Ford GT40 kit query.

foxfriend

I know roy, have seen some reviews online, and I have decided I need it in my life.

Luckily my local model shop is rather old fashioned ( it's been in the same place for 50 plus years ) and still runs a layaway scheme.

So looks like I will have to order one.

• 5 years later...

Morning chaps, resurrecting this old thread now that the Trumpeter kit is being re issued under the Magnifier label and the Big H is offering it at £89 as a pre order so it would seem rude not to backorder one.

But I have a couple of questions for the GT40 aficionados among you, like @roymattblack I've become a little obsessed with the JW Gulf Racing team through my Porsche 917 build and reading about Pedro Rodrigues driving in the wet at the 1970 BOAC 1000 race, I thought I must build one of his machines.

Pedro is a character I was aware of but being a bit before my "racing" time I never paid him much attention but he is obviously one of the greats who died before reaching their full potential, I don't want to do another 917 so a model GT40 of chassis 1075 would satisfy my want.

BUT as Roy clearly points out #9 chassis 1075 is not what's in the kit, I can see the rear bodywork is different and I think the oil cooler outlet in the "bonnet" area is changed but what are the other major visible differences?

Could the rear bodywork be modified to the later cars specification or are the changes too extreme?

Waiting for the announced Meng model won't help because again it's the earlier car and although I know that De Agostini now do 1075 in 1/8th scale (Roy is building one I'm sure), I want to stick to 1/12th and I don't have the money for it either!

I'm also confused by the different marks of car, the MkII is surely the one Trumpeter model so 1966, but chassis 1075 was a late car built for the 1968 season by JWAE for themselves so that can't be a MkI - can it?

Sorry for the dim questions but any pointers would be appreciated.

Dave

P1075 is a lot closer to a GT40 than a Mk II. Consider - different engine (small block), rear bodywork (no brake vents, no top side vents) front air duct, rear wheelarch extensions, doors (particularly the door handles) and a myriad of other changes that are involved in turning a GT40 into a Mirage and then back into a lighter weight GT40 again. As the Irish say  - "you want to get to Dublin? Well you don't want to start from here"

• Like 1

There is a very good Haynes manual on the GT40 with umpteen detail pics that would be of great help. It's not a cheapo book - about £25 but you might find a used copy...

Oh, and Dave, yes, I'm building the 1/8th DeAg one...

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

Thanks @Jo NZ and @roymattblack for your prompt replies, I had a feeling it might be a problem otherwise there would be a lot more conversions around!

I looked at getting the Haynes manual but decided to treat myself with another volume in the Great Cars series and ordered the one on chassis 1075 by Ray Hutton, it should be here by Tuesday so I'll be able to tease myself on what might have been!

So my dilemma is now whether to follow Roy's example and be damned to accuracy or choose which 1966 car to do...……

thinks...Ken Miles' car was blue and orange..... and he was a brilliant driver, a Brit and robbed.....

How is the DeAg kit Roy? Looking at the ModelSpace forum it seems like supply problems at the moment?

Dave

I'm currently collecting the parts - so far up to month 4, so about 15-16 issues...
As with your proposed 1/12 build, I too will be converting the 1/8 DeAg kit to a different car.

I'm fortunate to have a friend who has a genuine 1960's original and he wants me to model his car.

It will involve a lot of modifications, especially the body. Hey ho - on we go...

new.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, roymattblack said:

There is a very good Haynes manual on the GT40 with umpteen detail pics that would be of great help. It's not a cheapo book - about £25 but you might find a used copy...

Er Roy,   It was £7 in The Works,   listed until quite recently.

That's where I bought a copy.

1 hour ago, roymattblack said:

I'm currently collecting the parts - so far up to month 4, so about 15-16 issues...
As with your proposed 1/12 build, I too will be converting the 1/8 DeAg kit to a different car.

I too am collecting these parts with the intention of doing a different version. What are you using to strip the paint? I’m using Nitromors in the new green tins but it’s proving very hard work.

Nick

I looked at The Works for the book recently - no longer available.
Cheapest I can currently find is top-dollar...

