Scale Rolls Royce engine models

j_jza80

Hey, I'm looking for a large-ish scale model of either a Merlin or a Griffon engine, preferably between approximately 1/10 scale and 1/20 scale. Basically, something large enough to get some detail on and display on its own, but small enough to actually display in the house. :)

I've found some details on a paper 1/33 scale Merlin on the 'net, but would prefer something plastic or metal.

Cheers.

A somewhat :coolio: cheaper – though perhaps too small for your purpose – alternative would be the 1:24th scale engines in either the Airfix Hurricane (much better detailed than the one in the Spitfire kit) or the two stage Packard Merlin in the Mustang kit.

Kind regards,

Joachim

A somewhat :coolio: cheaper – though perhaps too small for your purpose – alternative would be the 1:24th scale engines in either the Airfix Hurricane (much better detailed than the one in the Spitfire kit) or the two stage Packard Merlin in the Mustang kit.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, I'd already decided against this option as they are too small, but thanks. :)

Try HERE They do a 1:12 scale Merlin

Thanks for that Dave, I've been on the look out for awhile now for a Merlin.

Does anyone know of a prop and spinner (+a few other bits..) to make it look like a MKXVI Spit Merlin?

Rick.

Sorry, can't help you there. I saw the built up engines on the HpH stand at Telford and they looked superb. Perhaps a polite PM to the company may get them to do a Spit version.

• Like 1

Sorry, can't help you there. I saw the built up engines on the HpH stand at Telford and they looked superb. Perhaps a polite PM to the company may get them to do a Spit version.

Good idea Dave, I'll get onto it later.

Rick.

And if I tried to build that, my Tab C would slip out of Slot A, there'd be a mess of paper glue all over the place, the round bits would have tons of folds in them where I failed to make the card go circly-er...and it would look NOTHING like a Merlin. Just sayin'.... :banghead:

Hey Rick,that HPH 1/18th Merlin is a Packard,so what does that tell you mate?

That'd be a MKXVI then.

The engine looks good but the bits and bobs around it would need scratch building etc. Do'able. Be nice if they did a dedicated Merlin for a spit with all the bits. I bet it's a matter of time, I hope!

Rick.

That'd be a MKXVI then.

The engine looks good but the bits and bobs around it would need scratch building etc. Do'able. Be nice if they did a dedicated Merlin for a spit with all the bits. I bet it's a matter of time, I hope!

Rick.

Perhaps also send a suggestion to Eduard? They make a Bf 110 dashboard in 1/4 scale (not "quarter scale"; one fourth scale).

Kind regards,

Joachim

Perhaps also send a suggestion to Eduard? They make a Bf 110 dashboard in 1/4 scale (not "quarter scale"; one fourth scale).

Kind regards,

Joachim

I'm going a little off topic but in R/C modelling there are models that are half scale and quarter scale, these and 1/2 scale and 1/4 scale are the terms used as they define the scale in that hobby. So the Quarter-Scale Merlin would fit nicely in a Mick Reeves quarter scale Spitfire with 110" wingspan.