95th Rifleman - 120mm Resin

pte1643

Guys.

I've always been in awe of you guys that have figure painting skills :worthy: , it's an area I've wanted to get into, but shyed away from mostly.

I decided to take the plunge and decided on something from the Napoleonic era... But not too technical for a first go eh?

I purchased this little beauty from the collection at Imperial Gallery.

Finished, mostly, in Vallejo, but also in oils (first time with them too), Mig pigments and a few various scratch items here and there (Shako Braid and Rifle Sling).

On the whole, I'm quite pleased with my result.

I Hope you like... Be gentle as this is my first go at a "Proper" figure. :pray:

He started off as a collection of cast resin, and white metal, bits that needed freeing from the casting blocks and washing.

DSCF1847-1.jpg

DSCF1852.jpg

Then ended up like this...

DSCF1907.jpg

DSCF1908.jpg

DSCF1909.jpg

DSCF1910.jpg

I think I've caught the bug now... On to the next. :)

Looks great. :goodjob: I have this figure on my list of wants. Imperial Gallery were at Telford this year and I bought their 71st Highland Light Infantryman from them, next year I shall look out for the Rifleman. There are some really nice Napoleonic/Crimean war figures about in this scale at the moment to choose from.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice piece my friend. I like the mud/dusty look as well

I also have this on my wish list.

I look forward to seeing the next figure to grace your workbench.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks guys.

Appreciate the comments.

The weathering was inspired by the box art, numerous Osprey books and, naturally, the Sharpe series box set of dvds.

The skirmishing units could mostly be found crawling about in the muck.

• 2 weeks later...

How can you not love a Rifleman (ask the missus for a definite answer I believe!)!!!!

Superb work, it captures the era and most importantly the personality of the chosen man perfectly!

Chris

The only issue with doing figures are eyes! Get them wrong & the lot looks wrong as you go over it all in fine detail

I submitted one of my 120mm figures from Imperial Gallery in Euro Militaire & thought the eyes looked ok, but not to the judges!

Keep it up though mate as ya weathering is really good!

ATB........

2012-09-22-224_zpsc450ef52.jpg

Edited by Riggers

Eyes can be quite tricky to get right and can make or break a figure. Transfers are an option but you still have the same problem as painting them; getting them both to look in the same direction. Also it is quite rare to see the whole of the iris as it is usually obscured by the lids unless someone is staring or scared!

I find the best way to paint the eyes is to start by painting the eyeball an off white. Then when it is dry with a very fine brush and some black paint and put a very small dot on each eye where you want the iris  to be. Once you are happy that the eyes will be pointing in the right direction build up a larger circle that is partly obscured by the top eyelid. When the black has dried paint in the iris in the colour of choice, leaving a thin black line around the edge. Once the iris has dried add the pupil with black paint and then add a small white dot, at 2 or 10 o'clock , to each iris as a catch light. Finally run a thin dark brown line along the bottom of the top eyelid to represent the eyelashes and a line of your lightest flesh highlight along the top edge of the bottom lid.

As with all figure painting the more you paint the better you will get; that's why my figures are pretty average :)

Eyes can be quite tricky to get right and can make or break a figure. Transfers are an option but you still have the same problem as painting them; getting them both to look in the same direction. Also it is quite rare to see the whole of the iris as it is usually obscured by the lids unless someone is staring or scared!

I find the best way to paint the eyes is to start by painting the eyeball an off white. Then when it is dry with a very fine brush and some black paint and put a very small dot on each eye where you want the iris  to be. Once you are happy that the eyes will be pointing in the right direction build up a larger circle that is partly obscured by the top eyelid. When the black has dried paint in the iris in the colour of choice, leaving a thin black line around the edge. Once the iris has dried add the pupil with black paint and then add a small white dot, at 2 or 10 o'clock , to each iris as a catch light. Finally run a thin dark brown line along the bottom of the top eyelid to represent the eyelashes and a line of your lightest flesh highlight along the top edge of the bottom lid.

As with all figure painting the more you paint the better you will get; that's why my figures are pretty average :)

Nuff said Sir.......