Harriers - RIP

Hi, I thought I had better make the effort to show off some of my recently completed models,

both have been brush painted, I'm not allowed an airbrush in my Service accomodation, I

managed to transport them 180 miles home in an old shoe box only for them to be destroyed

in the Great Clumsy Teenager Catastrophe of 2012 so they have now been consigned to the

great model display in the sky. I am now trying to work up the enthusiasm to build something else.

Airfix Harrier GR9 1/72

012.jpg

011.jpg

Airfix FA2 with Pavla seat and rear control surfaces

IMGP0733.jpg

IMGP0732.jpg

they were beautiful harriers. and this is why i now have a tendency to put wheels up on everything leave off all small easily broken details and usualy probes if i can get away with it. if not i replace them with steel wire.

this is because there are not many other people who give a toss or care for your items even family are ham fisted.

its annoying ive had so many models destroyed by people in different ways and rather than saying sorry about that. the response is either "oh well its only a piece of plastic" or "oh well its only a toy you shouldnt be playing with toys at your age" no appology but self righteous confirmation that you are wrong and they are right.

fitting models with steel wire for probes as i have done on my vulcans has the added advantage of people who are clumsy impaling themselves on it and being warned from touching these mini models of war.

i also had an ex who seeked to destroy and did destroy all my models i had made since my childhood ..

the result of that is a new girlfriend who likes me being me and making more models than ever.

so i suggest you go out right now and buy yourself a nice big harrier kit make it s 1/48th or 1/24th fitted with a motion sensor that activates an alarm withing a 1 ft area of interference (cats are also a problem)

• Like 1

Second that...a beatiful pair & a real shame. I've been known to fit sewing needles as pitot probes...keeps the moggies from getting to cuddly--another hazard of the hobby!

If you're looking for a jet to survive the next move--maybe a SAAB Tunnan for your next build? Just a thought...

All the best with the next project...

A. C.

• Like 1

Two good Harriers there mate. You're not alone in "losing" models, it's always a 'mare trying to move them or leave them unattended for pets or people cleaning. Just remember how good they were and rebuild! The next ones might be even better!

They are really nice models beautifully made and painted. I can understand how it would make you feel having such a lovely piece of work destroyed but for me the real joy of modelling is in the making. I have some big models in my stash and once I manage to complete my pending move across the country I am looking forward to building them. As we're down-sizing I have no idea where they will go when made; they will probably end up in the loft! But to me that is secondary as the fun is in the build! I will photograph them and that will be my memory bank. So pick yourself up and put that talent back to work! :):)

Hi, I thought I had better make the effort to show off some of my recently completed models,

both have been brush painted, I'm not allowed an airbrush in my Service accomodation, I

managed to transport them 180 miles home in an old shoe box only for them to be destroyed

in the Great Clumsy Teenager Catastrophe of 2012 so they have now been consigned to the

great model display in the sky. I am now trying to work up the enthusiasm to build something else.

Don't make an effort to build anything else. Your Harriers are great. Build more Harriers! :D

(And welcome, by the way)

Kirk

I made a lot of models while I was in the RAF and they moved with my wife and I into civvy street. They were packed away in cardboard boxes and had been that way for a few years, I guess that was saying to my wife that they were surplus to requirements! I came back from work one day to find that they had all been thrown out. I wasnt best pleased to say the least and I never made another model for many years after that. Happily my love for both returned but Mrs B knows not to go near the little aeroplanes anymore. The temptation to throw her sewing machine into the local skip has also abated!

Lovely Harriers you had there, hopefully you'll go on to make many more.

Duncan B

• 4 weeks later...