Kallisti - an open letter to the Mod's

As is IPMS Farnborough’s way we had a sub-committee meeting in a local pub last night. In attendance was our web master Andrew, known here a Kallisti

He relayed to those present the sorry tale of his suspension from Britmodeller for 90 days. While I realise that his crime was judged in the Cyberworld, there’s a lot to be said for talking face to face and knowing the accused.

While his crime is beyond doubt there are some factors only those of us who know him can present, I also believe taht in this case the punishment does don’t match the crime.

Many have remarked that the crime was made worse because it was a charity build for Help for Heroes, so I have a challenge to put forward a character reference, but here goes.

First let me explain that I am a serving member of the RAF and have raised money in many ways for HforH. I have also been of the receiving end of help following life saving surgery. HforH helps fund the rehabilitation centre I used to aid my recovery and provided help while I was in hospital for 29 days. IPMS Farnborough has also donated money from kit sales and when they are available we give them a free stand at our show. So I know how important they are, they are there look after my fellow servicemen and me.

Kallisti crime was to let his enthusiasm for the build, subject and hobby get the best of him. He emailed two of us to highlight the voting had started and suggest we consider his model. This was clearly wrong, but it was not malicious or devious in any way shape or form. He was just over zealous, letting his passion for modelling and this GB overrun him. He was equally guilty of being ignorant of the rules, but how many of us know all the in’s and out’s of the rules. He did also make a donation to HforH before this incident.

So my plea to the moderators is to take this serviceman’s character reference of a friend and fellow modeller into consideration and commute his sentence to ‘a severe reprimand’ or a reduction of his suspension down to below 30 days.

Kallisti is a genuine guy whose model input into this site is outstanding, how many of you followed his Stingray build, steam roller or his Drop Ship. Guilty? Yes, Ignorant of the rules? Yes. A bad person or cheat? No!

Yours

Chris

Edited by chrismac60

I was suspended for 30 days ,I did the crime I did the time.

He hassnt lost anything other then to write on the site .He can still read it.

Use the time to do more modelling and bide the time when its up he can come back.

Just like we all do. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

I'm not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of this. But I will just say:

• do remember that this forum is private property. This means that the owners' decision (they're not just moderators) is final. Whatever happens as a result of this thread starting, I hope we can accept it under the principle that if we want to swim in someone else's pool, we have to live by their rules, even the one about heavy petting. And that means not complaining as though we've been fundamentally wronged.
  • I'm really not sure that a public thread is the best way to pursue this. It's already turning into a petition and then an argument, whatever the original intention. If I owned the forum I would not take it well (so it's probably a good thing that I don't own one!)

Edited by pigsty
  • Like 1

The rules are there and they are clear. The moderators cannot be seen to show any favouritism (nice guy v bad guy, mate v stranger etc.,).

It doesn't help when 'others' try to circumvent the rules, by attacking these decisions or by trying to drum up support from the wider community in an obvious sympathy trawl.

Personally (if I had been suspended), I would be mortified if I found someone had exacerbated the situation by publicising it in an 'Open Letter'. This minor issue has now been elevated to a greater significance, due to this thread, and it is this which will be remembered, long after the original issue has been forgotten.

Mike

former member of armed forces for 24 years. Also a regular contributor to H4H

• Like 1

Apart from the assertion that he's a genuine guy, I'm not sure I can see anything there to encourage the mods to reduce the suspension. If it was in aid of enhancing income for the charity I could see some mitigation there, but as far as I can understand he did it because he wanted to win the poll, unless I've got that wrong somewhere?, which is rather bad darts.

Not intending to disrespect Andrew in any way, god knows most of us have done things we regret over the years, hopefully he can take it on the chin and remain a valuable contributor on here in the future. :)

Just a couple of things from my perspective that I hope will be constructive. I also state that being a fellow IPMS Farnborough member I also know Andrew fairly well.

I agree that Andrew broke the overall Groub Build rules. These rules are in a pinned topic of their own:

Quote Mish

"Any member that is found canvassing or trolling for votes either on Britmodeller or elsewhere will have their build removed from any poll and may face other punitive action.

"This is considered by the moderators and admin staff to be unsportsmanlike and not in keeping with the spirit of Group builds."

However, it may be worth considering re-stating these rules in the individual Group Build rules or at least referring people to them so that they are reminded of them? I understand that Andrew was not aware of this and it is only this topic that has caused me to look for them.

To me it seems that there should also be some transparency as to how the rules are enforced and stating what the "other punitive action" may be. This is extremely vague and perhaps a statement giving examples should be given?

That said, one good thing that has come out of this is that it has started to cure his addiction to online forums!

:winkgrin:

Chris

Chris, I'm sorry that you feel that way matey, but there is a warning pinned in the Group Build Chat area area about trawling for votes. This was put to be put there because a former member was found to be approaching other members to win a GB, that person was suspended and then chose to have his membership frozen (even though I would have expected his build to have won on its own merit). Ignorance of the warning or not, his actions were not in line with either the spirit of the site or the spirit of the group build. As before if his build was good enough then it would have topped the poll, should another member have his potentially better build shunted off the top because someone else used friends to skew the vote?

As you have already stated Chris, H4H provides a fantastic level of support, I'm very well aware of what they do as I'm also serving and have had more than a few friends and collegues benefitting from their prescence. However, myself, Mike and Mish were also very uncomfortable with a member of the site trying to interfere with a vote for the best model in a charity affiliated Group Build.

I'm unwilling to change the terms of the suspension, I'm also surprised that it was aired and outed here, as far as I and the other Mods were concerned it was a closed matter, his PM ability was also intact together with the other methods of contacting us off line why has it resulted in an outside push?

Chris,

your last comments deserve an outright ban!

Firstly, to play the 'Danny Nightingale' card is way out of order (incidently, in 1983 I had to arrest one of my own guys for a very similar situation) .

Secondly, 'not offering an opinion that differs from the owners' - if you check the thread, the majority of us disagree with you and we are definitely not owners

Stop whinging, let Kallisti serve out his suspension quietly and look forward to welcoming him back when he returns. Now let's get back to discussing modelling for the benefits that this forum was designed.

Mike

not a happy hector

• Like 1

I can now sadly see why my college Sergeant Danny Nightingale is lingering in Colchester Prison.

I shall retreat back into cyperspace and never have an opion that differs from the owners again

regards

Chris

Your Colleague? Since when was 23 SAS ( R) based at Odiham? I've heard it all now, next you will be telling us you were at Princess Gate and was the second man on the Balcony.

And to what parallel does the imprisonment for possession of illegal arms and ammunition and the suspension from a modelling hobby site for trying to rig the vote on a charity group build are you trying to draw us to?

I suggest that you take stock of the complete man-vegetables that you have just come out with.

College as in member of HM Forces. Rather than continue this here use DII and call me in my office on Monday

For what, an apology by yourself? I suggest that you give your head a complete and utter wobble, asking me to call you? Pathetic.

This coming Monday I will be delving deep into sorting out the training requirements headache that I have to ensure that the blokes in my unit are fit for task and role for our deployment in Afghanistan later next year. I will not be wasting any of my time trawling through DII to deal with a Crab who has his knickers in a twist over the suspension of a friend from a modelling site for trying to vote rig a Group Build.