Planes of Fame Museum, Arizona

F-32

Here is the next batch of my Arizona road trip photo's, the cracking Planes of Fame museum. I left Tucson at 4.00am and drove 375 miles to the Grand Canyon before driving another 150 miles to the Museum and then another 100 miles or so Winslow (so I could be standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona - Eagles fans will understand) and then another few hundred miles back to Tucson to shower, change and drive straight to the airport for a 20 hour flight back to the UK with two stops on the way.

Was it worth it?

Hell yes!

There are more shots here: http://www.hanger51....f-fame-arizona/

8220170971_a3b55f0491_b.jpg

IMG_1851 copy by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8220176427_b8e2ab6528_b.jpg

IMG_1841 copy by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8221269208_52faaba598_b.jpg

IMG_1836 copy by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8221290694_e51b6abb6a_b.jpg

IMG_1826 copy by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8220232303_a1f1965413_b.jpg

IMG_1801 copy by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8221326442_bf920fae95_b.jpg

IMG_1793 copy by tony_inkster, on Flickr

8220265061_ec5be9aa16_b.jpg

IMG_1780 copy by tony_inkster, on Flickr

Yes, actually it's a B-50 with the wing centre section from a KC-97 I believe, which is just dumped behind the outside static aircraft awaiting restoration complete with engines.

Will be nice when it's finished, it might even tempt me back for another visit!

That's great to find Paul, the '109 does look spectacular! Do you have any shots taken inside the storage area? I did sweet talk the lady at the museum but she still wouldn't let me in there!

Hmmmm. Edwards Air Force Base may have a say about best places for military aviation. As for museums, I live next to the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB, Georgia. I really should get some photos posted from there. Lots of really interesting stuff (though mainly U.S. aircraft).

RacerX, if you could post some photos from Robins AFB I'd be interested to see them.

Mark, you are indeed correct, every municipal airport in AZ seems to have a little gem, not to mention AMARG, PIMA and all the other museums!

F-32,

We have a C-130 here undergoing maintenance that has some very interesting nose art. I'll grab a picture of that this morning and then take my two boys out to the museum this afternoon for some shots from there.

Derek

Here's a few shots of the boneyard:

A pair of F-86s:

valle_boneyard_f86-01.jpg

valle_boneyard_f86-02.jpg

An F-105:

valle_boneyard_f105.jpg

F-84F:

valle_boneyard_f-84f.jpg

There are about half a dozen ex-Peruvian T-37s that are potentially restorable to airworthiness:

valle_boneyard_t-37.jpg

BT-13:

valle_boneyard_bt13.jpg

C-97, with engines:

valle_boneyard_c97-01.jpg

valle_boneyard_c97-02.jpg

And finally a couple of very unusual aircraft. Firstly, an AerMacchi 416, which I think is a license-built Fokker S-11:

valle_boneyard_aermacchi416.jpg

And a Le Bel ducted fan experimental aircraft:

valle_boneyard_lebel.jpg

valle_boneyard_lebel02.jpg

Enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif

Silver Fox, the flat bed Ford was there, but the girl must have had a better offer!

Great picks Paul, thanks for posting those.

Nice Hog RacerX, I certainly didn't get bored of seeing them flying out of DM during my trip, the dry spell of Hog activity in the UK made sure of that.

As promised, here's a photo of a C-130 here at Robins for maintenance with some very cool nose art:

IMG_6064.jpg

A C-130 Talon stripped down:

IMG_6065.jpg

Our C-17 prepped for depot maintenance:

IMG_6066.jpg

And finally, a pair of Raptors that stopped by earlier in year:

F22003.jpg

Very impressive piece of nose art, and really good to see a stripped down C-17, certainly different to the normal grey scheme!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, the boneyard stuff is really sad to see, hope they can get some of their projects up and running soon. The stripped C-17 is surely worthy of a build, really interesting to see her stripped down like that.

• 3 months later...

For those who don't know, the Constellation is "Bataan," the personal aircraft of General Douglas MacArthur. And it flies.

The Bf-109G-10 "yellow-13" for a long time was the only one in existence, and back in the 1970s, it was the airplane the guys from Revell went out to Chino (where it was at the time) and measured to do the still-nice 1/48 Bf-109G-10 kit they released back in around 1977.

The rear section of the B-50 is from the B-50 "Lucky Lady II," the first airplane to fly around the world non-stop in 1947 using aerial refueling - the forward fuselage is on display at Chino..