1:76th Matilda "Hedgehog"

Deacon

Hi Deacon.

Whats that contraption on the rear of this tank, not seen that before, I know the Australians used mesh frames on the rear to stop magnetic mines being attached.

I beleave this is an Australian version,'right'. :winkgrin:

Edited by foxy

Hi Deacon.

Whats that contraption on the rear of this tank, not seen that before, I know the Australians used mesh frames on the rear to stop magnetic mines being attached.

I beleave this is an Australian version,'right'. :winkgrin:

Yes mate.

The hedgehog was mounted on Corvettes and Destroyers. It fired projectiles like the German Nebelwefer (note I said 'like'). The Aussies decide that such a weapon would be a great 'bunker buster' when fighting the Japanese so developed this design.

There is an actual tank of this design in the RAAC museum, Puckapunyal (which is where Airfix got their design from , I think).

I hope this helps

Deacon

In response to Foxy's comment made about Deacon's Matilda Hedgehog here is my photo of a

1:100 scale model of a Matilda with add-on protection in the form of idler guards and

steel mesh engine deck.

8250780280_b356657afc.jpg

The best reference I am aware of is a book: Paul Handel, Dust Sand and Jungle, RAAC

Tank Museum 2003

Neither model is of great interest of itself.

For your information:

On the left of the photo is a quality castings metal kit of the 3" howitzer armed

tank, unmodified.

On the right is a battlefront resin and metal kit of the 2pdr armed tank with my add

-ons.