Here's all the modelling I've done so far for 2012, minus a few binned failures (AZ Spitfire Vb with horribly askew landing gear, some others) and a Whif (USN Sea Hawk). I expect to finish a Merlin and hopefully a fast jet before the arrival of the new year, but this is probably pretty representative of my work as a whole. Please excuse the quality of the photos, I use my phone camera, and please excuse the quality of the models as well.

IMG_20121205_151508.jpg

IMG_20121205_151318.jpg

IMG_20121205_151325.jpg

IMG_20121205_151338.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a good output and good looking fit and finish too.

You have got me thinking with this post. I should keep a log of what I have done and when. Most of my building time is during the Winter months but I can't remember what I built around the beginning of this year.

Steve.

I'dve done more, but we bought a house and I spent several months refurbishing the interior before I could get back to work. This is probably about half (at best, probably closer to a third) of what I did last year, when I still did everything with a paintbrush. Now I take a lot more care in assembly and painting and pay more attention to filler, sanding off mold lines, etc., all things I've learned here. For 2013, I'm hoping to learn how to scribe and rescribe, and maybe even how to weather. But I feel like I'm approaching the near-mythical "average modeller" level of skill at long last. Also, now that I'm a man of property, I can finally start on my Valiant (to be done in a bare-metal Suez scheme) and Lancasters!

Good taste in reading material (David Halberstam: "The Fifties - the "smiley" here reminds me of some of the movies out then that good little boys weren't supposed to know about) :bouncy:

Great models. Can't help but think that sitting the Wyvern next to a Spit' wasn't a good idea though, polar opposite looks wise :D

Something wonderful/awful happened in

British postwar aircraft design, where only airplanes so ugly that they were beautiful again seemed to get built (Hunter excepted); TSR2 (beautiful/cancelled), Valiant & Victor (straight out of Thomas the Tank Engine/built), Wyvern (banana-shaped), P.1154 (gorgeous/cancelled)...think about it, won't you? Anyway, I love the Spitfire above all, but I have a strange fondness for the Wyvern's clumsy beauty, too. Also, they're next to each other because I'm a little crazy, and I like to think of my models as an aviation museum in miniature, so I can finally get a sense of scale.

Good taste in reading material (David Halberstam: "The Fifties - the "smiley" here reminds me of some of the movies out then that good little boys weren't supposed to know about) :bouncy:

I'm following up the ubiquitous Bill Bryson's Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and J. Ronald Oakley's God's Country: America in the 1950s. It's such a fascinating decade in American (and world, obviously) history. I'm hoping to read Empire of the Clouds after this, if I can find a copy.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! I daresay my builds don't look as nice up close as most of yours, and I'm almost invariably envious of the work I see here every day. I'm happy to read that I am exceptional at least in build time, though!

As an aside: did anyone write a book like Eric Grove's postwar history of the Royal Navy Vanguard to Trident for the RAF?

Something wonderful/awful happened in

British postwar aircraft design, where only airplanes so ugly that they were beautiful again seemed to get built (Hunter excepted); TSR2 (beautiful/cancelled), Valiant & Victor (straight out of Thomas the Tank Engine/built), Wyvern (banana-shaped), P.1154 (gorgeous/cancelled)...think about it, won't you? Anyway, I love the Spitfire above all, but I have a strange fondness for the Wyvern's clumsy beauty, too. Also, they're next to each other because I'm a little crazy, and I like to think of my models as an aviation museum in miniature, so I can finally get a sense of scale.

I really like the Wyvern, it's a beast. but next to a Mitchells greatest work, it looks like it was penned by a child. :D

The only exceptions I can think of to your rule are the Hunter, Hawk and Vulcan. I like the Frightening but it's hardly a conventional looker.

However, Anglo-French aircraft design put out a few stunners, namely Concorde and Jaguar.