1/72 YF-16 prototype

I failed to meet the F-16 GB deadline, but finally the model is finished. The model is built from the Hasegawa YF-16 kit as a base, with extra parts from Hasegawa's F-16A. Wheel wells and jet nozzle are resin parts from Aires while the jet intake is CMK. Decals are by Vingtor Decals.... Here are photos of the finished model.

YF-16_65_800.jpg

YF-16_66_800.jpg

YF-16_67_800.jpg

YF-16_68_800.jpg

YF-16_69_800.jpg

YF-16_70_800.jpg

I will finish off this build with a photo the YF-16 together with the YF-17, a model that I did some 20 years ago. It was converted from the ESCI F-18A kit. The model is finished in Canadian markings, as a promotion aircraft for the Northrop CF-18L that was offered to the Canadians. Maybe I should polish it down and repaint it in YF-17 prototype markings.

YF-16_71_800.jpg

Nils

• Like 5

Looks superb. This is definitely the best F-16 scheme even many years after it was made.

I tried to build the Revell(?) kit of the YF-16 many years ago before it entered service. Problem was with all that masking I couldn't get it right using Humbrol Enamels and Halfords masking tape so it got binned. I then saved up my pocket money and had another go but that was a mess as well. Amazingly the little tow tractors and engines live on and one of the engine dollies is still in my cabinet with a 1/48 J79 on top.

Colin

That's a beaut Nils. I was following your work during the GB & I know how much went into it so I'm glad to see it finally finished :goodjob:

The thing that strikes me most is how different this "pretty delicate little" jet is from the latest Block-52s (or whatever they're up to now) that the F-16 has morphed into over 30+ years.

I just love the colour scheme of that aircraft, it just stands out above all others in my opinion. Ever since i saw the same aircraft at Mildenhall in the 70's i've been a fan!

Great job and presentation in showing off the scheme.

I've been in love with the F-16 since seeing this prototype as a 11 year old, it inspired me to become a lifelong aviation enthusiast, and I was over the moon when, in 1987, I got my hands on the fighting falcon as a crewchief with the RNLAF. :-)