Meteor F8 target tug

keefr22

Hello,

I'm 3/4 of the way through an Xtrakit F8 that I was intending to build as a Danish jet for our next club comp.. But the markings on the xtradecal sheet are so uninspiring that I've now decided instead to do the pretty Belgian target tug on there with all its nice dayglo!

Anyways, I thought that as it was a TT that it would have some kind of towing equipment fitted. After much research (ie googling!) all I've found is a statement that they were fitted with a 'lug' on the ventral tank. Would anyone by any chance know of a piccie or drawing that shows said lug??

MTIA

Keef

Do you mean something like a U bolt then Dave? I don't think I'll worry too much about it seeing as the back of the tank is under the wing & the model will be stuck to a base, but it would be nice to have something there!

Thanks for the reply

Keef

Keefr22 - the lug referred to is the small fairing immediately under the fuselage roundel in the photo indicated by Dave. It was a simple "snap fit" into spring loaded jaws, the jaws from a Hunter brake chute fitting I believe. On completion of the sortie, the jaws could be electrically opened from the cockpit and the cable and banner released over the airfield.

The title "F(TT).Mk.8" was an unofficial one as the fittings were designed into the Meteor F.Mk.8 and it was up to the customer as to whether or not it was installed on build. RAF aircraft were retrospectively modified as required. Not all aircraft so equipped had the yellow/black "TT" stripes under wing so I suggest that you double check the subject of your model.

Oddly enough, all of the Meteor F.Mk.8's delivered to the Israeli Air Force as front line equipment in 1953 were so equipped.

HTH

Dennis

I seem to recall that the RAF operated one into the 80's flying from Brawdy in support of the Hawks at Chivenor and Brawdy, painted in a grey scheme? But can't find the reference I thought I had!

That was the one in my link - it was earlier painted overall grey, but adopted the fighter colours in the mid 70s

Keefr22 - the lug referred to is the small fairing immediately under the fuselage roundel in the photo indicated by Dave. It was a simple "snap fit" into spring loaded jaws, the jaws from a Hunter brake chute fitting I believe. On completion of the sortie, the jaws could be electrically opened from the cockpit and the cable and banner released over the airfield.

The title "F(TT).Mk.8" was an unofficial one as the fittings were designed into the Meteor F.Mk.8 and it was up to the customer as to whether or not it was installed on build. RAF aircraft were retrospectively modified as required. Not all aircraft so equipped had the yellow/black "TT" stripes under wing so I suggest that you double check the subject of your model.

Oddly enough, all of the Meteor F.Mk.8's delivered to the Israeli Air Force as front line equipment in 1953 were so equipped.

That explains why the fairing is visible on most F8s (and FR9s!) however, Damien reported in this thread that the actual attachment point was in the rear of the belly tank:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19458&hl=+meteor%20+fairing#entry215414

I have definitely seen a photo of such a hook once!

Brilliant, thanks guys! I think I can manage that even with my scratchbuilding 'skills'!!

And what a photo that is - fantastic! Keef

Edit:

John, Danni - apologies, I posted my reply without refreshing my page so missed your replies. That bit in your photo John does look like what's at the end of the Meatboxes tank in the Dave's linked pic.. Anything you could find in the manual would be a great help too Danni!Thanks again everyone!

Edited by keefr22

This is what Steve Bond says in his book on the Meteor which is in agreement with everything everyone else has said so far - except me !! :-

METEORTT.jpg

Shacklady states that the modification was "by the attachment of a standard electromagnetic bomb release to the rear end of the ventral fuel tank". Looks like what Canberra Kid put up on the thread referenced in Topic 7.

It appears that my usually impeccable source from Hucclecote (ex Glosters) is not so.

Once again - HTH

Dennis

Thanks again Dennis,

To my (now not so reliable) eyes, it looks like the jet in the picture Dave linked to has the rear of ventral tank modified with a hook similar to that in John's photo., with that extra small fairing you pointed out having the 'electrical connections' as stated in the earlier thread on here (that I was unaware of until today). I'm thinking that in 1/72 I may just get away with painting the rear end of the ventral tank black to just suggest the hook mechanism, & adding that small fairing...!!

ATB

keef

As promised

MeteorTT2.jpg

MeteorTT1.jpg

I wiil try to get some shots of the area in question on our bird soonish

Well Danni, this seems to be very incomplete. Could you not have supplied the busbar which it was connected to and also if the release switch was sprung loaded or not?

Only joking, superb stuff as always.

Nige

Well Danni, this seems to be very incomplete. Could you not have supplied the busbar which it was connected to and also if the release switch was sprung loaded or not?

Only joking, superb stuff as always.

Nige

As can be seen in my previous post, the target towing equipment is powered and controled by the alighting gear indicator circuit

MeteorTT3.jpg

And the gun firing circuit

MeteorTT4.jpg

The alighting gear indicator circuit is powered from Bus A2 and the gun firing circuit via Bus A3

Bus A2 & Bus A3 are energised via 60 amp fuses from T.B.14 and back to the generators.

MeteorTT6.jpg

The camera push switch on the control colum is spring loaded and is described below

MeteorTT5.jpg

I hope this has adequatley explained the operation of the target towing release and the associated electrics.

:evil_laugh:

:clap2:

“…the shackle of the target cable being liberated through the medium of an electro-magnetic release unit.”

Clearly the person who wrote this manual was brought up on Thomas Hardy. Surely "...being electro-magnetically released." would have sufficed!

bob

• Like 2

I hope this has adequatley explained the operation of the target towing release and the associated electrics.

That'll teach Nige to mess with the cyberwarrior!

:clap2:

“…the shackle of the target cable being liberated through the medium of an electro-magnetic release unit.”

Clearly the person who wrote this manual was brought up on Thomas Hardy. Surely "...being electro-magnetically released." would have sufficed!

Not to mention "alighting gear".

• Like 1

As can be seen in my previous post, the target towing equipment is powered and controled by the alighting gear indicator circuit

MeteorTT3.jpg

And the gun firing circuit

MeteorTT4.jpg

The alighting gear indicator circuit is powered from Bus A2 and the gun firing circuit via Bus A3

Bus A2 & Bus A3 are energised via 60 amp fuses from T.B.14 and back to the generators.

MeteorTT6.jpg

The camera push switch on the control colum is spring loaded and is described below

MeteorTT5.jpg

:evil_laugh:

Er...Yes thanks very much, cleared that up beautifully.....

Could you possibly tell me what s.g. the acid in the battery is supposed to be when fully charged?

Nige

I made the mistake of checking my references before reading to the end of this thread,but can add that I saved a photo reference from an old "Air Pictorial"which shows the hook as shown in the excellent drawings provided by Danni.The supplier of the photo describes it as being a standard Electro Magnetic bomb release unit fitted to the ventral tank,replacing the pointed rear section.I have copied the photograph,but my experience of attaching to text on this site is limited,to say the least.I also have ,from the same source,a photograph of ex-Sylt and 245 Squadron TT8s awaiting scrapping,including VZ465 "G2 and WA834"V2.When I was on Sylt,several of the TTS Meteors sporting these probes.from their 245 trial days. The towing shackle is as I remember it,basic but effective.

Bill.