Bluebird CN8A

Deanflyer

In my last What If, I killed off two jet pioneers. This time, to make amends, I'm going to save the life of a true British hero...

Early in the morning of January 4th 1967, Bluebird K7 skimmed across Coniston Water on its second run of the day through the measured mile. At the controls was Donald Campbell, (later Sir Donald) and as the end of the run approached, it was clear that the craft was travelling faster than it ever had before. To the immense relief of all, the craft shot past the end marker at 315.27mph, setting a new World Water Speed Record in the process. Subsequent examination of K7 showed that its fuel feed system was faulty, and could have caused the engine to flame out at any time. If this had happened at speed, the thrust necessary to keep the craft nose down in planing trim would have been lost, and could have resulted in disaster. When this was pointed out to Donald, his stoic response was typical: "Well, it didn't."

Donald’s fortunes were resurgent. Backers, so long absent from his record attempts, were buoyed up with the swell of national pride, and floods of offers of sponsorship arrived to regain the Land Speed Record. A vehicle was designed by the Norris brothers to achieve this, named, naturally, Bluebird CN8.

The vehicle was not wheel driven, as the LSR was now held by the Americans at 594mph, and as the record was now held by rocket propelled craft, it was considered to be beyond the reach of driven wheel technology. First, a rocket propelled vehicle was designed and even mocked up, then a jet propelled vehicle was proposed, subsequently revised to twin jet, to be powered by Rolls Royce turbojet engines. RR as a British company, were fully committed to the Campbell project, and donated six engines to the group, along with the necessary corporate backup and technicians to service them.

Construction of the 42ft, eight ton vehicle began at Motor Panels Ltd in Coventry in July 1968, and the first test runs were carried out in December the same year. Although the design deliberately used the twin jets close together along the vehicle’s axis to combat asymmetric thrust problems, longitudinal stability difficulties were still encountered. A single fin was added to the design as it had been with Bluebird K7, this one sourced from a scrap Lightning jet fighter. The vehicle was annotated as Bluebird CN8A.

Also, in line with Donald’s wishes, an ejection seat was fitted to the vehicle to enable rapid egress in case of an emergency. Donald, having already survived a high speed roll in one of the earlier Bluebirds, was not keen to end his life in similar circumstances. This led to problems with siting the steering wheel in a position where it would not obstruct an ejection, and in the end it was decided that the vehicle would be steered by pedals operating both the rudder on the fin and the front wheels, affording 4 degrees of lock. The cockpit was fitted with a grab handle on the right hand side, to stabilise the occupant whose left hand would be gripping the twin throttles.

In February 1969 a series of test runs determined that although stability was now greatly improved, the wheels were incapable of biting into the salt flat surface which would be its track, and tended to allow the vehicle to crab. The wheels were subsequently redesigned with the distinctive “locomotive lip” to aid traction, and it is in this final configuration that Bluebird entered the record books on 30th March 1970, with a new World Land Speed Record of 616.23mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in the USA. This record stood until Gary Gabelich’s Blue Flame reclaimed it for America in October of the same year.

Although successful, Donald declared the driving experience “horrible”, and the vehicle was never run under its own power again. It was on permanent loan to the Beaulieu Motor Collection until Sir Donald’s death in 1987, whereupon it was transferred to the Coventry Museum of Road Transport where it currently resides alongside its British LSR successors, Thrust 2 and Thrust SSC.

• Like 1

How on earth do you plan to build this one, then?

I'm just eyeing up the Bristol Type 188 I'm talking to someone about buying off me, and noticing the passing similarity of shape to Thrust SSC.

Actually, come to think of it, how come nobody's ever made a range of models of the real LSR cars? Surely those would sell, no, particularly if the Americans were to put in a proper effort on the record again! Mind you, last I heard, their hot new idea was to tinker with the engine of an F-104, chop off the wings and add some wheels... :mental:

Right, on with the construction of the Campbell-Norris 8A…this is the story so far.

