Trent Meteor

Hhhalifaxxx

Hello, everyone. I'm thinking of using an Airfix Meteor III in my stash for a Trent Meteor conversion. It seems to be a simple enough job, with a pair of scratchbuilt auxiliary fins, Trent nacelles built up with putty, an Aeroclub Mk I canopy and a pair of 5-bladed props & spinner (from Testor's Spitfire 24, perhaps?) and some tweaking here and there. Then there is the undercarriage problem: it seems the Trent Meteor had a longer landing gear to give clearance for the Rotol props. Does anyone have an illustration of some sort to show how this elongated landing gear looked like? Also, where there any modification to the wheel wells (however unlikely, as the prototype was later changed back to its original form) and/or the u/c doors? In any case, how did the new u/c retract after the elongation?

If you need a scan of the Plastic Aircraft Modeller article just give me a PM - I managed to pick up that issue of PAM at Scale Model World - had been looking for it for years to fill the gap in the collection and there were two copies of the missing issue just sitting on the tables in the Kit Swop area - and who said it is only buses that appear in pairs when you least expect it!

Thanks to all. I believe this is a fairly common subject for an Airfix Meteor III conversion. I'd certainly have a much better finished model if I purchased the new MPM kit, but I wouldn't miss the fun of messing up with one more of my several items mothballing in my stash. No, I never toss anything into the "bin", unlike many of you guys: I'm too stingy and tight-fisted not to try to make something out of every single kit I purchased over so many years...