Early Spitfire PR camouflage schemes

airjiml2

What possible camouflage options were available for PR Spitfires (say a PR.1G) outside of PRU Blue and PRU Pink in 1942/1943? I have a photos of X4555 upon arrival in Canada before it was repainted, and it is in three tone scheme with B type roundels, a small fin flash, and no fuselage band. (It actually seems to be very close to that of the common photos of a prototype PR. XIII) Tonality seems way too high for oft discussed "low level recce scheme."

Thanks,

Jim

The PRU were free to paint their aircraft however they liked. Aside from the specific low-level PR scheme to which you refer, I would however think it reasonable that any camouflaged aircraft would be in the standard Day Fighter colours, like any other RAF Spitfire of the period. It is not too surprising that it lacks the Sky band and Yellow leading edges specific to fighter operations.

A fairly recent publication stated that X4555 was in the low-level PR scheme, but the artist did not answer a query as to his sources for this.

A fairly recent publication stated that X4555 was in the low-level PR scheme, but the artist did not answer a query as to his sources for this.

If you are speaking of the source I think you are speaking of, it is totally bogus. The airplane was repainted in Canada in Titanine versions of the Temperate Land Scheme in a really odd pattern (as was X4492 and a Hurricane.)

Jim

For a PR.IG you can use the standard camouflage schemes, first the temperate land with dark green/dark earth over sky, and then the day fighter scheme of dark green/ocean grey over medium sea grey. Some publications have stated that at least some of the latter carried PRU Mauve undersufaces, but this is hard to tell from pictures.

Regarding the presence of aircrafts with quite high contrast on the upper surfaces (like the XIII prototype), this thread has some information found by Edgar on a drawing stating a scheme with dark green and sea grey medium on the upper surfaces, that in my opinion fits well with the kind of contrast seen in several pictures.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76346&hl=mauve#entry839422

Now if for early PR Spitfires you mean also other early versions, there are some more schemes possible, for example the overall camotint. If you include the PR.ID then the number of schemes increases

1942/43 is not really the early days of PR Spitfire camouflage when things were very experimental.

Here are four photos of camouflaged PR Type G/PR Mk. VII in 1942:

From 140 Sqn at Mount Farm or Benson:

C-ZW.jpg

Low contrast, possibly the infamous scheme with mauve undersurfaces. Sky spinner and band a bit confusing.

Another 140 Sqn at Mount farm in August 1942- this looks to be in Day Fighter Scheme.

St Eval - September 1942 according to Hugh Rigby Collection, but DP codes are from 1416 Army Co-Operation Flight (formed July 1941), which was reformed as 140 Sqn in Sept 1941.

However, this photo suggests the codes were still on in winter, as trees have lost their leaves, and there appears to be snow on the ground:

DP.jpg

Both having low-contrast camouflage colours.

In my opinion PR Mk.I Type D/PR Mk.IV and any PR Mk. I Type F/PR. Mk.VI still in service would be in PRU Blue by 1942/43.