-Sea going Stuka - as it was intended if..... -

- An oddity in 48 scale from the excellent Italeri kit.......not very often seen I suppose....It was a prototype designated Ju 87 C , intended to board the German navy aircraft carrier Graf ZEPPELIN

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6097.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

-Thanks for watching

Edited by IPMS19
  • Like 12

If you think that's crazy, my friend the late Dave Thompson (one helluva modeler as well as the President of the Erie PA Hell's Angels, and a great guy - what a combination) did this in scratchbuilt 1/32, and the wings worked. But then, he always admitted he was crazy.

• Like 1

That is a bit neat. That wing fold looks like it might be inspired by the Grumman system as used on Wildcats. Avengers etc. The scale is a bit big for me but I'd love to do one of these in 1/72, albeit without the details as in engine & folding wings. Is this a RLM 73/74 finish?.

Steve.

• Like 1

Fantastic model as always!

How did you do that very convincing weathering?

Kenneth

- Hi Kenneth,

- My usual way of weathering is to use Xtracolor matt varnish and Tamiya weathering powders.For this model; the weathering is very light keeping in mind that is is a prototype.

If you think that's crazy, my friend the late Dave Thompson (one helluva modeler as well as the President of the Erie PA Hell's Angels, and a great guy - what a combination) did this in scratchbuilt 1/32, and the wings worked. But then, he always admitted he was crazy.

-I would have been happy to see this

That is a bit neat. That wing fold looks like it might be inspired by the Grumman system as used on Wildcats. Avengers etc. The scale is a bit big for me but I'd love to do one of these in 1/72, albeit without the details as in engine & folding wings. Is this a RLM 73/74 finish?.

Steve.

-As I had no evidence of the sea going machine camouflage on this machine and as it was a prototype, I paint it in the standard RLM 70/71/65 scheme, the colos on the photos are a bit changed by the exposure of the camera and the ambiant lighting. The RLM 72/73 are not very different to the land base colors except a blueish tint on both ,they are very difficult to appreciate on the pictures of the time

Edited by IPMS19

That's very nice, and I am with Martin on this, anything to do with the Graf Zeppelin works for me.

I have a rather nice picture of the original.........

scan0001-1.jpg

The wing locking mechanism was very similar to the fixing on a camera for interchangeable lenses..........Smudge

Edited by swordfish fairey

That's very nice, and I am with Martin on this, anything to do with the Graf Zeppelin works for me.

I have a rather nice picture of the original.........

scan0001-1.jpg

The wing locking mechanism was very similar to the fixing on a camera for interchangeable lenses..........Smudge

-Wonderful picture, I would have been happy to find it in the time I built my model. I have nothing better in my doc. Another bonus it is clear that the C model was based on the B 1 as shown by the short exhaust stubs and the narrow propeller blades, many thanks for sharing.

-Your picture could represent the C 0 model as the pre series version, the C 1 intended as the first production version if ,the programm had continued had electrical folding devices instead of manual of the earlier mark, a few models were buit, all as prototypes, before every things were stopped. Once the programm was cancelled the machines built were converted into a standard B model.and dispatched into the oprationnal Stuka Geschwadern

The picture is marked as JU-87C-1, but I have no idea who did so. I also have a picture of a D model carrying a torpedo.......If you ever need anything on the GZ air group, let me know, I have one or two references on her. :pipe: .....Smudge

-Many thanks, my next project on the GZ is a Bf 109 T on its launching platform