Opinions on 1/72 Spit Mk V's

Brian J

I am thinking about getting around to filling in some of the voids in my 1/72 Spitfire collection. I am embarrassed to say I have never built a Spit V because of all the criticism I have heard about inaccurate kits of that version. I have two Tamiya kits but put in on the back shelf due to many negative comments.

Having read positive comments on the recently released Sword Mk XVIe, I picked one up and was impressed. I see where they have also released a Mk Vc and a Vc Trop version. How does their Mk V's compare with their Mk XVI's? Heck, if ya can't get sound input on Spitfires on Britmodeller, where can ya go?

Has anyone built the Tamiya and Sword Mk V's and could they comment on them? For that matter, any input on the above kits would be welcomed.

Which brings the question of which V do you want to build?

The Sword Vc is the best of that lot available today. The Tamiya's a bit nicer build though, but the Sword is the better Spitfire (and prior to the recent IX/XVI releases from Sword and AZ, arguably the best Spitfire in 1/72). I've not had my mitts on the IX/XVI yet so I can't comment on how they compare to the older Vc tool. I'd suspect they're very similar though. Note that the Sword Vc's do reward careful assembly of the wing/fuselage joint, it's the main issue with the kit and can be a real stumbling block.

Note that Airfix's rather nice Ia/IIa boxing also has the correct bits for a Va and is therefore the best Va you can get (and probably the only one you can get easily). You'll be hunting for decals though, Va's are not the most readily findable as they weren't exactly built in large numbers.

Vb's are the grey area. You've got Airfix's old one, which is the right shape and Revell's new one which is nicely molded but has a glaring error in the lack of the gull wing at the rear half of the wing/fuselage joint. There's a few others around including the HobbyBoss, which actually can be nice if you have the right donor kit for the missing bits (like LG covers) and to replace the canopy and spinner/prop.

Usually I build 1/48, but I decided to try a couple of Sword's tropical Spitfire Vc, and began one this past weekend.

Being a short run injection type, there are no location pins/holes for joining the major parts. To get the best possible fit at the wing roots, I've gone against the conventional rules and glued the upper wing halves to the fuselage sides first, with the one piece bottom wing to be added afterwards.

To help placement and strength, I took some tabs off the sprue trees and glued them to the wing edges. After glue had set, the rearmost tabs required some grinding from the dremel tool, as test fitting showed they obstructed placement of the bottom wing section.

404860894.jpg

After the fuselage halves, with upper wings already attached, had been joined and the glue had time to cure, I tried a test fit of the lower wing to this. It is looking very promising.

The only downfall up to this point is the landing gear doors. I usually build gear up position, and instead of sitting flush within the wing openings, the doors are sitting on top.

regards,

Jack

For a Mk.Vb, I'd try the AZ kits. They are short run but nonetheless fairly good. Much more accurate than Tamiya if less easy to go together. Not actually difficult, but what is better than Tamiya when it comes to fit? I have to qualify this because I do not have one of the short-nosed Merlin Spitfires from AZ but do have others in their range, and have observed the comments on this site and others.

For a Mk.Vc, then I agree that Sword is the best. Avoid the Airfix and the Pioneer/PM.

For a Mk.Va, then yes the new Airfix Mk.I/II. Although their panel lines will appear drastic in comparison with the others, the basic shape is there.

I'd say the Sword is the best of the three kits I've recommended. It would certainly make a nice comparison to build all three alonside each other.

The faults have been listed many times, but possibly not recently The wing does not have the correct elliptical shape on the trailing edge. The wing does not start to curve forward at the limit of the fairing, as Tamiya offers, but from very near to the centreline. It is already pointing forward by the time the fairing is reached. This only makes a slight difference to the chord at the root, but this difference increases moving outboard before it curves to the tip. If the Tamiya wing is sanded down to the correct shape, the flap is reduced to half its chord. Been there, done that. The fuselage is also too fat, particularly in the section at the rear of the canopy down to the wing. It appears too podgy. In its original Mk.I version, the exhausts and prop weren't too brilliant either, but the Mk.V is better in that respect. It has been accused of having the cockpit canopy in the wrong place, with too short a tail, but I believe that is false. Oh, and the outer machine gun muzzles should be removed for any wartime Spitfire, but that's easy enough to put right (that may just be the Mk.1 anyway).

