US Road Trip 2012 Pt 4 - SAC's 'big sticks' - updated 6 Dec 12

canberraman

Located less than a mile from the Davis Monthan AFB Az. 'Desert Boneyard' is the almost equally impressive Pima museum.

Pima Air & Space Museum, 'where history takes flight', is one of the largest air and space museums in the world, and the largest non-government funded aviation museum. You'll see more than 300 aircraft and spacecraft including many of the most historically significant and technically advanced craft ever produced, both from the United States and throughout the world.

For the purpose of this photo report I've concentrated on some of the 'heavies' once assigned to Strategic Air Command (SAC)- the USAF's airborne nuclear arsenal that existed from 1947 until the end of the Cold War in 1991.

Guarding the entrance to Pima are the mighty Arizonan native saguaros.

431a1.jpg

The shield of SAC whose motto was 'Peace Is Our Profession adorns the nose of this B-36

967a1.jpg

The Convair B-36J is the largest Pima exhibit. This superbly recently renovated example wears the markings of the 95th BW from Biggs AFB Tx.

954a1.jpg

No less than 3 B-52s reside in the Pima collection. The oldest is this NB-52A latterly assigned to the Edwards AFB Test Center

969a1.jpg

B-52D 55-0067 carries the markings of the 7th BW from Carswell AFB Tx.

965a1.jpg

Gulf War veteran, B-52G 58-0183 of the 2nd BW Barksdale AFB La.

972a1.jpg

A pair of C/KC-97Gs

932a1.jpg

KC-97G 53-0151 in the markings of the 9th SAW from Mountain Home AFB Id.

936a1.jpg

A couple of views of EB-47E Stratojet representing an aircraft from the 376th BW Lockbourne Oh.

961a1.jpg

951a1.jpg

Airborne Command Post EC-135J 63-8057 of the 9th ACCS Hicham AFB hawaii

945a1.jpg

World's first supersonic bomber, Convair B-58A Huster in the markings of the 305th BW Grissom AFB In.

985a1.jpg

And still the world's fastest aircraft, the astonishing SR-71A that takes pride of place inside Hangar 1 at Pima

1025a1.jpg

To finish, here's a couiple of aerial views of the Pima complex that give an idea of the scale and splendour of this fantastic collection.

366a1.jpg

334a1.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Mark

Edited by canberraman

Gents

Thanks very much for the comments. Archie, in answer to your questions I flew on a Cessna 172 from Double Eagle Aviation at Tucson (we know the owner) and yes there's plenty more air to airs over AMARG if anyone's interested.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I flew with Double Eagle in Sept, great bunch of guys!

I'd love to see your AMARG shots, mine were taken fairly early (7.00am take off on a Saturday) would love to see the results you got.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Couldn't agree more about Double Eagle - very friendly and accommodating buch of guys. I'm almost tempted to go back and do my PPL with them!

My AMARG and Pima shots were taken at about 9am on Oct 23rd so the sun was higher and the light was OK. Must've taken about 1000 shots from the air so I'm gradually working through to pick out some decent ones and without too much shake! I will get round to posting them on here soon - honest!

Thanks all

Mark

Hi Mark,

I flew with Double Eagle in Sept, great bunch of guys!

I'd love to see your AMARG shots, mine were taken fairly early (7.00am take off on a Saturday) would love to see the results you got.

Cheers

Tony

Hello Mark

Cheers for that. Look forward to seeing some more of the Boneyard. Would also like some more pictures from Pima especially the Guppy and Globemaster if you got any.

All the best

AC

Gents

Thanks very much for the comments. Archie, in answer to your questions I flew on a Cessna 172 from Double Eagle Aviation at Tucson (we know the owner) and yes there's plenty more air to airs over AMARG if anyone's interested.

Regards

Mark

We also have the Globemaster II here at Robins. If there are any photos in particular you want, I think I can help. Also, I am a Boeing employee (Working on the C-17 Globemaster III) and can get additional photos from the library. Shout out if you would like some.

Derek

Glad to be of service Archie! Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Mark

Nice one Mark thanks for showing us some pictures of Ole Shaky as we used to call the C-124. The others are very nice too BTW.

Best wishes

AC

Hi Andy

Just for you a shot of the MFG1 Tonka and the Vigilante. Sadly in all the excitement it seems I forgot to shoot the Skyrays!

Cheers

Mark

904a1.jpg

1006a1.jpg

An amazing place to visit ! Would love to see Skyrays and Vigilantes close up.

Very surprised to see a MFG Tornado there.......do you have any close ups please :coolio:

Andy

Hi Andy

Just for you a shot of the MFG1 Tonka and the Vigilante. Sadly in all the excitement it seems I forgot to shoot the Skyrays!

Cheers

Mark

Dont mean to but in on your post.but heres the Skyray for Mark, you missedSAM_0664.jpg

Edited by ancient mariner

Really nice set, always love to see 'Balls 3' . See they've moved the SR-71 indoors now, that was outdoors under a shelter when I was there. The B-36 is also particularly awesome, must get back there again soon. Thank you for posting these excellent images.

Cheers,

Ken

Jeffrey

I only have two more shots of Balls 3 from my Pima trip and both are copied beneath.

339a1.jpg

970a1.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

did you, by any chance, take more pictures of Balls-3 (NB-52A)? I'd be interested in anything you've got...

Cheers

Jeffrey