Zvezda 1/72 109F

Good morning/afternoon/evening gentlemen.

If you would all indulge me I intend to describe my building of the lovely new Zvezda Bf109 kit.

Don't let the 'snap together' bit fool you: this model is made with great precision and petite, scribed detail that is equal to or better than anything out there.

I will leave accuracy discussions to others.

Here is what came from the shops:

Boxandparts.jpg

... and here is the result of about 30 minutes' work:

Cockpit2.jpg

Cockpit1.jpg

Edited by Peter Lloyd

There's some clever engineering gone into that to make it snap together but it doesn't lack for detail does it? I'll be watching this one, I've got quite a few Finemolds 109F's in the stash for some reason (didn't watch what I was buying over the years?) but might be tempted just to try this one out myself.

Duncan B

Thanks guys. I'm already wishing I'd done a bit more in the cockpit- I will change that tan-coloured bread bag on the starboard wall into the black-grey switch board it's supposed to be- but this is only a throw together while I spend more time and effort on the Airfix Mozzie, and a tank.

As well as the unorthodox-but-effective parts breakdown, the kit seems to have all the right filler caps and what not for a Friedrich. It also means the completed model is strong, this would be a really ideal project for a youngster.

The wheel wells are the squared-off type, however, I believe this is unusual for an F. The exhausts look a bit lame, might have to hunt up something there.

Hello. A few more pics as I have gone along.

I won't be using him, but this little fellow flies the aeroplane:

2P0V0h.jpg

No filler here, just a little scraping the sanding:

lMjouh.jpg

I did add a touch of putty here, perhaps superglue or even sprue would have been easier for such a small gap. Note seam running through the flap, this should be easy to eliminate with sanding and Mr Surfacer:

FxjUPh.jpg

Overall view:

yTqA1h.jpg

My thoughts are turning to markings. Zvezda supply marking for two nice-looking Russian front aircraft, one a JG51 machine in 74/75 with mottle, Orel, June 1942. The other an overall white JG54 109 flown by Hans Philipp, March 1942. No doubt these markings could form the basis of other JG54 aircraft in one of their various interesting schemes....

..coming on nicely!.......while some parts snap together brilliantly other -more -visible- areas are quite 'clunky', especially the attachment lugs on the canopy. It is a shame the supercharger has no actual 'intake' (ie is solid). The undercarriage though is so straight forward it is child's play - and really looks the part. Will definitely build more ....

I am not aware of any external differences, apart from prop blade width, and ensuring the aircraft has only variant-appropriate 'options'. The marks involved an engine upgrade and a larger-calibre prop hub gun. I understand all -4s must have the round wheel wells, but early F-2s sometimes had the squared off, 'E' style well.

I have started the tiresome (for me) process of rubbing down the seams in the every-tricky quest to eliminate their evidence... have to remember to re-scribe that infamous 109 spine panel line.

overall3-4view.jpg

Overall3-4viewundersidefirstsand.jpg

Edited by Peter Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

It looked like this yesterday:

Beforegreys.jpg

I decided on this scheme, from the recently-released Hannants/Xtradecal Malta sheet:

Decalsheet.jpg

The basic camo went on with Gunze Aqueous paints, not much contrast so the 75 was made a little lighter and greener. I used masking tape and then made a freehand pass over the edges. They look a bit 'stripey' but that should disappear later. I hope:

Paintedgreystopview.jpg

RLM76 next:

MottlesRLM02LHS.jpg

RLM02 mottles, freehand with the Iwata Eclipse:

MottlesRLM02LHS.jpg

And some '74:

MottlesLHS.jpg

Edited by Peter Lloyd

With paint, the sink marks on the wings emerge. Because the upper wing moulding includes the outer sections of the lower wing, the section is thick. It's pretty minimal but it is there:

Sinkmarkoverwing.jpg

Sinkmarkunderwing.jpg

I re-masked and re-sprayed the RLM74 to sharpen up the edges. Looks like I've sanded away the rather nice piano hinge on the engine cowling:

Paintedstage3.jpg

Not a lot more progress. My gloss coat didn't bring out much gloss (as is often the case- I think I let the paint dry before it hits the surface of the model so it produces a 'powdery' effect) so I have polished the surface with Mother's plastic polish to provide a (hopefully) good surface for decals.

Readyfordecals_zpsd2ba68b7.jpg

Decals on, very nice they are. I used some stencils from the Zvezda kit, these were Italeri-like decals, good to apply, slightly thick, but the printing lacked precision and the alignment was variable. Zvezda provide an interesting compromise in stencils, you get sort of a half supply to 'busy up' the appearance, but not enough to do the job properly.

Off on holidays for two weeks so see you in early January for final weathering and finishing off. Have a good Christmas.

DecalsonLHSsml_zps29a47908.jpg

DecalsonRHSsml_zps55c1477c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished and up in the gallery.

I found this model to be very pleasant to build. It seems to be lacking some scribing detail on the upper wings, but otherwise I found the Zvezda snap-related issues to be no problem. Possibly just my low standards. The undercarriage, at cost of simplification at the leg hinges, is simple and strong and captures the 109 stance very well. I as fitting legs to Academy and Airfix 109s and they were much harder... in particular these kits have the axles angled so the wheels angle outwards toward the top. Zvezda have got this right and the wheels themselves are excellent.