ICM 1/48 Bf 109 F-4

After a long layoff due to moving house, followed by decorating I've finally got my modelling kit out of the loft, have my own entire modelling room and I'm in with a group build!

This will hopefully be a quickie as it's basically OOB!

It will be "Yellow 4" from 9./JG 27 piloted by Obfw. Eberhard von Boremski with the decals coming from Eagle Cals

Its a tricky scheme but I like it!

EAG48131.jpg

Edited by Phil Podmore
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Very colorful scheme you chose, looking forward...

• 2 weeks later...

Shes all painted up and ready for decals.

the decal sheet suggests hard demarcations, but the photos I've got of the actual airframe suggests a much softer demarcation between the topside colours.

As always please ignore the appalling iPhone photos!

IMG_1615_zpsee6f53d8.jpg

IMG_1614_zpsae1ec6d5.jpg

IMG_1613_zpsc3979d1d.jpg

IMG_1616_zps57bbfab5.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shes coming along great there Phil, lovely work on the camo.

How did you find the fit on the cowling as it looks like you have got it all together really neatly - did you leave the motor out in the end?

Was wondering did yours have a dirty great lip/sink mark on the underside fuselage join, the revell reboxing of this kit that i am doing has but dont know if its a consistent problem with these kits?

Cheers, Stu

There was No Way the engine was going to fit with the cowling closed, so I just ended up omitting the engine entirely, which now makes addition of the exhausts a real pain!

There was a dreadful 'fold' in the plastic along the rear, underside fuselage join - which was a killer to fill.

The plastic was really 'soft' and my fingers took the brunt of scalpel slips, some of the fit wasn't 'positive' either - but for £7.99 you get a decent looking kit of a relatively un-modelled mark (I would say that as I have three others in the stash!)

Decals are now on, and flat coat will go on tonight, followed by weathering - the airframe looks quite clean in the photos I have so I havent gone to town on the chipping this time, but the next aircraft I do will barewly have any paint on her at all!

I wasn't at all sure about this scheme when you posted the pics in post #6, but you've really pulled it off, it looks fantastic Phil.

So, can I ask...ICM 109's, :thumbsup2: or :thumbsdown:

I've never built one, and I am wondering whether I ever should now there is the Zvezda offering.

I wasn't that sure when I started either - but I feel it's turned out quite well!

for the price of the kit <£10, I think it's well worth the money! - but not a patch (as far as I've heard) of the build quality of the Zvezda F-series

• 2 weeks later...

Great work there Phil, the weathering has tied that all together really nicely and she really does look the part.

IMHO the kit as you have shown can be built into a great model, its a bit flashy and the fit of the cowl seems to require the motor left completely out if being done closed up but definately worth the low price tag and a bit of messing around - and the decals in the revell reboxing are great.

Cheers, Stu