1/72 Hasegawa RAAF F-111C (pre Pave Tack)- update part II

G'day everyone.

I'm building this as a thank you to a mate who helped me out earlier this year with some parts he supplied to me for a P-40 build.

I asked him what he had in the stash that he would like to have built and he ended up giving me the venerable Hasegawa F-111C kit...in Aussie markings of course! I've got a soft spot for the Pig as my dad worked on them when he served in the RAAF and I remember crawling all over them when I was a kid when I visited him on base during school holidays so I was more than happy to build it for him.

After discussions, it was decided that I'd do a pre Pave Tack 'C' model which means leaving off the AN/AVQ-26 and installing the gun pod instead. Other than that it'll be plain sailing with the build...touch wood.

Work so far has been making the intake trunking into a seamless unit. The kit instruction would have you install the trunking first and then the splitter plate on the TP III intake and then the shock cone. I decided to build it as a one piece unit for two reasons. Firstly to remove the seam between the splitter plate and the trunking and secondly to ease painting. Simple stuff but helps with the appearance in the area of the intake.

This is the final product with a coat of Tamiya XF-2 and coat of future to give it the gloss look. I'm happy with the way it turned out

2012_11_23_3813.JPG

This image shows the painted main gear wheel well and the port intake trunking installed. I've left off the translating cowl as it hinders installation if it were in position. Leaving it off will also aid in masking the internals later down the track.

2012_11_23_3817.JPG

A bit more detail of the same.

2012_11_23_3821.JPG

The pilot side canopy has been opened up too. I'm fortunate to have a second kit that I can scavenge a second canopy. One canopy piece will be used for the main frame and the second canopy will be used for the open piece. It means i won't have to worry about any lost material during the cutting process then.

2012_11_23_3824.JPG

As the canopy will be open I've decided against using the decal provided. Being an early 'C' model means it doesn't have the chaff bag for the Pave Tack unit. I've gone with a template for the IP based loosely on the decal provided in the kit. This part will be backed with the plastic piece from the kit. A few holes drilled, some 'buttins' punched with a fine point and some scored lines to represent the individual panel components. I think it will work....nothing like a bit of creative gismology!

2012_11_23_3826.JPG

...and YES...it is small!

2012_11_23_3827.JPG

And an F-111 isn't an F-111 without carrying some iron. Thanks to the Cashman from my club for donating these to the project!!!

2012_11_23_3823.JPG

Here's where it's happening!

2012_11_23_3828.JPG

Hope you guys like it and any and all comments are welcome...and invited!!!

Thanks for looking

Mick

P.S. - Gaz, I hope you approve ;)

A bit of progression over the last few day. The main cockpit tub has been painted and installed and the major fuselage construction is under way too. The intakes are in and I'm pleased to say the translating cowls fit...SCORE!

The IP is just about done though it needs a bit more dry brushing. I painted it in a method that is a bit bottom about face. A quick guide...if I may.

1. Cut template for new IP from original plastic part.

2. Score, drill and punch surface details on new IP.

3. Paint the panel with a mid grey tone...not too dark. I've used Vallejo paint with a bit of retarder to prevent it drying too quickly and a bit of water as a thinning agent...all this flows nicely into the above scored, punched a drilled nooks and crannies.

4. ...oh yeah, glue the new IP to the original part...

5. Now dry brush the black...again Vallejo onto the painted grey panel. By doing this you can build up the black without destroying the grey in the said nooks and crannies...operative activity 'DRY brushing'...it takes a while to build it up. I think mine still needs more.

comprende :?: if not..pic below...

The A/H is from the Mike Grant 1/72 jet instrument decal sheet.Mike's goodness is here -> http://www.mikegrant...nstruments.html Just punch 'em out...no not that way ...with a trusty Waldron et al...

2012_11_27_3955.JPG

Driver and failed driver's office!

2012_11_27_3952.JPG

Intakes ....yep yep...good to go.

2012_11_27_3954.JPG

...and sweet baby cheeses weren't these fun to make...his and hers throttles.

2012_11_27_3957.JPG

No scanning electron microscope needed here...pffft...what was I thinking!

2012_11_27_3958.JPG

Hope you like...if not...well....fine then! Nehnehneneneh!

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 1

Looks good so far, just a few notes:

1. Consider again the idea gluing tunnel to translating cowl, as I had bad troubles in the same area on F-111F. Moreover, the kit doesn't provide the other side (outer one) of the intake tunnel

2. The tunnel isn't (wasn't) just white, there were visible seams between pannels.

3. Opening canopy - what about Pavla vac formed one?

Looking forward to see this one finished - I have some 8 unstarted and two awaiting big repair (My cats shot those two off shelf...).

Looks good so far, just a few notes:

1. Consider again the idea gluing tunnel to translating cowl, as I had bad troubles in the same area on F-111F. Moreover, the kit doesn't provide the other side (outer one) of the intake tunnel

2. The tunnel isn't (wasn't) just white, there were visible seams between pannels.

3. Opening canopy - what about Pavla vac formed one?

Looking forward to see this one finished - I have some 8 unstarted and two awaiting big repair (My cats shot those two off shelf...).

G'day Serverus.

Thanks for the tips re the intake though they are now both installed!!! I think I get away without the panel lines in 72nd as I've used this as the reference http://f-111.net/models/inlets/IN007a.jpg.

I'll check the transalting cowl fit tonight.

The Pavla vacform is a good idea too as you don't need to worry about the thickness of the plastic. However, the internal window framing and mechanisms will need to be built up. I think the jury is out on that one for now.

Be sure to post up pics of your build when they hit the production line.

Thanks again.

Mick

Mick, you need to get the hell away from this seventy two scale crap, what are you doing? Thirty two scale is where its at, go an' talk to Ralph!!!

