New Book on Malta Spit V Colours

JohnT

As expected, I just received a scripted response from some poor soul who's either working late in the UK or ZA or doing the night shift in Hyderabad, telling me that they are sorry, that the title is not released until 28 April, that they will dispatch it as soon as they receive it, etc etc...

Oh, well, let's wait and see...

:tumble:

I ordered the book directly from MMP last Wednesday, and received my copy today. Not bad, I think, considering the Easter holidays inbetween.

Nils

So, any further feedback from those of you lucky enough to have received the book already..?

What are your personal thoughts on this tome written about what possibly is the most contentious topic in WW2 RAF camouflage?

:poke:

I didn't want to say much while others were still waiting, but the book really is very good indeed. Also, I find it all too easy to go into long essay mode on the subject! If you are familiar with the subject you've heard most of it before, if not it takes too long. In this book you will find lots of photos, lots of high quality profiles, with considerable discussion of the pros and cons of what has been said, and what can be said, about the different schemes on different deliveries. I'm still taking on board some of the ideas, and I think he's missed a couple of useful points. Nothing terribly dramatic, but I don't want to argue them out here (at the moment) when most of you won't have the book in front of you, and I haven't raised them with Brian himself yet.

He is expecting a barrage of comments.....

Thank you Graham,

I am even more looking forward to receiving the book when it comes, and I am glad that you are giving it an overall positive recommendation.

Roll on May!!!

I didn't want to say much while others were still waiting, but the book really is very good indeed. Also, I find it all too easy to go into long essay mode on the subject! If you are familiar with the subject you've heard most of it before, if not it takes too long. In this book you will find lots of photos, lots of high quality profiles, with considerable discussion of the pros and cons of what has been said, and what can be said, about the different schemes on different deliveries. I'm still taking on board some of the ideas, and I think he's missed a couple of useful points. Nothing terribly dramatic, but I don't want to argue them out here (at the moment) when most of you won't have the book in front of you, and I haven't raised them with Brian himself yet.

He is expecting a barrage of comments.....

I can't wait to get my copy. Do you know if there are any plans to cover Italian aircraft (of any type) in the future?

WW2 Italian colours are a bit of a minefield to be fair, and the last time a fairly comprehensive study was published was with the 1997 reprint of "Colori E Schemi Della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943" (I still have my copy of the original first edition I bought when I was a kid back in 1977), now a bit dated in places and only in Italian anyway. The series "Ali e Colori" sums up some good info on particular types and the three "Caccia E Assalto" volumes are a good compendium for WW2 Italian fighter colours (with perhaps a few debatable profiles in volume 3). For the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana, "Camouflage and Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana" remains an example of how a book on C&M should be written (some new info has emerged since the book was published but this mainly affects some markings on G.55 fighters and perhaps colours of ERLA-built late-series Bf 109 G). More interesting info on markings can be found in the old but still relevant "Regia aeronautica : colori e insegne : velivoli stranieri con insegne italiane, velivoli italiani con insegne straniere, 1935-1943" published by Intergest in 1974.

All this blurb I have just written is to say that there is no comprehensive one-volume reference available on C&M of the Italian Air Force in WW2 but also that a lot of what has been published is more the fruit of deductions than of hard evidence and that the debate on several controversial points is still ongoing and it is even dubious if it will ever die down...

"Camouflage and Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana" remains an example of how a book on C&M should be written

Ditto. Pity it was the last book of either author.... :(

"Camouflage and Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana" remains an example of how a book on C&M should be written

Ditto. Pity it was the last book of either author.... :(

Absolutly the way it should be done.

As for Cauchi's book, Amazon US indicates that it cannot obtain the book and has cancelled my pre-order, as is the case with the Hungarian Colours book. Seems MMP distribution is a bit messed up here in the US. Often hit amd miss from dealers in the US. Seems to be an effort to keep the books out of the hands of discount sellers.

Edited by Steven Eisenman

I don't think Hungarian Colours is out yet. I suspect the Malta book just hasn't had time to get to the US, being just out last week. I know that both the Polish and British sides of the operation have copies. Maybe someone from the publishers can comment?