I had a trawl through my spares box, and came out with a likely selection of bits for this build:

blue1.jpg

Afficionados may recognize some of the bits as a Canberra recon bomb bay insert, a Lightning fin, a Formula 1 car of some description, Canberra intakes and engine fronts, a Jaguar cockpit and a Squadron vacform canopy for a car door Typhoon. Some of the bits were not used in the end, and the Steradent tablet tube was an attempt to get a couple of tubes to represent the jet engines. In the end, the tube proved to be too large in diameter, but a kids’ Halloween toy came to the rescue:

blue5.jpg

This proved to be just the right size, although it took three dousings in Fairy Power Spray and a resulting case of dermatitis to persuade the adhesive from the label to let go! In the end, it was just the right size to accept some cut back intakes from the Airfix 1/48 Canberra. Even more amazing, they were exactly the right diameter to take a couple of 1/48 Phantom jet nozzles at the other end! These were taken from my FGR.2 kit, as I have resin ones to take their place:

blue8.jpg

I also need something to give it wheels, and while browsing around Vince’s Modelsforsale warehouse recently, I came across this kit in the secondhand section:

blue2.jpg

Vince, being the all round good egg that he is, (go and give him some custom!) threw the kit in for nothing along with my other purchases, so I didn’t mind doing this to it with the razor saw:

blue3.jpg

…as I was only after the sidepods:

blue4.jpg

I loosely taped and Blu-Tacked the bits together to get an idea of where I’m going with this:

blue7.jpg

Anything goes in the world of Land Speed Record breaking!

Lots of blending and puttying to come...

Keep watching,

Dean

• Like 1

First, a rocket propelled vehicle was designed and even mocked up...

Yes, I was aware of that but thanks for the interest. I thought it looked a bit spindly and unstable though, even downright dangerous! As if LSR breaking could be anything else... :winkgrin:

Cheers,

Dean

cn8_n_coop.jpg

For those still unsure, it's the one on the left.... :whistle:

It would never catch the Min...!!

Fantastic idea & excellent execution of it again so far Dean - this is going to be a brilliant looking model! And it already looks like it could well work in real life if scaled up a bit...!!

Keef

Thanks for the interest so far, folks! I’m trying to solve engineering problems that the real thing would have, which makes it more believable I think.

I made the wheels by using a compass cutter to cut some circles of thick plastic card, and glueing them onto a tyre half from a kit I don’t remember. Another amazing coincidence, they’re exactly the right size for the wheel arches on the side pods! A nut in the centre with a bit of plastic rod to simulate an axle, a coat of Alclad Airframe Aluminium, and we have wheels. Still haven’t sorted out how to attach them yet.

blue18.jpg

I blended the engine intakes to the tubes and the turtledeck to the nose with several rounds of filler, sanding and primer:

blue6.jpg

…and decided that the rear turtledeck looked a bit featureless and needed something to help fair in the fin. I used the recce pod from the FGR.2, with a bit sawn off to simulate an intake behind the cockpit opening I’d cut– I also thought that it’d echo the design of Bluebird K7, giving it a bit more heritage:

blue9.jpg

I also decided on the design of the rear end – I built an inverted triangular structure, scalloped inwards to avoid the jet exhaust, similar to Phantoms and Jaguars:

blue10.jpg

The two square holes on the rear turtledeck originally for the Canberra’s cameras, will be used to house the twin braking parachutes. There’s also a towing eye and some fuel vent pipes to go on the rear bulkhead to busy it up a bit, but they can go on after painting.

The cockpit was built and painted, although it’s a coalhole in black, so I decided against further detailing with the canopy closed. I had to extend the sidewalls up to meet the cockpit opening I’d cut, which makes it difficult to photograph:

blue13.jpg

I painted up a resin Canberra ejection seat:

blue12.jpg

…and paired the two up:

blue14.jpg

Still need to build in the grab handle on the right of the cockpit though.

Once the cockpit was installed, complete with grab handle:

blue16.jpg

I could mask and install the canopy, painting it black so the frames inside would be the correct colour:

blue19.jpg

And now I'm turning my attention to the side pods...

More when it happens,

Dean

Cheers folks!

Rich, it will be painted as per the original Bluebird, I’ve just received a colour matched pot of Zero paint, RAL 5009, which I shall be trying out as soon as it gets to that stage. I bought some tiny union jack decals at Telford, so it’ll even have the crossed flags emblem on the nose.

As for the front spoiler causing a compressor stall, it’s deceiving from the photos but the angle of the aerofoil section and the position of the end fences actually helped to smooth the airflow into the intake mouths and acted as a sort of pre-first stage compressor. The science of Computational Fluid Dynamics was engaged in its design, and was moderately successful in displacing the stagnation point from the intake lip to a more efficient location in accordance with the now well known Haltenberg’s Law. Hope that helps...

I went about scribing and riveting the rear chassis panels before giving them a coat of Alclad polished Aluminium and a bit of depth with Steel shading:

blue20.jpg

blue21.jpg

I then masked them up so I can complete the rest of the construction without rubbing off the incredibly fragile Alclad.

