Two new 1/72 Il-2's on the way

MikeR

Hi all,

Not sure if this has already been reported, but I spotted this tidbit on the 72nd scale aircraft forum.

Tamiya are scaling down their 1/48 Il-2 to 1/72: http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM60781

Academy are finally releasing a two seater: http://www.academy.co.kr/eng/6q/frmBoardView.asp?pMenuId=BOARD00012&pCode=5351

The Tamiya kit's an "arrow" wing and the Academy one is a straight wing so at least both of them aren't duplicating the other entirely!

Mike. :)

Great news! Hope the Academy kit has as many decal options as their single-seater. Looks like a good year for Il-2 fans, I know I'll grab a few of both, maybe a few of the HobbyBoss kits too to soak up leftover decal options, though the Eduard Weekend Edition is probably no more expensive...

I love that academy paint job.

It's nice to be reassured that Academy haven't totally given up on the 1/72 WW2 market. For a while their release list was as full and keenly awaited as Airfix's now but, apart from reissues, it all went very quiet after the Helldiver and the excellent Allison Mustang, - well, and the Il-2, I suppose.

Excellent news indeed. I know that Academy have been sitting on those two-seater moulds for years now; it's great to see that they're finally releasing it. In terms of the paint scheme, it was taken for the most part from the sovietwarplanes.com site, from a profile done by the site's administrator, Massimo Tessitori (who by the way has also done the artwork for my forthcoming book on the Il-2). I hadn't seen that Hobby Boss were going to release an arrow in 1/72nd scale. Hopefully, Tamiya will upscale their 1/48th scale kit to 1/32nd scale. The Hobby Boss kit in this scale is a nice kit, but the Tamiya kit would be better. Good times indeed for Shturmovik-fanciers like me.

Best Regards,

Jason

• 2 months later...