1/48 - Saab JAS 39C Gripen by KittyHawk - released

Homebee

Nice picture, but isn't that Gripen s/n 39101, the first production airframe JAS 39A, which was used by saab as a test A/C it's entire life before it was retired a few years back.

It sure is!

I certainly hope this will be a good kit, my wallet is already hurting..

Nice picture, but isn't that Gripen s/n 39101, the first production airframe JAS 39A, which was used by saab as a test A/C it's entire life before it was retired a few years back.

Perfect illustration of the now famous KittyHawk lack of research and art of approximation...

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

As i thought

Just hope that they don't do the same misstake on the decal options.

There is (was?) a JAS 39C test A/C with a similar marking (jas 39-6) that is used for testing out the new meteor missile among other things. My guess is that they got those mixed up. That one is marked with a "6" on the fin instead of the "101" pictured and the caption under the griffon is "test A/C 39C" with the text meteor added.

I think two bobs have done decals for both of theese A/C

I'm not sure if Mr. Song is reading this, but if he is I would just like to correct the box before going to print.. The plane is called JAS 39C Gripen and NOT Jas-39C!! JAS is short for Jakt Attack Spaning (Fighter Attack Reconnaissance). I'll buy the kit anyway, but if it's not too late to fix..

• 2 months later...

I assume this is good for a Thai version?

Yes, you can build a thai version if you have decals for it (can be found in the mark 1/4+ publication) http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/publications/56-saab-jas-39-gripen-colours-and-markings

What you can't build is the first decal option depicted without some major surgery to the plastic parts since those markings are for a JAS 39A test A/C. What I have seen so far you can only make a JAS 39C from what's inside the box despite what they have written on the box art.

But it would be very nice if they actually made the kit so you can build both A and C versions.

• 3 weeks later...

This is out on sale in Hong Kong. I picked one up yesterday, I can't post any pics as I'm in a hotel room but on initial inspection I can tell you that there is no drop tank included and two of the weapon sprues are from the Mirage F.1B kit . The DWS(?) dispenser and RBS.15 are included as are two IRIS-T missiles (which have ejector pin marks on them and look a bit on the thin side) and two AIM-120C AMRAAM as well as two AIM-9M Sidewinders.You get a complete engine (why??)but no intakes which is like the RoG Rafale kit in that you can see straight into the fuselage, the refuelling probe is only shown as deployed although it shouldn't be too hard to fix that and the expendables dispensers are only shown in the instructions as open. Airbrakes are shown on the instructions as open. The kit is set up with front and rear fuselage parts so a Gripen two seater may appear at some point

Four decal options

Swedish AF Meteor test a/c

Czech AF with a tiger marking on the tail

Hungarian AF

South African AF

Stephen

Edited by Stephen