Bit of help required......

DaveH

I've just got to the painting stage of my T28C Trojan, here's the question, is it Red or international orange.......

Instructions say red, but a couple of reviews I've seen use int orange

I've looked at some pic's, but there not much help.....

So if anyone can help, please let me know.....

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, having worked on many a/c with red paint on them,they do not stay red for long. After a while the Sun does its thing and the red turns a nice orange. I reckon you could use either, red for a just out of the paint shop look, or, orange for a been out on the flight line for a while look.................Smudge

Edited by swordfish fairey

For what it's worth, The T-45 trainer here at McDonnell Douglas/Boeing was painted Int. Orange. I can't say with the same certainty that earlier Navy trainers didn't deviate, but I think orange is still a safe bet.

The Navy specs call for FS 12197. Not to say no Navy jet has ever been painted another color, but the spec calls for orange. If you look at 12197, under many conditions, and with no other color to compare it to on the real airplane, it often looks red. It is a very red orange, but it is orange.

As others have said, USN trainers have used glossy white and international orange FS 12197 for a very long time. While other colours have been used on other white/red schemes, aircrafts used for training were not supposed to use these (that is different from saying that aircrafts designed for training didn't use them...).

Not all trainers used this scheme though: the scheme for single reciprocating engine types used for primary training was for a number of years in overall yellow

Thanks to all for the help, looks like orange has it...... need to get this one finished, just picked up a Mig F-13, can't wait to start this one, have to brush up on me alclad skills though.....

Cheers again,

Dave

Thanks Tony, truly orange compared to the red on the props...... mind you, the gull gray with the skull 'n crossbones on the tail looks very good.......what did I say about being decisive..........

Dave

Edited by DaveH