NOVO 1-72 SCALE JAVELIN XA778

Hi all,

As promised some picture updates. I have got the paint fiasco under control and I have to warn you the Javelin is BRIGHT! I hope to change this with washes etc. It is FAR from finished and I suspect will take a lot longer than I had planned to get this one into a state I consider finished!

Thanks again Steve for the drawings, I fear it may be too late to change the rear of the engines on this, there is quite a difference on the FAW7, I shall look into it more as I would like it to be correct. Any ideas of how I could achieve that?

Sernak I had a look through the book, no Vampires, sorry.

Anyway here are the pictures.....

IMG_6450.jpg

IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

I did warn you !

Thanks for reading, comments welcome.

Tommy

Tommy - It's looking veeeeerrrrry orange! You certainly won't lose that in a hurry, does it need many batteries to make it glow? Whirlybird do a resin Mk7 jetpipe conversion ref WBA72063 for £6 which takes the hard work out of the alterations as the rear fuselage shape is quite different from the Mk9. You should be able to graft the new jetpipes on without too much damage and then a quick partial respray. At least with XA778 you can get away with a patchy paint job!

Sernak - There were some Vampires operated by ETPS but they were in basically the standard training scheme of silver with yellow bands. Certainly nothing as spectacular as this Javelin! Nothing to stop you doing it anyway, it's your model....

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for that info, I haven't heard of them before but that certainly sounds a good solution and at a good price. This is the great thing about britmodeller you always find new things, ideas, websites and inspiration.

May be ordering some later.

Have to go, need to change the batteries powering the Gloster Glo bird.

Tommy

I hated taht colour on first looksee

But bearing in mind you plan a weathering campaign I've changed me mind

It is looking well on the road to being a classy model when you've done

I'll be hanging on for the finish, well done

b

Lookin' good there Tommy, a brave effort to tackle an old Frog/Novo kit but your efforts will be worth it, the shape of them was always good. Looking forward to the rest of your build pics.

Colin

Tommy and Steve, thanks chaps for your info and suggestion.

Tommy, nice paint job mate. Very GLOWING!! Did you get any 'orange peel' effect from this paint spray?

Looking forward to see that awesome weathering!!

Cheers

Sernak

Sernak,

I did get some orange peeling but I am not sure why? I did a sand down and a recoat in the Revell acrylic aqua colour luminous orange and that's what you see now.

I have used the spray orange before, see my Hull UAS chipmunk on the RFI forum. That had no issues so I am unsure why this did, bigger coverage?

Tommy

Sernak,

I did get some orange peeling but I am not sure why? I did a sand down and a recoat in the Revell acrylic aqua colour luminous orange and that's what you see now.

I have used the spray orange before, see my Hull UAS chipmunk on the RFI forum. That had no issues so I am unsure why this did, bigger coverage?

Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Perhaps you had the spray paint too close to the model. On the other hand, don't forget that you can't adjust the bottle's pressure in order to see what is causing the orange peeling. BTW, I have only used Revell's acrylic white - thinned with water. To be honest I have never seen before such a 'smooth' paint result!!

Have you ever use Revell's acrylic varnishes? I'm asking this because I have the Flat varnish but unfortunately when I try to thin it with water I don't get the result I'm hoping for. Have you ever use them and with what have you thinned them?

Cheers

Sernak

My usual wheeze with a rattle can is to spray the paint into

an airbrush jar(squirt it thru a drinking straw)and then decant it into

the airbrush cup.

Blow it on with the airbrush,you can control the pressure and paint as you

would using "normal"paint in th'airbrush.

Of course,if you don't posess an airbrush then that pretty much shoots

that idea down in flames...........

• Like 1

Hi all,

Firstly to answer some questions:

Sernak, I have not used the Revell Varnish, to be honest I only tend to use a White Spray can as it gives a better finish than brush painting, and I use the Citadel range of Acrylic spray paints, available from Hobbycraft or Warhammer shops. I also use their range of Acrylic Varnishes as I believe these give a fantastic finish to a model. I usually use Humbrol Gloss varnish brush painted over the paint before applying decals, another coat to seal the decals then my spray coat of Satin Citadel spray.

Miggers: Why do I do so much brush painting, because I don't have an airbrush, so sorry you have been shot down in flames!

I have always wanted to get an airbrush, but have no idea about them at all, price, how to use them, how messy they are.........?

So the build continues, I have been applying some yellow dulling down some of the dayglo, with the results below. I think some more yellow is required and then it is decals and weathering. I looked into the Whirlybird engines and may be making some last minute corrections!!

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

Thanks for reading

Tommy

• Like 1

Good evening Tommy,

If you're interested in buying an airbrush, I can tell you my experience from a couple of Bagder, that I have been using for the past 20 years. I have the Badger 200 and 150. Different action airbrushes, with different capabilities, and ofcourse different prices. The only thing that I have change in these two decades are a couple of needles and this due to some bending I have accidentally cause.

Cheers

Sernak

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tommy,

Where have you been mate? Merry Christmas.

The Yellow looks a little bit 'pale'. Is this correct? Have you checked your references?

Now, how can you weather the dayglo...hmmmmmm.... Perhaps you should try spraying a lighter coat of dayglo on the top of some panels or, use Humbrol's dayglo to apply it with the "dry-brush" technique.

You can still do some weathering (dark brown-black) though to the panels which are close to the engines.

Hope I was helpful.

Cheers

Sernak

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AMB Thanks for your message and thanks for an amazing book! As for the kit 4 years later it's still in the to complete pile...... not sure why it fell out of favour and there are not many kits in the pile as I'm very disiplined and tend to complete before starting more. HoWe've in this case for some reason..... Maybe as Airfix released their 1:48 Javelin?

It may still be resurrected. ..

Tommy

• Like 1