Sea Vixen Hatches

Navy Bird

Hi mates,

I'm working on a model of XS587, a Sea Vixen FAW.2 (TT) in the colourful target tug paint scheme. I've found just this one picture that shows the top of the fuselage:

DSC_0067.jpg

The obvious thing that's missing here are the bright red hatches (I think that's the word) that are quite prominent on all other Sea Vixens. Does anyone know for sure that they were not on this plane in its operational use? Or perhaps they were removed or painted over before going into storage? There seems to be a light impression of the hashes in this photo.

Also, the fairing around the jet pipes appears to be grey in this photo, but only on top - you can see the yellow on the lower starboard side. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Bill

Hi mates,

I'm working on a model of XS587, a Sea Vixen FAW.2 (TT) in the colourful target tug paint scheme. I've found just this one picture that shows the top of the fuselage:

DSC_0067.jpg

The obvious thing that's missing here are the bright red hatches (I think that's the word) that are quite prominent on all other Sea Vixens. Does anyone know for sure that they were not on this plane in its operational use? Or perhaps they were removed or painted over before going into storage? There seems to be a light impression of the hashes in this photo.

Also, the fairing around the jet pipes appears to be grey in this photo, but only on top - you can see the yellow on the lower starboard side. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Bill

It looks like the hatchings are gray on this scheme & the rear section is a standard Vixen EDSG/White replacement part. As this was the development aircraft for the aborted target tug it wore semi Raspberry ripple scheme, this machine is now at the Gatwick museum in a poor state.

Grey, hmmm. I'm quite sure that no one makes these hatch markings in grey. All I've ever seen is red, so I think I may just do it in red anyway. There are no photos that really show a good top side view of this plane, so I can claim ignorance! Thanks!

Cheers,

Bill

If I remember correctly the hatches did have red markings originally, they were certainly there when I saw the machine at Hurn back in 1986 when she was still airworthy. I think what youi are seeing is twenty six plus years of faded paint, remember red is notoriously bad for fading. I agree that the edsg pannel is definitely a replacement.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

The no step markings were black at some stage on this aircraft but they may have been painted red later. Hard to tell now without a close look. The grey engine fairing might be off another Vixen but there are patches of white showing through somaybe someone at the museum has painted it grey. They probably want to paint the whole machine grey and ruin it.

Edited by WH904