Italeri Sunderland Mk II - RAAF 10 Squadron

An interesting FYI for you re the Airfix wing Roundels

Thanks for that - well spotted. It's not just a matter of using a circle cutter either as the centres are appropriately proportioned. Fortunately the Italeri ones from the kit are the right size and can be dulled down a bit.

Thanks for the encouragement - I shall ask Italeri for a percentage of a few sales!

Edited by Ed Russell

Just a small update to acknowledge some help......

Italeri upperwing roundels replacing the Airfix ones

The 'scoreboard' artwork sized up for a decal. (The codes and serials are the same)

P1070352_zps282f585f.jpg

This is an operational highlights record rather than 'kill' markings. The swastikas and fasces represent attacks on German and Italian submarines and the sausage represents a collision with a barrage balloon one foggy night. There is a book by one of the crew of R-Robert and he called the fasces "triple r's" - not the beneficiary of a classical education but his book is quite well written

http://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/16836/RAAF-Flying-Boats-at-War-The-Way-it-Was/9781876439484

and contains the only picture of W3983 in that colour scheme.

Edited by Ed Russell
  • Like 1

here's a couple more progress pictures. The Italeri upperwing roundels and Airfix flashes are very thin and adhere well. The older generation Italeri (ex Dakota) fuselage roundels needed lots of Mr Mark Softer, the home made decals were easy too.

score_-1_zpsffa395e4.jpg

P1070363_zps4f2a6308.jpg

Next some weathering............

• Like 2

Hi Ed

Your Sunderland looks really good, well done!!!

Those markings over the main hatch look good too, Any history on the Italian Sub kills?

The balloon marking reminds me of how Aussies/Kiwi's enjoyed a good laugh, there was

at RNZAFArdmore (near Auckland) in WWII, P 40's used for advanced training.

Story goes that during a mock dogfight, one P 40 collided with another (and survived the other didn't).

The ground crew added another flag to the Japanese kill markings there already, a New Zealand Flag :fool:

Thanks for posting photos of your model.

Regards

Alan

Lovely model I'm very tempted to get one. Now if Italeri's Stirling is half as good that would also be a winner. Nice paint job BTW and the treatment of the panel lines is excellent.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Mike

I don't get to see it now due to a case of the flu (I don't get that, its the middle of summer for cryin out loud) better not go and disease the fellas at club.

I wonder what the Sunderland would look like after a trip to the UK? Would it survive in one piece ?

• 3 weeks later...

here's a couple more progress pictures. The Italeri upperwing roundels and Airfix flashes are very thin and adhere well. The older generation Italeri (ex Dakota) fuselage roundels needed lots of Mr Mark Softer, the home made decals were easy too. score_-1_zpsffa395e4.jpgP1070363_zps4f2a6308.jpg Next some weathering............

Love the paint job!

• 5 weeks later...

As usual with my builds, there has been somewhat of a hiatus but it is back on track.

The next step is some weathering - from the photo further back (in Post 40) you can R-Robert was very heavily weathered at the time of the picture. I'm not usually a fan of great weathering but it seems in character for this aircraft. It was done with airushed paint, washes, pastels and chalks. The previously remarked on waterline scum mark and the boat scuff marks are plain on the picture.

P1070527_zps14639c74.jpg

The beaching gear comes in various colours - I have seen red, yellow and 'black' all mentioned. I have an eyewitness report of grey-blue on Sandringhams so I thought that would look nice.

P1070529_zps95f6e0ef.jpg

Someone asked in another post about float rigging. I used a combination of brass wire and Ezy-Line. First drill the 6 holes in wing underside, using plans to find them.

F1_P1070522_zps0ff7b163.jpg

Superglue the Eze-Line to the holes you have made in float sides and loosely insert the brass wire to holes in float tops

F2P1070523_zps1ed8f5b9.jpg

Attach the floats and use a support to keep them straight

F3P1070524_zps6f42a5e7.jpg

Use a clamp or similar to exert tension on one Eze-Line cable.

F4P1070526_zps05573e98.jpg

and superglue the opposite side into the pre-drilled hole

F5P1070525_zps5d8375db.jpg

Repeat 5 more times, turn the brass wire so the angled end goes into the appropriate hole and fix with superglue

P1070527_zps14639c74.jpg

Edited by Ed Russell

Hi Ed

Looking good, I quite like the way you have added the Porcupine exhausts, really creates the

whole menacing sub hunter look.

Thanks for thr tutorial on using Eze Line for float rigging. I'll have to have hunt here in NZ to see

if it can be purchased here.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

the gear casings on the engines should be a semi-gloss black colour.

Extrapolating from other Pegasus installations, I dare say you are right, and it's easy to fix at this stage, but looking at many photos shows the whole nacelle interior including engine to be a sort of dark grey shade in b&w photos. Museum examples are as you say.

• 2 weeks later...

Removing the cockpit masking tape showed, most unusually, a bit of paint bleed so it was cleaned up and the framing done with decal sheet. It needs a bit more clean-up and the circular 'cutters' supplied as etch brass need to be fitted.

01P1070532_zps56f44955.jpg

Next were some small details like the control horns. The Italeri ones are unusable and have been replaced by lengths of tapered plastic (cut from a comb) and lengths of brass wire.

02P1070534_zps29f9c3a6.jpg

The aerials were added.... the later type DF loop housing is from an Airfix Sunderland suitably re-shaped.

03P1070535_zps35879278.jpg

Then on to the suite of ASV aerials. The dorsal ones were made from plastic rod (re-shaped rockets) suitably tapered with brass wire dipoles.

04P1070538_zps773fc373.jpg

I used scale rulers, tape, dividers and plans to get the orientation correct for the dorsal and lateral holes in the fuselage. if I had thought about it more, I would have done this before joining the fuselage halves!!!!

05P1070533_zps9e02623e.jpg

I then realised that I would need to fit the underwing aerials first as I'd never be able to work on the thing once the fuselage aerials were fitted. So these were made also from plastic rod and brass wire and the positions marked, using a jig to ensure symmetry.

06P1070537_zpsda3650a1.jpg

Fitted into position they looked quite nice. They were probably supplied in a blued finish (alkali treated to form iron oxide) but the underside ones are clearly painted in pictures.

07P1070540_zpsca291d22.jpg

I think this model is going to be quite difficult to handle once it's finished so I will make a base for it. The next step is to drill out the wheels for pins to be fitted to anchor it to the base.

08P1070536_zps8d2f0915.jpg

Edited by Ed Russell
  • Like 1

Just about there - aerials, nav lights, turret framing (and the base)

I have been having problems pinning down aerial colour. Some but not most appear painted white. I have seen bomber (Monica etc) ones in a steel blue colour and this is what I aimed for

Plastic tube (stretched plastic handle cotton swab - tip from Libor Jekl) and 2 thicknesses of brass wire. Glue together and squash the tube a bit.

IMG_1021_zps6412ee8a.jpg

IMG_1023_zpsa23769f5.jpg

Unless there are any problems the next post should be in RFI

Edited by Ed Russell

• 4 weeks later...

This is looking brilliant Ed, the best Sunderland that I`ve seen so far by a long mile and I love the scheme.

Keep up the good work mate,

Tony O