This month I have continued my 70th Anniversaries modelling theme with a small, but relevant diversion to finish the year with yet another Harrier to add to my collection!

DSC_0913m.jpg

70 years ago this month, in preparation for the anticipated Allied landings in Sicily the following year, 899 Sqn formed up at RNAS Hatston in the Orkney Islands on 15th December 1942, equipped with 12 Seafire IICs and a core complement of 6 pilots from 880 Sqn.

DSC_0915m.jpg

Sword's marvellous 1/72 twin stick harrier kit includes colourful tail markings from 1992, when 899 celebrated their 50th Anniversary. The kit comes in two separate variants (thus far); an early AV.8/T.2 (in RAF and USMC markings) and this T.4 version in a choice of RN or RAF markings, the latter with the extended laser nose.

DSC_0917m.jpg

Moulded in Sword's familiar soft blue-grey plastic, it looks very similar in breakdown to the ESCI Harrier kit, which augurs well. Better still it comes with a pre-coloured photo etch set and a single resin part, all for a remarkably reasonable price. Lightly engraved surface detail is good and the overall shape and accuracy seem to have attracted comparatively little criticism from the Harrier buffs, bar some concerns about the width of the upper wing "hump". Mine seemed to be well moulded throughout, although some other modellers have encountered a few short shot and distorted parts.

DSC_0925ms.jpg

As might be expected with a short run kit, building it requires a little patience and skill, but for the most part I found the fit of parts to be very good. Two areas gave me some grief: firstly the intakes, whose inner wall parts would not fit happily around the compressor blades and required a little trimming (which may just have been my misunderstanding of the build sequence). There was also a nasty sprue attachment point just inside the outer lip that required some fiddly removal. Secondly, the fuselage did not fit together nicely. Fit at the the back and forward was really quite good, but less so along the middle, leaving a nasty gap on the underside and above the rear cockpit that needed (and was easily resolved with) some Tippex filler.

DSC_0918m.jpg

There were also a few minor niggles; the PE was very fiddly to apply (I really hate superglue!) and the attachment point of the nose-wheel leg was rather vague, leaving it a little lower than I would have preferred. There were also a few awkward ejector stubs, most noticeably in the wing halves, but these were easily trimmed and gave me no real problems. Decals are by Techmod, who always look good although I have had problems with them cracking before - however I am pleased to report that this was not a problem on this kit and they settled down very nicely with a little Klear to bed them in.

Note that the instrucitons would have you fit the internal windscreen upside down and that the canopy may not fit that easily if you do put it the right way up, but not in exactly the right place! The canopies were nicely thin and clear, albeit rather disapointingly without the very prominent Harrier MDC either moulded in or supplied as a decal. Unfortunately something went slightly wrong when I applied Klear to them (dust I think) and one of them became a little cloudy looking; mea culpa. As is my usual practice with Harriers, I swopped the pitot for asteel pin in the interests of long term survival.

DSC_0914m.jpg

Other than that though, this kit really is very nice, a quantum leap forward from the ancient Bobkit Harrier, definitely excellent value and thoroughly recommended to those with moderate building skills and a love of the Harrier!

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fred.

Your model looks great, I plan to do the same camo scheme . Which type of grey (Humbrol colour ?) did you use to paint your model ?

Sword indicates a dark grey...

Thanks for your future answer

Pierre

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Now what we all need is a set of black T8N markings for this kit (since the Model Alliance ones are no more)!

Hi Fred.

Your model looks great, I plan to do the same camo scheme . Which type of grey (Humbrol colour ?) did you use to paint your model ?

Sword indicates a dark grey...

Thanks for your future answer

Pierre

Hi Pierre - I used Humbrol Satin Enamel 164 (Dark Sea Grey), with a very light oily wash in the panel lines.

Regards,

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Now what we all need is a set of black T8N markings for this kit (since the Model Alliance ones are no more)!

Regards,

Hi Fred - long time admirer of your work (& website)!

I aluded to the requirement of a good sheet in a previous comment: the Model Alliance 'Twin Stick' sheet is ok, but no stencls etc...

Hello Xtradecal?