Time to do something about the side pods. There were large gaps around the front ends where a spoiler was supposed to go, and these needed boxing in with plastic card. I also faired in and painted over the headlight apertures. I decided that the large radiator outlets on the side would be superfluous in this design, so I plated them over to something a little more discreet. I also planked over the top of the sidepod where the large radiator intake was sited, to give it a smoother, more flowing appearance. Compare the original with the amended:

blue23.jpg

blue24.jpg

blue25.jpg

Still a bit of filling and smoothing to go, but when everything is lined up it’s starting to look a bit more like I envisaged it:

blue26.jpg

More when it happens,

Dean

As for the front spoiler causing a compressor stall, it’s deceiving from the photos but the angle of the aerofoil section and the position of the end fences actually helped to smooth the airflow into the intake mouths and acted as a sort of pre-first stage compressor. The science of Computational Fluid Dynamics was engaged in its design, and was moderately successful in displacing the stagnation point from the intake lip to a more efficient location in accordance with the now well known Haltenberg’s Law. Hope that helps...

That's just what I was thinking it would do....!! :whistle::D

She's looking fantastic Dean, I wish I could envisage models like that...!!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Cheers, chaps!

Haven't been working this week, so I've had the opportunity to get the whole thing together, fill all the gaps with endless rounds of PSR, and then get the chassis primered and ready for paint:

blue28.jpg

I gave it a couple of coats of Zero RAL5009, which is apparently the right colour for a Bluebird, and at that point had to stop photographing it against the blue card as it simply disappeared! Here it is against some grey instead:

blue29.jpg

I've let that dry, and it's currently sitting waiting for the first coat of Klear to dry on top. When that's had a while, say tomorrow morning, I'll be able to start decalling. I made some decals for the Rolls Royce emblem (as they donated the engines to the project I thought they deserved a mention) and the bluebird logo for the extreme nose, so they're drying after a coat of liquid decal film at the moment. Once I figure out how to attach the wheels to this thing, I won't be far off finishing it...

More when it happens,

Dean

This is comming along very nicely, I like the combination of elementsa and the background, Do you think the front aerofoil could disrupt airflow to the engines?

Cheers for the interest, folks...

More progress - the Klear was allowed to dry properly overnight, and then I started on the decalling. Or at least I tried to...the Union Jacks that I bought at Telford for the nose and tail turned out not to be decals at all! Just printed bits of paper for model flagpoles. Oh well, back to the computer to draw up some more and get them printed out. The Bluebird emblem and the Rolls Royce plate were also made this way, the other markings were scrounged from the spares box. I decided against too many stencils and warnings on it as I reasoned that this would be worked on by a small and select team, who would know very well which bits were dangerous! I couldn't resist a few markings here and there though, just to liven it up a bit. Here it is after decalling:

blue30.jpg

Crossed flags on the nose:

blue31.jpg

The business end:

blue32.jpg

I've now figured out a way to attach the wheels, and I've also fabricated a floor for the thing from sheet plastic and made the braking parachute packs from shirt cloth. I've got to the stage when I could unmask the canopy, so I did and all seems well in there:

blue33.jpg

blue34.jpg

So, floor to attach, a few little bits and pieces to attach such as pitots, parachutes, towing eyes and vents, and then the wheels can go on. Then I'll work on the base, and hopefully the next time you see it, it should be finished.

Cheers,

Dean

Reuters reports: "Recent research has uncovered a rare colour photograph of Sir Donald Campbell's Bluebird car sitting on the Utah salt flats just prior to achieving the Land Speed Record of 616.23mph on 30th March 1970.

Although it has since become one of the world's most photographed vehicles, most of the film which exists of the record attempt was shot in black and white, so a colour photo of the car in it's natural environment is a real rarity.

It apparently shows the 42ft jet-powered vehicle surrounded by blue overalled mechanics and support equipment, with the team's Bluebird flags flying in the breeze behind. It is not clear whether the picture was taken after the first or second run, but there is no sign of Campbell himself, which suggests it was taken before the first.

In any case, an important piece of British history has been unearthed, and the Campbell Foundation is expected to be selling off limited edition prints to collectors around the world."

blue34-1.jpg

Here is the Bluebird herself, in more familiar monochrome, pictured towards the end of the measured mile:

blue35.jpg

So she's finished. I'm making a base as we speak, and if the weather is any good tomorrow, I might be able to get some photos done.

Thanks for letting me join in,

Dean

• Like 1

Brilliant stuff Dean, absolutely fantastic - both the model & finding those really rare piccies of the real thing! I'm sure that Jack Vettriano was commisioned to do a painting of that colour shot.....??!!

Great work all round!!

Keef