Rumpler C1

stevehed

PICT0073-3.jpg

Does anyone remember this from February 1975 ? SM published a set of plans of the Rumpler CIV drawn by Ian Stairs while Ray Rimmel described the build of a scratch built model that incorporated parts from the Airfix Hannover. It was my first scratch build and I was inordinately proud of it. When I took the customary 25 year break from the hobby it was one of the few models that was stored in an old medicine cabinet awaiting my return. In 2007 it received a refurbishment and invisible thread rigging. But doubts set in when I discovered Aeroclub and began purchasing white metal engines. It soon became apparent that the Mercedes and Benz engines used in German two seaters were quite a bit larger than the Airfix Hannover engine used in the 70's. Last year I acquired a Pegasus CIV and another copy of the SM article and further investigation revealed that my fuselage was a foot short and I should have modified the Hannover under carriage as my model was sat too low. The Pegasus kit magnified all my errors when the two were compared but I was still emotionally attached to my first born. My scratch fuselage was more robust than the Pegasus and it occurred to me that it was very like the earlier C1. Measurements seemed to confirm this so having another Hannover that had been bought for spares I thought I would try and modify the SM build to produce a Rumpler CI a la old school methods. I hope these photos come out alright because they're old ones but this is how she looked before I pulled her to bits.

PICT0179.jpg

PICT0177.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed

PICT0055-2.jpg

PICT0072-3.jpg

After dismantling the wings and tail units the cockpits were improved with the use of a circular sanding bit. The CIV has a turret for the gun ring while the CI has a larger cut out with the ring within. I've run out of Parabellum ring/mg sets so it's now a ring from copper wire and the kit gun. The top wing had to be reduced from 42 ft to a smidgeon under 40 ft while a new lower wing was cut from another Hannover top wing that was purchased as spares. Of course scratch wings from card are probably a better option and I'm going to try Quentin's boiling water method for my next project. The lower wings needed to be 2.7ins either side with the original centre section removed. The rudder will be used again and the elevators were cut from 20 thou card.

As this conversion is based on the SM plans for the CIV I thought I'd try and see if they could be used to scratch a CI. As far as the fuselage goes the forward section to the rear of the pilot's cockpit appear to match except the nose which is narrower on the CI. As mine was laminated card this was easily filed to shape. From the front cockpit back to the rudder post an additional twentieth of an inch, or 1.5mm, is added to the plan width it seems to me. Nothing too scientific here because I based this on the Munson profile/plan in Bombers 1914-19 that I scaled up to 1/72. As for the wings if using the Airfix Hannover wings the same method can be applied to adjust the span. Basically you cut off three ribs from one set, two from the other, then cement the three ribs to the wing that has lost two to increase the span of the upper wing of a CIV. Reduce for the CI. If the remaining two ribs are added to the wing minus the three it should make the lower wing the correct span. The elevators were originally triangular in shape and measure 1.67ins along the leading edge, 1.28ins along the contact and about 1.2ins along the base before rounding the edges and adding ribs. The rudder section is just under an inch high and 1.4ins at the longest point.

I hope this is of interest as the Rumpler C1 seems to be a fairly rare beast. The Joystick vac form is probably still available but kit bashing, or a complete scratch build, may be a better alternative to some modelers.

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed

PICT0077.jpg

Lower wings now attached. Locating holes drilled into fuselage and 30 amp fuse wire drilled into wing butts as guides. Radiator reduced in size to match C1 and struts added to form a trestle so that the top wing can be adjusted and additional struts added without it constantly falling over. That's the theory, practice to follow.

PICT0083-3.jpg

Well, the trestle worked although I had to resize the original struts. As this is a nostalgia build I'm using as much as I can from the CIV original. Hence the struts are stretched sprue and the Hannover undercarriage appears to be the right height for a CI but is quite crude by modern standards. Rigging has started and then Emil's office and tail unit to follow. By the way is it only me or is modern plastic more difficult to stretch in a controlled manner. I recently tried to stretch some sprue to give some lengths of about a mille or 1.5mm that could be used for struts. It was not to be. I have masses of very fine, sort of 5 amp fuse wire diameter, sprue but I could not get any decent lengths that were thicker. I used to manage years ago so is it me or has the plastic changed.

Regards, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Calling it a day for the moment. Reasonably happy with the way it has turned out but might make another pair of rear tail planes. The elevators aren't quite right to my eyes but it's not by too much so they'll do for now. Kept the original exhaust as I'm sure I've seen a photo of a C1 with this type, probably on the Aerodrome. I hadn't the heart to tear it to pieces as I was rather proud of it all those years ago. This C1 is circa the Somme and has an additional forward firing mg. Panels and camera trapdoor were scored with a sharp blade.

Regards, Steve

PICT0091-1.jpg

PICT0089-1.jpg

PICT0092-1.jpg

PICT0090-1.jpg

Edited by stevehed