Tamiya 1/48th Mosquito

I've just about given up with Aries stuff, fantastic detail on the parts it's just that nothing seems to fit where it's supposed to without a hell of a lot of work, and then I seem to have destroyed most of the kit it was meant to be fitted too

Back with another little update.

Colin - I find the Aires stuff requires a lot of patience to get it fitted and looking good but it's generally worth the effort. I do have to say that there are some bits that I'd never use again because the rewards aren't worth the effort, P-51 wheel bay for instance, but a few days of fettling usually sorts most of them out.

I decided that as I'd already got half the worlds resin production added or ready to add to this build then what harm would another piece do. I picked up the Ultracast rear wheel set because it makes painting a whole lot easier and I'm all for easy; -

030_zps5a4a7395.jpg

031_zps99d78271.jpg

I then set about adding the enlarged bomb bay and here's where I dropped a clanger. I spent so much time making sure that it was aligned central to the fuselage that I didn't notice that it had moved backward by a few mm. The problem is that 5 minute epoxy is pretty unforgiving and thus it's stuck where it is now. The worst thing is that once you know it's wrong it annoys you forevermore. Nothing I can do though and thankfully it's underneath and not massively obvious, except to me!!!

032_zps3feafa98.jpg

Next came the engine and wheel bay fitting followed by the slipper tanks. I then added the wing landing light using some clear sprue and finished with a little test fit of everything: -

033_zps27b74616.jpg

034_zps5349c5af.jpg

Last job for the night was to sand the light to shape and polish: -

036_zpsedf06e2e.jpg

Off to Planes of Fame Airshow in Chino USA on Thursday to see some real stuff so probably my last update for a week or so but progress is being made.

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a small update after having spent a few hours on this one. I got everything added that could be before the paint shop and then, after a few hours of masking, I finally managed to get some undercoat on and then fix the odd blemish with Mr Surfacer. Then came the first couple of coats of PRU Blue. I used the Xtracrylix version for this one and it came out looking good. Got to keep pushing on this one now as the end date is looming fast. Tonight should see some post shading and, hopefully, a gloss coat.

037_zps4f849aa0.jpg

039_zpsebd8459c.jpg

041_zps4d3d2f42.jpg

042_zpsa5171dd8.jpg

Back soon

Pete

• Like 1

Cheers Les / Mish.

Nearly there with this one now having had a few productive evenings. Gloss coat was applied and decals added, which went without too many hitches. I was nervous about the 'KEEP OFF' decal getting silvering, as it's quite a bumpy bit of plastic with all the rivets and things, but it pulled down nicely : -

043_zps08febcf5.jpg

044_zpsa1469578.jpg

045_zpsb17b3c04.jpg

I then gave it a sealing coat of gloss followed by a Florymodels Dark Dirt wash. A matt coat sealed it all in and set about adding the last few bits. All that's left to do is add the wing tip lights and put some Krystal Klear into the bomb bay camera windows. Should be done tonight all being well: -

046_zpsdaa256c4.jpg

047_zps5e4aaf5c.jpg

048_zps9d724126.jpg

049_zps71f6b8f1.jpg

Back soon

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...