Think of it as a six-foot scale Spitfire. From six foot away it looks good. Closer, it has excellent fit and fine surface detail, with a good interior and undercarriage. However, if you think that a Spitfire model should have the same shapes as the original, look elsewhere.

Usually I build 1/48, but I decided to try a couple of Sword's tropical Spitfire Vc, and began one this past weekend.

Being a short run injection type, there are no location pins/holes for joining the major parts. To get the best possible fit at the wing roots, I've gone against the conventional rules and glued the upper wing halves to the fuselage sides first, with the one piece bottom wing to be added afterwards.

To help placement and strength, I took some tabs off the sprue trees and glued them to the wing edges. After glue had set, the rearmost tabs required some grinding from the dremel tool, as test fitting showed they obstructed placement of the bottom wing section.

404860894.jpg

After the fuselage halves, with upper wings already attached, had been joined and the glue had time to cure, I tried a test fit of the lower wing to this. It is looking very promising.

The only downfall up to this point is the landing gear doors. I usually build gear up position, and instead of sitting flush within the wing openings, the doors are sitting on top.

regards,

Jack

This is the way I build models of ANY fighter/monoplane with this type of construction breakdown.

Wing root joints are a doddle ad can be done without any filler whatsoever.

I've made 2 Sword Spitfire Mk Vc's. The second one is from a SAAF squadron with 4 cannons - I thought it would be rude not to use up all 4 lovely resin cannons! They are excellent kits and I highly recommend them. I've also got a Seafire Mk II and Spitfire XVI by Sword to build.

thanks

Mike

I can vouch for the care needed on the wing/fuselage join. I have a Sword Seafire XVII under construction and managed to completely hash that join. If the wing top halves are glued to the wing bottom first, then fit to the fuselage, the wing is too thin from about half cord on back to the trailing edge, with about a 1mm step at the trailing edge where the wing upper surface meets the wing/fuselage fairing.

At first I thought it was something I had done, but when I examined my kit of the Seafire XV, fastening the wing halves and fuselage halves with tape and then fitting the wings, the same step was there.

I can vouch for the care needed on the wing/fuselage join. I have a Sword Seafire XVII under construction and managed to completely hash that join. If the wing top halves are glued to the wing bottom first, then fit to the fuselage, the wing is too thin from about half cord on back to the trailing edge, with about a 1mm step at the trailing edge where the wing upper surface meets the wing/fuselage fairing.

At first I thought it was something I had done, but when I examined my kit of the Seafire XV, fastening the wing halves and fuselage halves with tape and then fitting the wings, the same step was there.

Sorry to be a contrarian, but I didn't have this problem at all with the Sword Vc. The key (which I've learned the hard way from other Spitfire kits I've built) is to dryfit, and get the wing halves perfectly aligned and glued as flush as possible.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=250713&view=findpost&p=2408919

Sorry to be a contrarian, but I didn't have this problem at all with the Sword Vc. The key (which I've learned the hard way from other Spitfire kits I've built) is to dryfit, and get the wing halves perfectly aligned and glued as flush as possible.

http://s362974870.on...dpost&p=2408919

I am sure there is way to make the wing fuselage join work, but when I made sure the upper wing half was fit tight to the bottom wing (no gap or step at the flap leading edge) the resulting wing assembly was too thin to meet the fuselage without a step at the trailing edge. I am sure I will do better on the next one, but my primary object in posting was just to reinforce the thought that careful preparation is needed. The next one will probably be done attaching the lower wing piece (sans uppers) and then fit the upper halves although I will test this methof using tape instead of glue first. Edited by Chuck1945

I always put the wings together, and the fuselage together, then bring the two together. It seems to me that anything else will produce problems in matching ailerons/flaps/dihedral, and if the wing doesn't fit nicely the "classic" way then it isn't going to fit any other way, but you are just making problems for yourself because it will be more awkward to fix.

Thank Czech kits for photos.

Dear Friends, even small word for this successful model. Two sprues will contain everything needed for Spitfire IB, IIB, VB and VBTrop.

