36 Burma Spifires found

chrisrope

We shall see, James. I do hope that the more optimistic amongst us are correct; that there are Spitfires down there, and if they're not in great shape, at least they're in decent shape. I've seen cobbled-together Shturmoviks that look pretty convincing. Even the flyable Il-2 includes more than the parts of just one Shturmovik. If they can cobble together even a handful of well-restored Mk.XIV's, that would be great, even if they aren't flyable, and these would be a true gift to the aeronautical community. I suppose this truly is a wait-and-see situation.

Regards,

Jason

Lets face it, what ever type of Spitfire it is that results at the end, it will be at least 2mm too short and too fat behind the canopy..............

Seriously, just hope that it will confirm some of the colour questions as all that time in a crate will be more accurate than a sun bleached aeroplane in a faded photograph.

I say good luck to them, and good luck to us too!!!

Ah, the true Holy Grail of aviation archaeology; to find an aeroplane with intact paint! I keep hoping (dreaming) that someone in Siberia will find an Il-2 perfectly-preserved in ice, thereby answering some of the colour questions which have bedevilled VVS modellers for decades. But I'll still settle for some well-preserved Spitfire Mk.XIV's.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I'm sure the panel lines will be overdone.

How exciting it must be to go there and dig for the crates...I really hope they are there and contain Spitfires in a condition worthy for digging out.

But I remember what happened to this 1957 Plymouth Fury (I think it was) they buried in that very year to get it out again a few years ago. This was buried in a concrete 'bunker', sealed and everything....to no avail, as water got in and the car was a mere wreck when they opened this 'box'.

I would not expect disassembled Spitfires oder Spitfire parts to be in any condition near 'good'.

Just received this email , any thoughts ?

For those who had any doubt about the ‘buried Spitfires’ in Burma they may be interested that an ex-RAF pilot friend, who is involved in this project, has just returned from a visit to the site in Burma.

The cache of Spitfires does exist and consists of 14 Spitfire FR.14s. The difficulty in locating them was due to the fact that they are buried under an active runway meaning that once permission was granted, digging was sideways with strong underpinning of the runway. The Spitfires are there all right – all fresh still in their packing cases with guns fitted. The original crates were buried in a large excavated hole and covered over with a wooden ‘lid’ made of durable timber, teak perhaps? – the runway being added much later"!.

The first Spitfire has been removed successfully and a first inspection plus others looked at so far shows them to be all in excellent condition, fully equipped – only rubber items having perished.

The first one is to go to the USA to the financial backer, the second to the Burmese Air Force Museum – the rest - 12 Spitfire FR.14s belong to the guy who started it all.

The sweetener to ‘open the door’ so to speak was the visit of UK Prime Minister Cameron, soon to be followed by a visit by the American President. This was not a ruse to re-equip the RAF with Spitfire 14s - although they have sod all else! but an opener to revitalised trade with western powers.

Oh er! There appears to be another batch of Spitfires in Burma, 30 in number, mark numbers not known at this stage. Who knows what else they will find.

Hmm, an e-mail from unnamed source, quoting unnamed pilot involved in the project: hardly horse's mouth. And I would have thought that, if the story had firmed up to that extent, there would have been press releases galore.

Still hoping it's true, though.

Hmm, an e-mail from unnamed source, quoting unnamed pilot involved in the project: hardly horse's mouth. And I would have thought that, if the story had firmed up to that extent, there would have been press releases galore.

Still hoping it's true, though.

I agree you with you and Jenko; where are the photographs? Even blurry Bigfoot-type footage would be welcome at this point. As anyone who's ever been involved in either science or the law will tell you (and I've been involved with both), eyewitness accounts without hard evidence to back them up cannot be relied upon.

Regards,

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

According to this blog post by the scientist who found the geophys signal, the dig starts today; so reports that one was already recovered in early December highly suspicious.

I am very sceptical still, until we see more evidence.

I liked the thorough journalism that led the Telegraph to publish this story of more buried Spitfires....

I think it might be a bit before we see anything come up out of the ground. According to this BBC article, the excavation team has only just departed for Burma. They'll barely have had time to check into their hotel let alone get out to the site and start setting up to dig:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-20910980

And it goes on..."They'll be in a very good condition. If they haven't been damaged they should be easily restorable to flying condition." says the guy leading the trip:http://www.bbc.co.uk...humber-20910980

they'll probably be more like the Plymouth that was exhumed in Tulsa: plymouth-belvedere-04.jpg

Oh, don't be such a pessimist! A new battery and a bit of T-cut and that Plymouth will be as good as new.

:crap:

Hopefully the BBC or someone are filming the excavation for a future programme, sounds like a job for Dan Snow.

Surely one for Tony "Baldrick" Robinson and Time Team?

The New Zealand Herald's website had a small article about this, illustrated with... a picture of a Hawker Typhoon :doh:

I posted feedback on the story & 3 hours later they have changed the picture to one a bit more relevant - makes a nice change for the press to listen to feedback!

Chris

This better be true, I've got 2 on back order from Hannants.

Rick.

They've got them down for delivery just before the 1/72 Javelin and 1/24 Vulcan/Victor combo from Airfix! Trouble is I suspect the price will be right up there alongside Hasegawa's 1/72 Fw190 and 1/72 Lightning Combo kits, ouch!

Duncan B

And it goes on..."They'll be in a very good condition. If they haven't been damaged they should be easily restorable to flying condition." says the guy leading the trip:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-20910980

they'll probably be more like the Plymouth that was exhumed in Tulsa: http://gomotors.net/pics/Plymouth/plymouth-belvedere-04.jp

christine by any chance????