Brasil Decals, BDecals, Gio Decals

Graeme H

With the new interest in Gio Decals from Poland, I thought I would start a topic just on the history for those who may never have heard the story.

If the moderators don't think this is appropriate, then please delete. I don't wish to put any suppositions or negatives on here (can be a bit hard really), just the facts as known, and collected from various Websites, and personal experience.

Firstly a bit of background

Gio as he is commonly known does seem to have a Polish connection, it was first suggested that he himself was Polish by a Brazilian modeler, back in 2003 and latest reports suggest that his wife is Polish.

A question - Prior to Brasil Decals there was a company called “Jet Decals” who came from Poland, who did a once only print run then disappeared, they only did about 15-20 decals in both 1/200 and 1/144, is there any connection? Or am I just thinking too much?.

2002 Mar - First popped onto the scene as Brasil Decals

Jun – first announced by Hannant’s they were for sale from them

2003 Hannant’s and Brasil decal site announce the buy 5 get one free offer, which worked for me as I bought this lot from Hannant’s

2004 Buy 5 get 1 offer withdrawn

Gio announces that ModelWorld Brasil (nothing to do with the excellent company of the same name in Germany) and someone on ebay are selling sheets without instructions.

2005 First suggestion that Brasil Decals are no more, later refuted by Gio himself

Decals do continue to come.

2006 May - First mention of change to BDecals and new website (don’t bother looking for it) It was announced that if you bought 3 would get 1 free, I bought 6 and got 2 free, only took 11 months to arrive.

Nov – David Hannant first offers to work with Gio to help resolve some of the problems, and asks people to contact him with what they are short of, I sent an email to David at this time as I still didn’t know what was happening.

It seems the number of people actually short of their decals is fairly small.

2007 Even Hannant’s don’t get their orders filled, and have to apologize for those who have advance orders that can’t be met.

David Hannant again offers to take on the task of getting everything sorted, and later at this he fails, but not after he tries his very best to sort the mess out.

Things get quite out of hand at this stage, David Hannant reports that he is getting dodgy tracking numbers and a lot of negatives rightly being thrown at Gio for non delivery, and non communication by the unwashed masses.

Dec - David Hannant buys some decals without instructions from a printer who is selling them to recover from not being paid

2008-2010 This is the period where Gio goes on ebay to sell his decals, under the name of “raffachris” things continue in much the same vein, some get their decals others don’t, but he shows a high positive feedback, which doesn’t stand close scrutiny.

Ebay eventually shut him down.

2010 enter modalstwo2010alexander on ebay selling from Poland.

Now he does quite well with very high positive feedback, and a lot are modellers I know or know about, so it seems genuine, unfortunately for me he doesn’t sell to my region, so I got others to buy for me and forward on from the UK, got everything I asked for, but it starts to come apart, and again a lot of negatives start to appear, and ebay shut him down.

I was amazed to see that one modeller who had ordered a lot decals in one go, gave glowing positive feedback even though he only got half of the sheets he ordered.

2012 A new website http://modelarstwoal...om/Privacy.aspx

Came online, and so we see the other thread, and this is just to give it all a bit of background.

I am always interested in hearing more of the story, but I really don’t want anyone putting on here about how they were ripped off, that belongs in the other thread.

Over all my dealing with Gio and Alexander, I have only missed out on 2 free sheets, so I guess I’m not doing badly.

Over the entire period from 2002 - 12 the non delivery, and partial delivery is a very common thread, this has existed since Gio began, and got really bad during the BDecals period of 2007

Edited by Graeme H
  • Like 1

That's very good G, I my self ordered loads on eBay from Alex, all came then I went for one big order and nothing came! Got a refund from PayPal. Sent emails to Alex himself and nothing back. This year with his website, I sent him an email asking what had happened on ebay and I got a load of decals back. I then spent €98 with him, I then get decals from him and I'm 3 sheets short! I get email from Alex saying others will be shipped on Friday, I then make another order of €150 and now I have everything apart from 4 sheets and waiting for a reply now for over a week. The thing I don't understand is why go though all the trouble setting up your own website then F*** it up! ! ! I do think he will sort this out and I remember somebody telling me before that he was in the polish Air Force , if this is true or not I don't know. But I think he will pull though!

I orderd my declas from when the brazil declas site pop up. Only got 2 out of 5 declas orderd but soon manged to get money back after a quick call to my local police station who opened a fraud case for me and then soon got my money back. Not long after that the site was gone and then ebay was where i saw him next selling decals under a new company name so i did a order and got all 4 dexlas i orderd stright away then he vanished. then up pops the current seller first lot of ebay was good send lot never arrived but money refuned ok. Now orderd from his site declas have been sent so finger cross they arrive. As they do include the ba a319 ones

I have ordered from him via Ebay - around two years ago and I had problems. Eventually I ended up with a sheet for the Gulf 787 but that order was only half of what was paid for.

Whilst I appreciate he apparently has form in this there could also be another phenomenon at work. I have done a great deal of Ebay selling and my observation of selling items to customers in Brazil is very bad. I'm only talking for myself - others may have not had any problems at all. My experience went from bad to completely unacceptable.

The half-order of decals I eventually got had clearly been opened in the Brazilian post (The package came in a Royal Mail investigative team clear envelope with a letter showing their findings). Whilst I was selling, I was finding three out of every four parcels I sent to customers in Brazil were going missing - even with tracking numbers applied. Eventually that proportion rose to 100%. Thus I stopped selling to, and buying from Brazil.

Again I say that may not be everyone's experience - but that is my experience, so don't rule out your orders were not being tampered with.

I seem to remember that Russell Brown from AHS - who has always given excellent service - once said that he would not ship to central or south american countries because of the numbers of packages letters etc that go missing....

• 1 month later...

Hi Anthony.

To be really honest I wouldn't.

I have read all the post on here, ARC and Airlinercafe and they all read pretty much the same:

- buy some decals,

- wait a while (perhaps be lucky and receive an email of some kind from him),

- wait some more

- get some false tracking number emailed to you

- and then a packet will eventually arrive with only some of the decals you ordered and some you didn't.

- try to contact him for the missing ones and then that's where the real headaches begin (no replies to your emails, not able to log on to his site..)

It is a real shame, because he does do some lovely sheets. I just don't want to go through all the above with no guarantee of getting anything for my hard earned money.

BUT it's your decision.

Good luck with whatever you choose and if you do order from him, keep us all informed please.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

Like I've said before on a similar thread, if people want the decals badly enough and have the money to risk losing, then people will place orders, especially if the subject(s) are wanted badly enough, and nobody else is producing them. Personally I don't have the money to risk so wont order. Nice history tho' Graeme and very informative - so it's up to each person to make thier own mind up...you know the risks.

Hmm...well that is unfortunate, he is the only one who makes a Dreamliner scheme I like!

I'll sit on this a bit longer. I just ordered my kit, so I have time to build it up first before I have to worry about paint and schemes. 

Meanwhile if anyone finds a copy of this around, I am interested!! http://airlinercafe.com/photo_12302.details

For this scheme... http://paineairport.com/kpae5541.htm 

If anyone has an  update or any other advice, I'm all ears! 

Thanks for your write up Jeff!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys my order from Alexandr of gio decals has just arrived. ( Boeing 787 Collection and B747-VS/BA/QF - One World scheme ).

It took about less the 2 weeks! amazing. Considering I am all the way down here in Manila, Philippines.