Restored Panther showing it's prowess.

AngloSaxon

• 3 weeks later...

They use to drive the one at Ft. Knox here in the U.S.A. around for shows on post till some time in the late 1980's early 1990's but stopped because they were afraid of damaging it. The hull is the only Panther II hull owned by any one. At the time it was found at the factory, there where no small turrets done so the Army put a Panther G turret on it for testing.

• 3 weeks later...

They use to drive the one at Ft. Knox here in the U.S.A. around for shows on post till some time in the late 1980's early 1990's but stopped because they were afraid of damaging it. The hull is the only Panther II hull owned by any one. At the time it was found at the factory, there where no small turrets done so the Army put a Panther G turret on it for testing.

There used to be the shot remains of a Panther II small turret outside the Tank Museum at Bovingdon. It has now been removed, hopefully indoors, but I know no more.

IIRC it was retrieved from the ashes of Germany for study and then relegated to the nearby gunnery range as a hard target. Only later was the uniqueness of this turret recognized and it was taken to the museum. Unfortunately by then it had taken one or two direct hits and when I saw it for the first time it looked very Swiss-cheesey

Christian the Married and living in exile

Looks great only why did they put zimmerit on it? This was clearly built after the application ceased in mid-September '44. (I believe it is actually one of a batch built for the British army post-war). The pattern is wrong for a Panther too, more like a Tiger.

I'm halfway through applying zimm to a Panther right now and it's enough work in 1/35 to make me wonder how much time it takes in 1/1!

Stuart

There used to be the shot remains of a Panther II small turret outside the Tank Museum at Bovingdon. It has now been removed, hopefully indoors, but I know no more.

The Schmalturm is now in one of the exhibition halls.

• 3 years later...

Reminds me of a panther found in a town kinda close to me last year.

Was a pretty big headline/deal as its was illegal but Bundeswehr mechanics help the guy repairing the engine.

They also find a flak, a V1 , a torpedo and several machine guns in his cellar.

(Article in german; pic and vid might be interesting

http://www.shz.de/regionales/schleswig-holstein/panorama/kein-museumsstueck-der-panzer-im-keller-id12296296.html

)

I am really sorry for hijacking this thread

Edited by Levin