Revell MK.22 Spitfire

This kit kind of signalled my return to modelling after a stopping when i was a kid.

I bought it 2 years ago from Hobbycraft - £15 for a BIG Spitfire? Bargain i thought, and still do, but it has not been an easy build.... The birth of my second kid was 4 weeks away - plenty of time to finish it.....

I dug in to the kit, using only the most basic of tools and materials, managed to get the fuselage and wings on within 2 weeks. Then my son decided to show up early frantic.gif

Needless to say i didnt have a lot of time for modelling after that, so the kit got put away until a few months ago. By then i had been thinking more and more about the hobby so decided to go for it and do it properly. I spent a fortune on tools, paints and a couple of Tamiya kits. The fit issues i had with the Revell kit convinced me that spending cash on quality kits (initially at least) would serve me better.

I built a few 72nd scale kits, and made a start on the Tamiya P51. But then i realised i should really finish the Spit, so here she is.

I know i (stupidly) put the propellers on the wrong way round (My excuse was i had raging toothache and stomach flu that day..).

I painted it using old Humbrol enamels with a crappy £5 ebay special airbrush (i now have a decent one for future use!). Overall i am pleased with it, it turned into a bit of a practise kit really, in preperation for better kits.

DSC_3609.jpg

DSC_3598.jpg

DSC_3620.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Nick

• Like 3

I have a really big soft spot for this kit as I remember building one (in its original Matchbox guise) as a kid while on holiday in Cornwall. Getting a 'big' kit at that age was a major event!

Good job Nick. I might get one myself for old time's sake! :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I will definatley build another one, but next time i will have a go at rescribing panel lines.

Rick, i was at Hobbycraft in Wychbold just yesterday, they had 3 on the shelves then, so you just missed out!

I picked up the new tool Revell 1/72 JU88 for £12. I cant bloody go anywhere now without buying a model kit.. :banghead:

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I will definatley build another one, but next time i will have a go at rescribing panel lines.

Rick, i was at Hobbycraft in Wychbold just yesterday, they had 3 on the shelves then, so you just missed out!

I picked up the new tool Revell 1/72 JU88 for £12. I cant bloody go anywhere now without buying a model kit.. :banghead:

Lol! I try to resist buying, but I travel past too many good shops!

I'll have a go at my purchase some time next year.

BTW, it was me who got the last one!

Very tempted with the MKIX, but already have an ICM one on the go.

Rick.

Edited by Rick Brown
  • Like 1

I was tempted to get the Arado for £17, but i have to draw the line somwhere...

3 months ago my stash did not exist. Now 9 kits in it, plus the P51 currently on the bench.

My wife just shakes her head...

:lol:

ONLY NINE!!!!!

Your not trying hard enough, just have a look around this forum and see how many some have.......

I felt bad at about 70, until I saw people with over 700!!!!!

My Farther asks me what model he should buy because, as he says, I'll inherit his stash and I say to him, "Ask my Lad cause he'll inherit it from me!".

Keep, spending..........

Rick.

Edited by Rick Brown
  • Like 1

Very VERY nice job. I've built this one, it was a real challenge getting those wing fillets right and you've done an excellent build. For £15 for a big spit it's a steal!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nick that is so uncanny , this is the exact same way and the exact same model kit and also from hobbycraft which has got me back into it after many years. with the exception of the imminent nipper thats quite spooky lol. hope mine is half as good as your one has turned out ill b more than happy. :goodjob: