Hasegawa F-104S 51 Stormo 1/48

Spad

Hi all

I started this one as an attempt for the F104 STGB but I completely underestimated the amount of work/time needed for the paint scheme - mainly down to the number of colours and amount of masking needed so I missed the deadline! (sorry GiorgioN!)

It's the 51 Stormo 50th anniversary scheme - Hasegawa did this scheme some years ago on their superb 1/72 edition and I fell in love with it then so I was well chuffed when I saw they had a 1/48 version.

The kit, as I'm sure you know, is fabulous and is one of the first kits I have felt like building another of just for the pleasure of putting it together. Mind you, as an Italian 'S' variant it's not entirely accurate. The most obvious is the ventral sub-fin which is moulded with a vertical (ish) leading edge whereas it should be raked back at some 45 degrees or so. There are no Sparrow antennae on the rear fuselage so I made some up using a rounded-off section of strut material and a teardrop shaped piece of 5 thou card. The intake auxiliary doors are incorrect and Hase make an attempt at this by telling you to fill the panel lines and apply a decal to represent the much larger and rectangular doors that are unique (I think) to the 'S'. I chose to fill and re-scribe some doors and add a small section of stretched sprue to represent the prominent piano hinge along the lower edge. The only other changes I made were to use an Eduard pre-coloured set for the cockpit. First time I used one and it's very effective but in retrospect I'm not convinced by the benefit on such a tiny cockpit. The seat, however, is another story. The seat is OK but the additional detail and impact added by the straps etc is well worth the effort.

Paints are almost entirely Xtracolour except the white which was Tamiya rattle can. Decalling went fine and Testors Dullcote is used for the camo matt finish.

Enough waffle - here she is - hope you like her.

As ever, all comments and critique is welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_0010-2.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

90shopped.jpg

I thought about trying to add air-conditioning pipes but it beat me in the mental battle - maybe next time!

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

The Sparrow data-link antenna - that little white dot down there!

IMG_0021.jpg

And finally, here she is with baby sister - seat and pitot have gone missing somewhere along the line - they're round here somwhere!

IMG_0036.jpg

Thanks for looking.

cheers

Rick

Edited by Spad
  • Like 3

'nummy, a very challenging scheme that you have successfully accomplished......

-I have taken notes on your 's' mods.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the kind comments

@sean - yes maybe a bit mad but you'll notice I started with the smaller, fiddlier one first! :thumbsup:

@IXGR1 - take a look at the 2 104S threads in the Group Build forum (in "Completed" section now) - you'll find a few useful pics and 2 or 3 really useful weblinks to sites with great pics.

cheers

Rick

• Like 1

Hello,

I like this one, I saw the real one in the 80s whan I was at 51st wing. I know the pilot and the artist who made that cat, he made a lot of drawings and caricatures for the Wing and the Air Force too. His nick name was Brugar, he sadly left us few years ago.

I'm proud to have a funny portrait he made to me.

I built the same plane too, take a look at my collection here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelomoneta/collections/72157601963027397/

8227011028_8b469e6bd9_o.jpg

8227011088_ab9a021e17_o.jpg

• Like 2