Spifire - Underwing colour Sailor Malan

Sean_M

I started this as a thread in Work in progress. I am suprised that our usual Guru's haven't come to the fore. So I am do "repost" in the discussion section in the hope that it involes some reponse.

..Sailor' Malan's Spitfire that he flew with 74 Squadron in 1940, ZP-A (K9953)...I have Southern Expo 70th Anniversary decal sheet which shows a Sky Blue. Now we all know that the Stadard 1940 Scheme started of as Black/White and the went to Type S (Tamiya XF-21). What is the correct underside colour for Malan's Spit?

Hope to hear some replies soon

Regards

Sean

Before the RAF and the Ministry of Supply got around to generating a standard for what we now know as Sky, the color actually applied to aircraft during the BoB period was all over the map. I doubt there is anyone alive or dead who can give you a definitive answer on precisely what color any given airplane was at any given time. We're stuck with b&w photos. There are lots of documented instances of eyewitness accounts of Spits and Hurris with light blue ("sky blue") and various other lower surface colors during 1940.

I think if you pick a color you like, nobody is going to be able to prove you wrong one way or the other.

I wonder then if Tamiya 80323,XF23 (which is a light blue may be appropriate. I read somewhere that Suadrons stated repainting the Black and White pattern with a "Sky Blue" of there own accord, I think the source quoted was "Fighter Pilot by RIchey

I wonder then if Tamiya 80323,XF23 (which is a light blue may be appropriate. I read somewhere that Suadrons stated repainting the Black and White pattern with a "Sky Blue" of there own accord, I think the source quoted was "Fighter Pilot by RIchey

I'll bet if you use good old Sky you'll have just as good a chance of being "correct," unless the same decal instructions give "Sky" for other planes on the sheet, which might indicate they've got additional information on the particular plane.

K9953 looks to have been around for the whole duration of BoB, so you have several choices for the underside scheme. Is there a particular month you want to depict this aircraft? Note too that during a certain period no underside roundels were carried, so that may or may not have a baring on your decision.

There is a colour profile in the popular book authored by Paul Lucas with ZP-A with caption duck egg blue/sky blue underside? and dated July 1940. There are no underwing roundels and the serial codes are painted over. At the end of the book he gives FS 14325 as being the closest match.

regards,

Jack

I started this as a thread in Work in progress. I am suprised that our usual Guru's haven't come to the fore. So I am do "repost" in the discussion section in the hope that it involes some reponse.

..Sailor' Malan's Spitfire that he flew with 74 Squadron in 1940, ZP-A (K9953)...I have Southern Expo 70th Anniversary decal sheet which shows a Sky Blue. Now we all know that the Stadard 1940 Scheme started of as Black/White and the went to Type S (Tamiya XF-21). What is the correct underside colour for Malan's Spit?

Hope to hear some replies soon

Regards

Sean

we don't know!

As for sky paint, well, there was a very extensive investigation conducted here by John

http://www.britmodel...showtopic=41520

note

Apart from those, Tamiya needs lightened

The application of mixed or non standard colours is mentioned in the Ducimus monograph.

A lot of talk has been generated by Paul Lucas work on BoB colours, and matching parts of wreckage against a FS595 fandeck.

The FS595 is a widely used set of paint chips used in USA [FS = Federal Standard]

From spending way too much time on Forums it has become clear that this is a US government guide to paint colors, NOT a comprehensive colour guide

bearing that in mind, have a read through this page,

http://www.britmodel...234926043&st=40

and note Nick Millman's comments in this post in particular

http://www.britmodel...40#entry1121983

There is no real DEFINTIVE answer, unless you want to build one of planes that has had the undersides 'matched' from the wreck...and bear in mind that paint can and does change colour chemically due to aging and other factors, eg incrash sense the soil chemistry etc etc...

I said this before, but I'll say it again.

download this.

It's free. Out of print for 40 years.

Still the best primer on the subject.

000f56ef_medium.jpeg

a quick search shows Sean has done us all a favour and put up a pdf, thank you!

The file size is 33.7MB

http://smiddleton.ne...ineSpitfire.pdf

I'll keep banging on about this until everyone has one !

cheers

T

As a matter of fact, if I lean forward and stretch an eensy bit, I can touch mine. My "all in one" copy, I mean.

Note the paradox of Miggers' "Duck Egg/Sky Blue"- Duck Egg (Blue/Green/Blueish Green) was intended to describe "Sky", while Sky Blue is another thing altogether. And having dared to say as much as that, the Sky will once again descend upon us :doh: .

bob

Paul Lucas' work goes deeper than the Ducimus when dealing with the Battle of Britain, although the later is wider in its chronological range. I do feel that there was rather too much emphasis placed on the non-standard finishes, but this particularly applies to the Eau-de-Nil. He only suggested a few examples in Sky Blue (or any bluer shade). Bearing in mind that examples of blue undersides were widely reported at the time, I'm inclined to have more confidence in those examples. If that includes the Malan aircraft, I'd model it that way.