Great to see stuff on the bench

Bruce

Oi! I've not seen you build any for a while!!! You bild a 72nd and I'll build a 32nd! :hobbyhorse:

Does a 1/35 RQ-7B Heron count...oh yeah, I've got the AFV RF-5E on the go too!

Is the Hurricane finished yet?

• 2 weeks later...

G'day again eveyone,

Just a few small things going on at the moment. I've managed to sort the interior framing for the open canopy. I've found that laminating thin sheets of curved evergreen sheet holds its shape rather than a single thick piece bent into shape. I marked the interior frame on the part and the scribed and chiselled the interior part away with the reult below. I'm trying to render some of the canopy fram detail shown in this photo of Phil 'Budgie' Parson's ride. (Thanks to the guys at http://www.airshow-party.de for the pic too).

F111_JH_2_.jpg

Photo_3-12-12_10_05_45_PM.jpg

The BRUs are kinda good to go though they look a bit plain without any mounting points installed. Must look into that. Pappy, where are you?

Photo_3-12-12_10_09_19_PM.jpg

Wing seals are made from Taimya tape. I think it helps give the area a bit of a fabric look to it rather than smoothe plastic. Your thoughts?

Photo_4-12-12_9_32_00_PM.jpg

Photo_4-12-12_9_32_26_PM.jpg

I hope you like and if you've got any suggestions or ideas please let me know!

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick

am very interested to see how this one comes along;

a, because I have never built an F111, must get around to it

b, I use to work on them in the 80's, am an ex-instrument fitter with 6 SQN. Have spent many hours in various uncomfortable position in the cockpit fixing stuff, not easy when you're over 6" tall!!

What colour scheme are you going to do, later Grey or earlier three colour?

will keep a close eye on your progress, may just have to build one now!

Hi Mick

am very interested to see how this one comes along;

a, because I have never built an F111, must get around to it

b, I use to work on them in the 80's, am an ex-instrument fitter with 6 SQN. Have spent many hours in various uncomfortable position in the cockpit fixing stuff, not easy when you're over 6" tall!!

What colour scheme are you going to do, later Grey or earlier three colour?

will keep a close eye on your progress, may just have to build one now!

Hi Rich,

Great to have you along for the ride! The Hasegawa kit is a real little gem. I've got a few other to build at a later date too though this one is for a mate.

I love the F-111 as my dad also worked on the during the early 80's though he was with 3AD.

The final scheme will be the early SEA scheme. Not quite sure of the squadron or 'A' number yet.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover

Hi Mick,

have very fond memories of them as well, was very sad to see them go!

Really do think I may have to build a 1/48th scale one.

Just for interest sake there was an odd man out, 129 (from memory), for some reason it use to require the opposite trim to fly straight compared to all the others. As a result for most training missions the SUU pod was fitted to the opposite pylon when compared to all the other aircraft.

From memory the last Gun pack was removed 85/86(?), my time there we didn't have guns to play with so Gunnies spent most of their time building trailers for everyone! Though I did see the result of the front gun mount coming loose during Gunnery practice (lots of "brown" stuff in the cockpit! :o) )!

They were very grubby in the cockpit, plus you may want to (if you want to) try and make up the radar hood for the Nav.

The wing seals should be alright, if they are a bit course then painting will soften. If you are going to "weather", don't forget the gery goop streaking from wing panels mostly (underside) and fuselage (again underside), they did use to leak a bit. Their general appearance was always a little bit grubby (even if we did "wash" them each Friday...with shhhh avtur! :whistle: ), and if they had a training mission for high speed runs (+2 M) they would look terrible, paint off everywhere.

It maybe a bit hard to replicate (though someone around here will know) was the "gold" anti-flash coating on the canopies, wasn't a heavy coating but still was noticable.

Anyway, now just want to build one.....just gotta finish the group builds first :doh::frantic: ...maybe later next year.....

keep up the good work, will watch with interest

rich

Hi Mick,

have very fond memories of them as well, was very sad to see them go!

Really do think I may have to build a 1/48th scale one.

Just for interest sake there was an odd man out, 129 (from memory), for some reason it use to require the opposite trim to fly straight compared to all the others. As a result for most training missions the SUU pod was fitted to the opposite pylon when compared to all the other aircraft.

From memory the last Gun pack was removed 85/86(?), my time there we didn't have guns to play with so Gunnies spent most of their time building trailers for everyone! Though I did see the result of the front gun mount coming loose during Gunnery practice (lots of "brown" stuff in the cockpit! :o) )!

They were very grubby in the cockpit, plus you may want to (if you want to) try and make up the radar hood for the Nav.

The wing seals should be alright, if they are a bit course then painting will soften. If you are going to "weather", don't forget the gery goop streaking from wing panels mostly (underside) and fuselage (again underside), they did use to leak a bit. Their general appearance was always a little bit grubby (even if we did "wash" them each Friday...with shhhh avtur! :whistle: ), and if they had a training mission for high speed runs (+2 M) they would look terrible, paint off everywhere.

It maybe a bit hard to replicate (though someone around here will know) was the "gold" anti-flash coating on the canopies, wasn't a heavy coating but still was noticable.

Anyway, now just want to build one.....just gotta finish the group builds first :doh::frantic: ...maybe later next year.....

keep up the good work, will watch with interest

rich

Some great anecdotes there Rich! :speak_cool:

Thanks for the additional inforamtion. If it's the right jet, there are photos of 131 with the gun damage on the adf-serials web site.

I have seen images of the grey goop undergoing reversion? Apparently it changes state at high speeds due to the aerodynamic heating? I might put a few smears on it to add some visual interest I've also got an idea of how to do the gold tint.

I've also had the suggestion from a current 6 squadron member who worked on them that the radar hood should be added. I don't think he buillt trailers though!

Mick