sunglasses feeling proud of himself for saving the day - got a good few laughs from us cadets for the sheer cheese factor!

Nik

I remember a film (in b/w) about a Javelin that needed to be flown from UK to a squadron in Singapore (RAF Seletar?) in the 1960's. It highlighted the preparations and safety aspects of long distance flights for aircrew, engineers and logistical staff etc. The Javelin staged through quite a few countries, for refuelling, serving and rest periods for the crew, and I think possibly Cyprus, Bahrain and Gan were a few of the stops.

It would be interesting to know whether that film, plus any others like it, are still around and possibly in the public domain so that we could see them again.

I remember seeing that one. It would have been at Abingdon, 1965, CCF summer camp. There was also another U.S.engine type film showing various FOD problems with the immortal line '' This was once a J35 engine.....''. The Singing Blue Jeans did a gig at the Naafi that week too. 'Rattle of a simple man', (Harry H Corbett and Diane Cilento) supported by a naturist fim 'Take Off Your Clothes and Live' at the Astra cinema. The whole week made a big impression on us 15 somethings.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't cottoned on to the old training films as a money spinner.

I remember seeing that one. It would have been at Abingdon, 1965, CCF summer camp. There was also another U.S.engine type film showing various FOD problems with the immortal line '' This was once a J35 engine.....''. The Singing Blue Jeans did a gig at the Naafi that week too. 'Rattle of a simple man', (Harry H Corbett and Diane Cilento) supported by a naturist fim 'Take Off Your Clothes and Live' at the Astra cinema. The whole week made a big impression on us 15 somethings.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't cottoned on to the old training films as a money spinner.

I have a commecially available DVD with lots of RAF Training and recruiting films on it as home so somebody has cottoned on!

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

I have a commecially available DVD with lots of RAF Training and recruiting films on it as home so somebody has cottoned on!

Selwyn

Just got home and had a look at the DVD try this link http://www.strikeforcetv.com/ and type in RAF in the search

(PS I have no link with this company just got the site details off the DVD!)

Selwyn