Land Rover Snatch-2A 24v RHD (Airfix 1/48)

Hi

Here is my Snatch-2A Protected Patrol Vehicle, based on the Land Rover Heavy Duty Chassis. The model represents the "Rest of World Variant" with ACU.

The kit was a pleasure to build, although I did have some difficulty lining up the sides of the armoured body. I had trouble tracking down the new Humbrol #237, so while waiting for the delivery to come from Airfix, I settled for Humbrol #94 enamel, which seems quite a good match. My one regret was using Schwartz Hixed Herbs for the camo netting, as it is rather overscale, however the upside is that the model smells nice even after a coat of paint! I used the #237 on the armoured body shell and then motttled on some Humbrol #118, which is all but invisible after the Raw Umber wash and Mig Gulf War Sand weathering!

I was inspired by Parabat's excellent WMIK walkaround shots to paint one wing, the bonnet and the spare wheel green and one of the running wheels black. I also painted the door mirrors odd colours, which I think really adds some visual interest.

The only extras were the stretched sprue antenna, the fabric rolls under the cab windows and over the side hatches, some mesh on the bull bars and a couple of Union Flag decals for front and rear bumpers.

Sorry about the picture quality, but the available light is very poor on such a miserable day!

I hope you like it and I am now itching to get on with the matching WMIK.

DSC_5237.jpg

DSC_5238.jpg

DSC_5239.jpg

DSC_5236.jpg

DSC_5242.jpg

Edited by Alpha Delta 210
  • Like 6

Outstanding, looks the part, very convincing weathering and innovative use of Mixed Herbs! Looks like the driver had to force a belligerent driver off the road and those panels and mirror needing a replacement.

(thanks for the mention)

Alpha Delta 210

OH MY G!!

EXCEPTIONALLY realistic looking Land Rover Snatch vehicle.

I can almost feel and smell that rusted look. The camouflage is just absolutely PERFECTION.

Looks and feels like the real McCoy!!

Boy that is a STUPENDOUS workmanship.

I applaud you Sir...

Thanks very much for all the supportive comments regarding my herb-covered, dusty old Snatch.....

The more I look at it, the more I regret using the over-scale herbs, because I am really happy with how the base model turned out. I looked at lots of pictures of Herrick vehicles and decided that I wanted it to be very dusty. However, at one point, I thought I might have over-done it, and then I found this!

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/1_35th_Vehicles.html

Firing Line cammo..... this etched sheet looks good if you anneal it first then bend leaves in a random manner before painting randomly in sand/pink or dark green/light green or green/black depending on the appropriate scenario.

If you were then to add the herbs, finely rubbed, it would look even more the business!

Nice model though.....m,ight be 'over egging' it a bit!

Regards

Rex

Fixed that for ya ;)

http://www.mod-sales...DESERTISED).htm

Looks like it was dropped down a flight of stairs.. I want one.

Thanks for sorting out the link, Michael. I made the post from my iPhone, but I don't know why it didn't work! I have amended it again to make it neater.

Someone one paid £1550 for that Snatch! I would take your analogy further to two flights of stairs before settling in a sand pit!! :winkgrin:

http://www.djparkins...h_Vehicles.html

Firing Line cammo..... this etched sheet looks good if you anneal it first then bend leaves in a random manner before painting randomly in sand/pink or dark green/light green or green/black depending on the appropriate scenario.

If you were then to add the herbs, finely rubbed, it would look even more the business!

Nice model though.....m,ight be 'over egging' it a bit!

Regards

Rex

Thanks for the link, Rex. I had never heard of this company, but I have now bookmarked them! :thumbsup:

Nice one! Hope mine turns out half as good...

So any kitchen products slightly smaller than mixed herbs?

Thanks Sean, glad you like it. I look forward to seeing yours.

An Army friend who is familiar with the Snatch said that t he material is secured to a 'blanket', and suggested using sand on PVA glue to get the subtle cam net effect. Sounds like a good idea to me. Let us know if you try it. :winkgrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...