Airfix 2013, some interesting new releases!

Rob P

I *think* they come quite a way forward of the missile pylon but it could be a trick of the light. If they do, it's wrong for an F2A but it's easy to trim them back. So you'd have either an F2A or early F6 straight from the box, albeit with a little application of filler/trimming (delete as applicable)

It looks superb either way. And I have a real dislike for the F2A and F6.

Interesting that it's shown with Red Top as I can't remember if the F2A carried them or just Firestreak only. I suspect there's some flashed over holes on the inside of the wing and the belly tank to allow for the overwing tanks and gun blisters for the release of the F6 next year.

By the looks of it, there's no chance of an earlier mark out of the box as the wing leading edge and belly tank look to be moulded in as opposed to separate components. Still, means the aftermarket boys can get to work.

I saved the picture and then tried blowing it up to see if the longer cable ducts were there, unfortunately there's a highlight there (from the flash) so I couldn't tell. Anyway, extending the duct isn't too onerous if that's what's needed.

Wez

Aesthetics - they're portly and overweight plus they have the dullest schemes - the F1a, F2 and F3 were all really colourful.

My favourite is the one they never built - the EE P.6. Think Su 9 with Lightning wings.

I have to agree with the Wooksta! The earlier marks are better looking and had the best schemes - both for operational Sqn's, OCU, TTF's etc.

Wez

Can't help but feel Airfix missed a trick with the Lightning. Surely a F2a/F6 boxing would have been possible/a better seller a lá 1:48 kit?

Leaving an F1/F3 for next year.

A pity as I had my schemes and shopping list sorted in anticipation.

Can't help but feel Airfix missed a trick with the Lightning. Surely a F2a/F6 boxing would have been possible/a better seller a lá 1:48 kit?

Leaving an F1/F3 for next year.

A pity as I had my schemes and shopping list sorted in anticipation.

I'm hoping it's another of those apparent cases of a manufacturer producing the least popular subject first to get it out of the way. I also agree the early jets were by far the most aesthetically pleasing, & I really hope Airfix don't do another Canberra B2 & not produce them....

keef

I would imagine larger kit, higher retail price, more chance of offsetting the cost of the differences - the original Humbrol release did include a mad number of decal options.

can anyone make out how long the cable ducts on the lightning are also those harriers look mighty fine hope the gr1 comes with tiawan markings

regards Glenn.....

I'm assuming that the forward part of the cable duct is a separate part, just as the Aden Canon panel. This is how the 1/48th kit is broken down . Add the different forward belly section - then you have the F6 as well, which I'd further assume will appear in the Airfix catalogue in the future....or to Airfix Club members maybe, thats the sort of thing they'd do.......hmmm wheres my application from?

The Merlin,Vampire and Spitfire are out, I picked up the Merlin and Spitfire at my LHS today.The Merlin box is about the same size as the Sea Vixen one,no sneaking it past the other half.

Stephen :D:

I got a newsletter from Airfix today. Looks like the TSR 2 is out as well. I swore I'd never touch another Airfix 1/72 TSR 2 after the grief the damn things gave me when they first came out. However, I think I may be forced to revise my decision!! The new markings and those whopping great whizz bangs offer much "what if " potential!!

:lol:

V.P.

Looking at the Lightning again, wondering why would they model the airbrakes open and the flaps down - you would only ever see that configuration when the aircraft landed (or on take off for the flaps). OK on aircraft like the A-4 or the F-86 where the surfaces were down when the aircraft was parked, but on the LIghtning it just makes for a potential problem when modelling in a realistic configuration?

Looking at the Lightning again, wondering why would they model the airbrakes open and the flaps down - you would only ever see that configuration when the aircraft landed (or on take off for the flaps). OK on aircraft like the A-4 or the F-86 where the surfaces were down when the aircraft was parked, but on the LIghtning it just makes for a potential problem when modelling in a realistic configuration?

I totally agree Dave...

I would suspect that's more to show off the kit options rather than be an accurate representation of how a real Lightning would be parked.

I would suspect that's more to show off the kit options rather than be an accurate representation of how a real Lightning would be parked.

It was the kit I was curious about, rather than that particular model. The though came whilst browising through some Lightning books this am, and realising that the only shots showing the a/brakes open were on landing.

Ok. So it features positionable flaps and airbrakes! So what? Totally trivial surely. Don't deploy them if you don't want them! Simples! Then you can have your "realistically parked" Lightning !

• Like 1

Ok. So it features positionable flaps and airbrakes! So what? Totally trivial surely. Don't deploy them if you don't want them! Simples! Then you can have your "realistically parked" Lightning !

Yeah, but it's often a pain to fit them in the 'closed' position and get a clean joint.

Here's some pics of the first Hurricane test shots at Yeovilton today:

file_zps84c92221.jpg

file_zps0af0027e.jpg

From looking at the sprues the kit offers both the early and late type fabric winged aircraft with a choice of props, exhausts and ventral fillets - the design of the latter encompasses the whole of the fabric area on the underside of the fuselage. Chatting to the designer, he also mentioned some of the shape anomalies of the real Hurricane that often get missed, like the shape of the canopy in plan view. I tried photographing the fabric effect on the fuselage and wings but it just would not come out in the pics, which I guess is good news then! One little detail that I did like - drainage holes on the underside of the tailplanes!

More pics as and when.

Edited by Jonathan Mock
  • Like 3

Its you! :analintruder:

It is offset and moulded to the port side of the fuselage, there's a little bit of plastic on the stb side near the leading edge that makes up the difference in the twist.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Have to be honest, I can't see it in the photo but you've had a closer inspection with the mk 1 eyeball, so that's good enough for me!

Ta for those shots. I know a few who will have trouser accidents when they see them.

Have you got any close up shots of the Frightning? Specifically the cable ducts around the missile pylon?

Edited by The wooksta V2.0