With regards stripping the paint on my model parts - I'm not going to even try.
I will give the parts a very serious smoothing and sanding and then prime with Halfords primer.
I'm very well aware that whatever the model manufacturer uses, the finish is INCREDIBLY hard to remove.
Nitromors barely touches it  and you will end up with a terrible orange peel finish that will be rock hard and extremely hard to fix.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roymattblack said:

I'm fortunate to have a friend who has a genuine 1960's original and he wants me to model his car.

It will involve a lot of modifications, especially the body. Hey ho - on we go...

Build thread please Roy.

Dave

I’ve just seen one famous Scottish retailer listing this for ...(wait for it) ....£169 !!, whereas Hiroboy have (had!) it at £99, but now out of stock.

What is very noticeable is how the box art seems to have been downgraded (from the original Trumpeter kit) to almost looking like a childs toy - the perspective is all over the place, and generic wording only.lie there is no mention of Ford or GT40...just. ‘US Sports car...24 hour endurance racing car’.

sorry, I haven’t mastered posting pics to BM yet, but the box shot is available online under brand Magnifier (who they?).

1 hour ago, sennapod said:

sorry, I haven’t mastered posting pics to BM yet, but the box shot is available online under brand Magnifier (who they?)

Hi Sennapod, mine arrived this morning and despite the awful box art the contents are lovely looking and very complete. Exactly the same as the Trumpeter release as Magnifier are another of Trumpeters satellite companies like Hobby Boss.

I got mine on pre order from the Big H at a bargain £89 and given that the old 1/12 Tamiya Matra F1 car is being re released by Ebbro at about £180 this is a bargain (and yes I know it has some problems) and will make an impressive model straight out of the box.

Dave

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

Hi Sennapod, mine arrived this morning and despite the awful box art the contents are lovely looking and very complete. Exactly the same as the Trumpeter release as Magnifier are another of Trumpeters satellite companies like Hobby Boss.

I got mine on pre order from the Big H at a bargain £89 and given that the old 1/12 Tamiya Matra F1 car is being re released by Ebbro at about £180 this is a bargain (and yes I know it has some problems) and will make an impressive model straight out of the box.

Dave

I built this one a few years ago and if it's ANYWHERE at £89 at the moment, let us have a link.

I'll definitely buy one again.

Roy, Hannants pre order at £89, regular price £99, and they came into stock yesterday morning, with mine arriving in darkest Cornwall 24 hours later, that's pretty good service by my reckoning.

Now can I build up those rear wheel arches and cut out the upper intake to make a stab at a MKI?

Dave

PS, Beg Puddin' £89.99 regular price £99.99

Edited by Coors54
PS
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

.........with mine arriving in darkest Cornwall 24 hours later, that's pretty good service by my reckoning.

Is that with customs duty when coming from the Mainland to Cornwall Dave?

🤣

Rick.

PS, I'd love the GT40, but spent too much already this lock-down.

• Haha 1

Just now, Rick Brown said:

Is that with customs duty when coming from the Mainland to Cornwall Dave?

As a resident I'm exempt, we only charge that to Emmets. 😜

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

Anybody any idea when Meng’s is being released?

Later this year I believe, I thought about waiting for it but I reckon it will be nearer £200, if it had been a MKI I would definitely have waited but as it is a MKII like the Magnifier/Trumpeter it's not so attractive. It will undoubtedly be more accurate in the engine department and probably more detailed in the suspension area but the variant it is doesn't warrant the extra cost for me.

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I don’t think I’ll be bothering in 1/12 - I want to try and avoid getting sucked into yet another scale!

Has your P1075 biography arrived yet? It’s a pretty good book imo.

Nick

3 minutes ago, Nick Belbin said:

Has your P1075 biography arrived yet? It’s a pretty good book imo.

Morning Nick, yes the book arrived about a week ago and like the 917 one is a pretty complete story of 1075 with loads of pictures and anecdotal stories, the only problem being it has convinced me that the kit cannot be converted into a MKI without a huge amount of expenditure and heartbreak! That series of books are very moreish, I can feel an Alfa Romeo Monza itch coming on.

So I'm going to have to either sell the kit (so soon!) and buy the 1/8 scale part work (or do a diecast up cycle) to get a proper Pedro Rodriguez era MKI or just build it as a MKII, if I do that I'm thinking of making it as chassis P1031, a Holman & Moody entered car for Mario Andretti in the '66 Le Mans race - tenuous kit collection link is that I've seen Mario drive a couple of times in Indy car and Formula 1!

Dave