Having seen the preview of this book it seems to match a lot of the research that I have been doing myself so I`m looking forward to reading it a lot. I hope that it isn`t delayed any longer because I ordered my copy in October!!

I`ve got a book being published myself about Malta this summer!

Come on Mushroom,...finger out!

All the best

Tony

I don't think Hungarian Colours is out yet. I suspect the Malta book just hasn't had time to get to the US, being just out last week. I know that both the Polish and British sides of the operation have copies. Maybe someone from the publishers can comment?

Hi,

As a member of the Publisher team I can say, that all dates at Amazon usually based on our schedule, but very often books were, and will be delayed so ...

Also we need about two weeks to deliver copies to our UK distributor and 5-7 weeks to deliver to USA.

We have just delivered Malta copies to UK, so they should be available in Amazon.uk soon.

Of course, all books are available via MMP website the earliest.

We are working on the Hungarian Fighter Colous book right now.

To stay informed follow us on the FB: http://www.facebook.com/mushroomModelPublications

and Twitter:twitter.com/MMP_books

Regards

Robert Peczkowski

MMP/Stratus

Having seen the preview of this book it seems to match a lot of the research that I have been doing myself so I`m looking forward to reading it a lot. I hope that it isn`t delayed any longer because I ordered my copy in October!!

I`ve got a book being published myself about Malta this summer!

Come on Mushroom,...finger out!

All the best

Tony

Tony, any chance you could enlighten us with some inside information about your new book? How about a list of chapters for a start.

Always had a keen interest with the air war over Malta, so can happily say that I will purchase a copy.

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Hi,

Special offer for the Forum readers!

MMP can offer an 15% discount for Malta Spitfire Vs - 1942 book.

Just use coupon code in your shopping Cart: BritModMalta

in our Online Shop: http://mmpbooks.biz/shop2/product.php?productid=17644

Offer valid till end of April.

Regards

Robert Peczkowski

MMP/Stratus

Thank you Robert. I placed my order.

If you mean by Brian, I rather doubt it. As for MMP/Stratus I've no idea, but examples will be covered in their forthcoming Fighter Colours series on Sweden, Hungary, Finaland and Poland. Plus last year's Mc202 book.

Graham: Oops, I managed to throw that off topic again. Apologies for that. I was thinking more along the lines of Italian Aircraft over Malta, as in this model kit combo:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/kits/sword72070reviewmd_1.htm

Robert: Many thanks for the discount. Very much appreciated. I have placed my order today, though I am unsure if it will reach me before I move houses (I live in Australia)!

Super Aereo: Thank you for going into such detail concerning the Italian colours. I have a soft spot for their fighter aircraft and this will help me select the right research material!

Cheers,

Mark

Tried ordering the Mushroom book today but could not use the discount code? There was nowhere to apply it.

What a shame,

Tony O

Tried ordering the Mushroom book today but could not use the discount code? There was nowhere to apply it.

What a shame,

Tony O

Hi,

Please click on View cart after ordering not Checkout then you will see Coupon code frame where you need to type the discount code.

Regards

Robert

Hiya Robert,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly but when I click on View Cart there is nothing saying Coupon Code, there are only boxes saying Update Item or Update Cart.

I have the book on pre order with Amazon for £12 odd, will I still pay this price with them when they get their copies, or will it go up?

Cheers

Tony O

PS- Just bought the Valentine book `Into the Vally',...very good indeed!

Hiya Robert,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly but when I click on View Cart there is nothing saying Coupon Code, there are only boxes saying Update Item or Update Cart.

I have the book on pre order with Amazon for £12 odd, will I still pay this price with them when they get their copies, or will it go up?

Cheers

Tony O

PS- Just bought the Valentine book `Into the Vally',...very good indeed!

Hi,

I can't anything about Amazon's pricing policy.

Regards

Robert

Buying books at low prices might seem like a good idea. It may however result in the autors and publishers not earning from their effort, and hence, future books which you might like to have, will not be released.

Keep this in mind when doing "a bargain".

Nils

Vingtor, blame Amazon if you like, but not the buyers: many of us have to make sacrifices to buy books and any saving we can make is welcome.

Less money on a book you wrote is still better than no money...

What the heck, this is skint Britain, after all..!

:shrug:

• Like 1