Old dog from Airfix

Sten Ekedahl

While looking for something (have forgotten what) in my way too large stash a few days ago, I "rediscovered" not only one, but two :evil_laugh: Airfix Beagle Basset kits. After having had a look at them, I thought it could be an easy "no nonsense" build, just to get a modell finished for once. Typical simple Airfix kit from the late 60's with lots of rivets all over and very little detailing. Although the interior is fairly decent with a rear bulkhead, floor, seats, good instrument panel with two rather nice control yokes. On the other hand the undercarriage is very simplified and the nose wheel well is non-existing. Decals had naturally yellowed after all these years, but most of the standard markings can be substituted with better ones from my Modeldecal stash. And with some "sun treatment" specific items like the blue cheat lines and a few other small items will probably be useable too.

So I decided to have a go at one of them. Apart from a few improvements in the cabin and a nose weight not much more is needed there despite the many large and surprisingly clear windows. Just sanding down all those tea cup-sized rivets on the outside, scribe a few panel lines and scratchbuild a cooling flap under each engine. That should do it. :pipe:

However there are no colour information for the interior in the instructions. :hmmm: But I guess standard colours for that kind of aircraft in those days would probably be a pale blue or gray with slightly darker seats. I have been unable to find any pics of the interior on the net, so if anyone can shed some information on this it would be appreciated. Another colour question is regarding the exterior. I will use the KISS method and not deviate from the kit option - white fin and fuselage top, blue cheat line along the fuselage sides and the rest of the airframe painted silver. I think silver paint is correct, but in all the photos I have found light aircraft grey seems to be used instead. But I have a faint memory of a change over from silver to LAG some time around 1970. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

Hi Steen,

way to go! I think it's the right way of building those classic kits!

Regarding your colour question:

If you possess some audacity you could ask Airfix for a new set of instructions for that kit! Maybe they'll be more detailed / accurate than the old one!

I did just this earlier this year with an Airfix Bv141, an 1970's release edition, and with the new set of instructions (more detailed painting instructions allright!), together with new decals of course, I managed to get my Bv141 finished without any guesswork on painting the details / interiors!

Fantastic replacement parts service Airfix!

Cheers

Nicolai

Light Aircraft grey for the lowersides was the more common and standard finish. Never seen pictures with silver undersides.

But, I expect someone will come up with one. I refurbished an old build of mine earlier this year and put it on a stand on account of not having undercarriage, closed up the doors replacement props from an Islander and went for the much earlier pre delivery all over metal finish XS742.

I have very happy memories of a long lost summer playing with the Basset at RAF Halton in the final months of my Apprenticeship. The seats in the back were the most comfortable I've ever sat on in an aircraft even after all these years and IIRC they were a red/brown leather, I also think you are right with the light blue interior colour.

Our one was LAG lower with white above the cheat line.

I will have a look through my old photos as I am sure I'll have some of the Basset, if so I'll post them here for you.

Duncan B

I have very happy memories of a long lost summer playing with the Basset at RAF Halton in the final months of my Apprenticeship. The seats in the back were the most comfortable I've ever sat on in an aircraft even after all these years and IIRC they were a red/brown leather, I also think you are right with the light blue interior colour.

Our one was LAG lower with white above the cheat line.

I will have a look through my old photos as I am sure I'll have some of the Basset, if so I'll post them here for you.

Duncan B

Be careful Duncan, that was not an RAF Basset.

"G-ASWJ B.206.srs.1 donated to the RAF by Rolls-Royce in 1975, became 8449M at Halton". Not sure where it is now though.

Pat

Apparantly its at Brunel Technical College, Bristol.

Good to hear it's still alive.

Sten, if you do get any colour details please post them or the photo links, I have an airfix basset I would like to build it as G-HRHI/XS770 as I managed to get a flight in it once.

Pat

Be careful Duncan, that was not an RAF Basset.

"G-ASWJ B.206.srs.1 donated to the RAF by Rolls-Royce in 1975, became 8449M at Halton". Not sure where it is now though.

Pat

That would explain the plush seats then. It was painted in an RAF colour scheme though as I remember?

Duncan B

I got the cabin windows fitted last week and they look surprisingly good after my special treatment. I have developed a method for cabin windows that I use on nearly all my models. Probably several of you have come up with a similar method, but I will describe it here anyhow. It might be helpful for some.

Before I glue the windows in, I make sure the they stand well proud of the outer surface. This often requires some modifications to the window parts and/or the fuselage. I let the glue (liquid glue) dry for at least 12 hours, preferably 24 hours. Then using sanding sticks bought from the girls' hobby shop, i.e. beauty shop, I sand the windows flush with the fuselage. Start with a coarse stick and then change to progressively finer grades. Finish of by polishing with your prefered compound, I use tooth paste. This will result in perfectly clear windows absolutely flush with the fuselage. It might sound like a lot of work, but actually it is quite easy and does not take a lot of time. I think the Basset side windows took not more than 30 minutes to sand and polish, so it is well worth the effort.

• Like 1