Preparing a reissue of cleaned and repaired forms.

We will model in three boxes.

One will Mk.VB Trop Spitfire, more will Mk.VB Aboukirk Spitfire and the last box will Mk.VB Spitfire with red stars.

These updates will be available in 1Q/2013.

We hope that you will do with these models joy.

Thank Czech kits for photos.

Dear Friends, even small word for this successful model. Two sprues will contain everything needed for Spitfire IB, IIB, VB and VBTrop.

Preparing a reissue of cleaned and repaired forms.

We will model in three boxes.

One will Mk.VB Trop Spitfire, more will Mk.VB Aboukirk Spitfire and the last box will Mk.VB Spitfire with red stars.

These updates will be available in 1Q/2013.

We hope that you will do with these models joy.

Peter

Will you be issuing the Mk.Vb in a 3 kit 'Joy Pack' as you did with the Mk.IX?

Regards

Yes, Dear

The really interesting question for JOYPACK Spitfire VB.

I think it can. Although the form of short-run, quality is very good.

We try to prepare for this news already for January.

Thank you for the idea and your interest.

That would be great. I am sure that both myself (and Greenshirt) are not the only ones with lots and lots of decals already for Spitfire Vb aircraft just waiting for an accurate kit that doesn't require excessive "modelling skills" to build.

The faults have been listed many times, but possibly not recently The wing does not have the correct elliptical shape on the trailing edge. The wing does not start to curve forward at the limit of the fairing, as Tamiya offers, but from very near to the centreline. It is already pointing forward by the time the fairing is reached. This only makes a slight difference to the chord at the root, but this difference increases moving outboard before it curves to the tip. If the Tamiya wing is sanded down to the correct shape, the flap is reduced to half its chord. Been there, done that. The fuselage is also too fat, particularly in the section at the rear of the canopy down to the wing. It appears too podgy. In its original Mk.I version, the exhausts and prop weren't too brilliant either, but the Mk.V is better in that respect. It has been accused of having the cockpit canopy in the wrong place, with too short a tail, but I believe that is false. Oh, and the outer machine gun muzzles should be removed for any wartime Spitfire, but that's easy enough to put right (that may just be the Mk.1 anyway).

Think of it as a six-foot scale Spitfire. From six foot away it looks good. Closer, it has excellent fit and fine surface detail, with a good interior and undercarriage. However, if you think that a Spitfire model should have the same shapes as the original, look elsewhere.

Thanks Graham.

I posted this in the thread for Col's Seafire build, but it's just as applicable here:

The current boxing of the Airfix Vc (I know, but keep reading!) has, in addition to the Vb wing, the Vb canopy plus the hook section on the new Vc wing. Plus the decals are rather good too.

It's the same grey box but if it says 'Made in India' or 'Made in China', it'll have those bits. Nice to know that you can get a Seafire Ib out of the box!

I posted this in the thread for Col's Seafire build, but it's just as applicable here:

The current boxing of the Airfix Vc (I know, but keep reading!) has, in addition to the Vb wing, the Vb canopy plus the hook section on the new Vc wing. Plus the decals are rather good too.

It's the same grey box but if it says 'Made in India' or 'Made in China', it'll have those bits. Nice to know that you can get a Seafire Ib out of the box!

How current is this ? It's not listed on the airfix website.

Hook section? In 1.72? That'll be a first for Airfix, and a strong hint? Hopefully not a Seafire with the Mk.Vc wing - surely not?

The bits have been there for at least 3 years, the last time I purchased one. But not all boxes have them all; I actually bought 3 that day and while the boxes appeared identical, 2 of them had the Seafire bits while the third had the same sprues, but the a-frame hook was "clipped out" as you see when a variant is not included. Wasn't there a Seafire in the Airfix Club offering with a Swordfish and Martlet?

Tim

Not got so far as reading my own Seafire thread yet but the news a Seafire I at least if not II & III as well can be built more easily from the box inspired mixed reactions within me - both 'oh bugger' and 'woohoo' in roughly equal measure. Tempted to go raid the local Airfix stockists at the weekend now but perhaps waiting 'til the 2013 listing is released will be a safer option.