B-25 Mitchells do fly IMC

Iain Ogilvie

Last seen when I was about 13 and left a lasting impression - both for the flying - and the Mitchell.

Utterly brilliant - has cheered me up after some sad news earlier today...

Great inspiration for that HK Models B-25 kit :pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PUazQ60utI0

Enjoy! :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Iain,

Thank you for linking that. I remember watching that as a young lad when first broadcast. It was one of the few programmes that sticks in your mind and is never forgotten. That last ten minutes is probably some of the most moving tv I have ever seen. I was lucky enough that somebody ran a DVD copy off for me a few years ago when it came up in conversation, but great that it's available again for all to see. I don't think it was broadcast much, maybe not even repeated again and I assume was long forgotten.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

I like the fact it's not sanitised. Made by flying people, rather than a TV company, it contains a lot of flyer stuff that's usually left out which makes it fairly unique and all the more interesting.

Have wanted to see it again since I was a kid so chuffed to find it today.

Somewhat fittingly I found the link whilst looking on PPRuNe for info following news that one of our flying buddies has died in an accident - that was the sad news.

Now in the public domain: http://www.pprune.or...af-rtd-rip.html

RIP Brian.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I remember seeing these birds lined up at Blackbush when they came over for the film.

'Gorgeous George Anne' was at Duxford the following year, causing a bit of a stir when the port engine began pouring smoke in the display. It wasn't a stunt either.

Happy days.

img037copy2.jpg

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Must have first watched it when I was 6. My dad had it on VHS; I wore the tape out. When I was a teenager he found another copy somehow, but I lost that in all the moving since. Without a doubt my most favourite TV programme of all time.

I too recall catching them at Blackbushe, Somewhere at home I have got the black white photos I took of each of them. Must try to scan them and share here! Re the programme on TV, I recorded it on VHS!! Still got the tape somewhere and thats another thing to do, get DVDs done from all the VHSs tapes I have got. But it was a brilliant programme.

One of the B-25s is sitting in the RAF museum, Hendon. Not sure what happened to the rest. I also recall seeing one do the airshow rounds at Mildenhall Air Fete one year.

DIdn't John Hawke go down in the Med somewhere a few years later flying a Piper Aztec camera ship for Arthur Gibson? A very sad loss.

Edited by Paul J

Roger that,

Lovely stuff. Never tire of the sight & sound.

All a bit casual, probably wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

Note the H & S nightmare with the painters, No masks!

Now I'll have to watch the film.

Small claim to fame. Some of the filming was done at Odiham.

I was on guard when a Mercedes flatbed truck arrived, seemingly

carrying 300 sandbags. A look at the other side revealed skilfully painted fibreglass.

Pete

Hi Guys n Gals,

I haven't seen this documentary since it was originally broadcast and watching it today's taken me back years!

I remember every single thing about program and it's been a real treat to re-watch it.

Over the years I've asked many friends if they'd seen it and they hadn't, well now they can.

Thanks again for posting it.

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman