Airfix 2013, some interesting new releases!

Rob P

I'll second that.

Pavla have a conversion set for the Swordfish to night time U boat hunting.

Airfix look set to do the same, but issuing a full kit, as they did with the floatplane Swordfish.

If Airfix do an ASW Swordfish, I hope they'll leave the lovely 250 lb bombs and racks on the sprues, for all the myriad other British types they can be fitted to.

It seems that a 1:72 Lightning is pretty much a dead cert then - unless it's the other 1:48 variant re-released, in which case it's a very cruel tease! I think the Lightning came out near the top of a recent poll on Airfix's Facebook page though, so if I were a bookie I'd stop taking bets now :)

I like the idea of a Herculese engined Lancaster too. The lancaster must be one of Airfix's best earners over the years, so it makes perfect sense to replace it now.

If the Vampire turns out to be 1:72 then it'll be an excellent year for me :)

No sign of a 1:72 VC-10 though, which doesn't surprise me in the least *cough* commercial suicide *cough*

I know everyones after a 72nd Lightning, but look at the advernt calender date for the lightning, it's the 24th

i'm clutching at straws here but maybe, just maybe we're going to get a big Frightning..........

Dream maybe, but it's a good one....

Small thing chaps and chapesses - put a post on Airfix's wall jokingly asking if they'd give us a 1/48 Vulcan for Christmas, when they said this:

"We'd love to, but we're not sure we can :-) We will see what we can do!"

Could it possibly be?!

Edited by F111Fan

From the top:

1st FW190

2nd Gnat is probably a reissue in Yellowjacks markings

3rd not sure... Shws a twin and a Destroyer with the caption "Tauchen, Tauchen, Tauchen"

4th Japanese infantry

5th Eye in the Sy, Spitfire MkXIX which we already knew.

6th early 2nd world war/Malta Defender which I don' have to name. Those that want one will know what I ean.

7th Typhoon. No, not the jet.

8th A barnestorming idea. Not a plane in sight in the photo, just Michael Redgrave. Speculate about this one 'til your heart's content.

9th 2x4 transport? A wheely thing.

10th Nato ground crew.

14th - Mini WRC

22nd - a Ghurka

19th December

First of a line, what does that mean the photo looks like a Hawker Hunter ?

May be not

Airfix-sneak-peek-19dec.jpg

Its a 100gallon drop tank off of a Harrier. The pylon is from a GR1/3 or T2/4. First of the line suggests a GR1, though of course there is another pic somewhere of a GR3's LRMTS nose.

Questions: Is it 1/48th or 1/72nd? If its the latter, then will it share parts with the rather disappointing Sea Harriers? If its the former (unlikely given that they've just re-issued their mid-80's version) then whoooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Or could it be a re-issue in 1/24th?

Is it 1/48th or 1/72nd? If its the latter, then will it share parts with the rather disappointing Sea Harriers?

Please not: the Sea Harrier moulds should be buried in an extremely deep pit, nearly as deep as the MiG-15's. They are completely unworthy of Airfix's current state of development.

PS I'm just grateful that Airfix have at least 24 surprises lined up for us during 2013. That's about double what they managed in the whole of the 80s and 90s put together.

• Like 1

Please not: the Sea Harrier moulds should be buried in an extremely deep pit, nearly as deep as the MiG-15's. They are completely unworthy of Airfix's current state of development.

So... wot about a Generic first generation Harrier mould, building a GR1, GR3 or Sea Harrier FRS1...? It should be a simple matter to set up a mould where the noses and tails of the three versions are all on seperate small sprues. :bounce:

19th December

First of a line, what does that mean the photo looks like a Hawker Hunter ?

May be not

Airfix-sneak-peek-19dec.jpg

Look at the airbrake behind the wheel too, I'd say it's a Harrier 110%. Not sure on the wheel colour though?!

I'd say it's a Harrier 110%. Not sure on the wheel colour though

Looking at the chocks, the surface its parked on and that pole in the background I'd put money on it being a photo of an AV8A on one of the Carrier museums in the States.

So... wot about a Generic first generation Harrier mould, building a GR1, GR3 or Sea Harrier FRS1...? It should be a simple matter to set up a mould where the noses and tails of the three versions are all on seperate small sprues. :bounce:

If only...certainly in 1/48th - yes, but I can't see it happening in 1/72nd....they won't be re-tooling the recent Shar abominations unfortunately!

Less than enthusiastic at the prospect of yet another Spifire & FW190. However, not entirely unexpected & quite understandable. A Hercules powered Lancaster would be AWFULLY nice though!! Can't seem to open up anything after today (yet!!) . Guess Airfix have "closed" each door so it can only be opened on the appropriate day!! :weep: .Nice new Harriers DEFINITELY welcome - especially for my Harrier collection! :thumbsup: .

Edited by Albeback52

Less than enthusiastic at the prospect of yet another Spifire & FW190. However, not entirely unexpected & quite understandable. A Hercules powered Lancaster would be AWFULLY nice though!! Can't seem to open up anything after today (yet!!) . Guess Airfix have "closed" each door so it can only be opened on the appropriate day!! :weep: .Nice new Harriers DEFINITELY welcome - especially for my Harrier collection! :thumbsup: .

Yes a Mk II Lancaster would be good, and we might just get it. However, my money is on a re-tooled Dambuster.

I've not seen the pictures, but I have read that one is of Sir Michael Redgrave in his role of Barnes Wallis.

My two'pennorth then is this:

It's a reference to the film "The Dambusters", not to Barnes Wallis himself (rule out a new Wellington and/or a Grand Slam Lancsater).

Next year is the 70th anniversary of Operation Chastise. Airfix is not going to miss a marketing opportunity like that.

In order to maximise sales during the anniverasry it should be announced before May.

The current Dambuster Lancaster is only available in a gift set and could do with updating.

The thing is, what scale? Most likely 1/72, but considering the current price of Tamiya 1/48 Lancs, could Airfix mount a coup and bring one in consideably cheaper?

If we are going to get a new Lancaster my money is on definitely on the Dambuster.

Cheers

They re-tooled the new Hawk didn't they?

They did indeed Keef, but wasn't that just a minor amendment -to the undercarriage door? It would take a lot more than a mould-tweak to correct the awful screw-ups on the Airfix Shars, but what do I know?Stranger things have happened!

(And anyway I'm too busy working out the order of my list of Lightning F6 builds ...5 Sqn 1st I think.........)

They did indeed Keef, but wasn't that just a minor amendment -to the undercarriage door? It would take a lot more than a mould-tweak to correct the awful screw-ups on the Airfix Shars, but what do I know?Stranger things have happened!

(And anyway I'm too busy working out the order of my list of Lightning F6 builds ...5 Sqn 1st I think.........)

The kit was recut and slightly simplified with moulded-on wing fences, one piece canopy, revised main doors and much finer panel lines.