Holy **** it's Viper!

DaveJL

Hello all,

I'd like to present a bit of a 'side' project for the next month or so. Any 'Top Gun' fans out there may have an idea of what the title means, but to wet your appetite:

Dogfight

I plan to make a scene similar to the video above with a mighty F-14 chasing down a diminutive A-4.

The kits:

IMG_3526.jpg
IMG_3528.jpg

VF-124 decals for the F-14:

IMG_3527.jpg

References:

IMG_3529.jpg

I don't have any references for the A-4 bar the internet. Both will be mainly OOB except for the addition of the decals and a Master brass pitot tube for the F-14. I'll load both of them with ACMI pods from Hasegawa weapons set D.

I have a wooden base and I plan to drill holes for brass tube to display both the jets at 'dogfighting angles'

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

Dave, tried this before and there is not really a lot out there, If I remember correctly there was a thread over on ARC Forums about this, but I don't know if there any photos that you could use, but there should be plenty of references,

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. There doesn't seem to be a lot of pictures from the movie, but the clip i have posted above shows what I have in mind. There are however plenty of pictures of Miramar based A-4's and F-14A's:

VF-124 (the markings the Repliscale decals I have depict)

VF124-Tomcat-86.jpg

Note the 'Fightertown USA' writing on the tail just beneath the Gunfighters crest.

A-4E (This scheme is one of the Hasegawa decal options)

0526883.jpg

Photos aren't mine- being used for reference only!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

I suppose that this one is not as useful as you could wish it to be?

Try reading the names on the canopy and you realise how blatantly the film's been flipped! Why they couldn't rotate it instead I don't know...

Sounds like a great project Dave - take my advice, just whack them together and worry about paint/markings after that ;)

Tim

Try reading the names on the canopy and you realise how blatantly the film's been flipped! Why they couldn't rotate it instead I don't know...

Try getting two F-14s that close together and not have the vertical tails collide with each other, resulting in a big problem.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Be prepared to add a very gloss surface for those decals ! I've used repliscale decals of that vintage before and they silvered badly unless the surface was very gloss. I also have the 1/72 version of that sheet, one day I might build NJ-450.

Dave, a bit more info. I have a copy of Classic Aircraft from March 2010 which has a feature on the making of Top Gun,

primarily about the F-5s, but there is a photo of an F-14 and A -4 together. The A-4 is the same as the decal option from Hasegawa, but the F-14 carries fictional tail markings. Paramount picked two different markings, one from E-2 Hawkeye squadron, and the other from an F-18 Squadron. The photo shows the tail markings as a fist(black) holding a bolt of lightening (red). Hth. Look forward to seeing how you get on with this, and hope you don't lose that lovin' feeling,

Sean

Thanks for all the comments guys. The 'flipping the bird' scene with the F-14 and Mig-28 (F-5 to us) is another project i have planned!

Sean, thanks for the info. I'm not using the markings from the film, i'm just using the dogfight idea. The decals are for VF-124 Gunfighters at Miramar. The Squadron was responsible for F-14 training until VF-101 took over in 1994.

Giorgio, thanks for the tip. They look fine on the paper but i'll be sure to add 2 coats of gloss to the jet.

Dave

Probably is, given the two seats - although consulting a drawing, the tip of the T-38 tail comes up to the bottom (top from our perspective) edge of the Tomcat canopy names, so that's a very snug fit indeed!

Tim

Too close for me, but I'm sure Hollywood wouldn't portray it that way if it weren't possible. They're very good at keeping such things truthful on screen.

Cheers,

Bill (who wishes to provide the additional information that the aforementioned comment is provided solely for the purpose of promoting sarcasm and skepticism.)

• Like 1

Despite the unlikely '4g inverted dive with a Mig-28' event occurring without a serious mishap, it was still a great show!

Let's leave it there and focus on the dogfight! :lol:

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

• 3 weeks later...

Started this a few weeks back but have been unable to update the thread until now!

Only spent about 3 hours on it, but before I knew it the main fuselage was assembled (to be the fair, the previous owner had done a bit of work!)

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

I also built up the cockpit:

IMG_3576.jpg

Not much, but it's a start! Next up will be to add the intakes and ducting along with closing the landing gear doors and painting the cockpit. I plan to build the F-14 first then move onto the A-4.

More to come.

Dave

• 11 months later...

Any progress???

Nothing yet mate, had a bit of a lull with some builds and this was one of them and in my haste I sold my A-4 without realising I had this planned! Bit of a d'oh moment!

On the lookout for a replacement A-4 so hopefully will be able to crack on soon.

Dave