Tamiya 1/48th Mosquito

I've really been looking forward to this group build and can't wait for it to start. I'm going to build a PR.34 based at RAF Benson and it all starts with the superb Tamiya kit and then lots of extras added. When I opened the box up to take these pictures, even I was shocked at how many bits I'd gathered together for this conversion. However, I can hopefully find room for them all somewhere.

The Kit: -

01.jpg

The Bits: -

02.jpg

All of those Extras: -

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The Markings: -

06.jpg

I did debate adding a resin cockpit as well but common sense should prevail.

Roll on starting date

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look forward to see how this pans out. I've got the Airfix PRXVI and was planning to do the same as you from the Freightdog decal set but not for this GB though. Glad to see that QB do the tailplanes. Was wondering how I was going to tackle that.

Arnold, there I was trying to remain, at the very least, a bit sensible and not add any more resin to this build. I guess that the vacform canopy will be a bit more see through than the plastic so, what the heck, Aires cockpit it is.

Les, you're probably right, even before I add the Aires cockpit into the mix.

Paul, it's weird that they advertise them as a Sea Mosquito conversion but they are, as far as I can tell, exactly the same for the late mark Mosquito.

Now is there anything that I've forgot?

Roll on build time, I'm looking forward to this one.

Pete

Edited by Peter W
  • Like 1

Racedees - I've been dabbling a little bit with this one but it's still third in the list of current builds, so progress will be slow for a while. However I did clean up the resin cockpit and got it in dry fitted in place. It's a stunning looking piece of resin but I'm not sure that it's going to be the best fit. When you blue tac the 3 pieces of the main tub together and set it in place there's something that doesn't line up properly. When the rear deck is fitted flush with the back of the opening for the glazing (does that make sense?) then the crew entry hatch framing doesn't line up with the cut out in the plastic. I've only looked at it briefly but it does look like there will be a bit of work required, nothing major though. Here's a picture of it in place: -

007.jpg

More soon

Pete

• Like 1

Racedees - I've been dabbling a little bit with this one but it's still third in the list of current builds, so progress will be slow for a while. However I did clean up the resin cockpit and got it in dry fitted in place. It's a stunning looking piece of resin but I'm not sure that it's going to be the best fit. When you blue tac the 3 pieces of the main tub together and set it in place there's something that doesn't line up properly. When the rear deck is fitted flush with the back of the opening for the glazing (does that make sense?) then the crew entry hatch framing doesn't line up with the cut out in the plastic. I've only looked at it briefly but it does look like there will be a bit of work required, nothing major though. Here's a picture of it in place: -

007.jpg

More soon

Pete

Typical Aries cockpit, do any of them fit well

Seems the problem is the typical Aires shrinkage. Stunning detail, but shrinkage of the silicone mould and subsequently the resin itself means that key alignment points do not line up. You will have to "wing it" or add plastic here and there - maybe a bit of cutting too - to make it all find it's proper place.

An alternative might be to remove details from the resin castings and transfer them to the kit pieces wherever that is practical.

Jens

• 3 months later...

I thought it about time that I got this build back underway and I'm quiet shocked to see that it was December when I last did anything on it. Where has 3 1/2 months gone? I was going to continue with the cockpit but decided to do something different and take care of the engine transplant first. All in all it didn't go as bad as I thought it would. The Paragon parts are a very good fit and just require some patient removal of resin and plastic to get them in place. So without further ado: -

008_zps5233308f.jpg

009_zps29d48dee.jpg

010_zps916d3eae.jpg

I'm back up and running and, hopefully, progress will be a bit more regular.

Pete

• Like 1

Coming on nicely Pete. I am building a PR34 in 1/72 scale so its interesting to see how you overcome the same conversion issues.

Good luck!

Mark

Cheers guys,

Les - It wasn't the resin that got the better of me, just been digging my way out of the pile of resin dust. I had an F-15 build to finish up but now I'm back on this one until the finishing line is reached.

Mark - Hopefully it will all be a breeze with nothing to overcome, or is that too much to ask. To be truthful, I'm more likely to be blissfully unaware of the finer points of the conversion but will, hopefully, end up with something passable.

I've been painting up the cockpit parts and will get some pictures up soon. I've also looked at the instructions and it's shocking how many parts will not be used for this build. Still, a good stock for the parts bin, so not all bad.

Pete

A bit more progress on this one and the cockpit is about done and ready to be hidden forever. The usual Aires headaches meant that I had to position the cockpit slightly forward so that the crew hatch lined up with the opening in the kit part. A pain but not going to be too noticeable once the glazing goes on. Onto some pictures: -

012_zps1a6f2bf2.jpg

014_zps134adfb7.jpg

015_zps2f30ced9.jpg

017_zps9d7333fb.jpg

019_zps30078c83.jpg

021_zps103aa350.jpg

022_zps667e639b.jpg

More soon

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more to show on this one, it's coming along slowly but getting there. I was looking at a few pictures and saw that the PR.34 had an oblique camera window on the fuselage which was a bit too obvious to ignore so found a bit of clear sprue about the right size and added that: -

023_zps9c383424.jpg

024_zps9076926b.jpg

Then came the adding of the wing spar and last internal bits before getting the 2 halves stuck together at last: -

025_zpse2ddd943.jpg

026_zps6c3b4b6c.jpg

Next up was the undercarriage legs. Tamiya mould the axle as part of the leg which makes it difficult to paint the wheel once assembled. I decided to cut them off and drill a 1.6mm hole through the one that had the axle moulded on it. I then used a piece of 1.6mm Stainless Steel welding wire to make a new axle and drilled the same size hole through the resin wheels. Nothing new or revolutionary but it will make the whole thing easier to paint: -

027_zpsf5e81e5d.jpg

028_zps2ebc731f.jpg

Last job for last night was to fit the mud guards on the undercarriage legs. I'm using the Quickboost set and, whilst finer moulded than plastic, they are a bit warped. A dip in some hot water and gentle reshaping gets them to fit though and on they went: -

029_zps9b60e62b.jpg

Next up is painting the undercarriage bay parts and pressing on with getting the wings fitted.

Back soon

Pete

• Like 1