So many 109's, how do I chose which one?

With well over 20000 of the things built it is a bit of a challenge to pick one! However my problem is how to pick one from the 90+ that I have gathered since I got back into the hobby. At some point early on I decided I was going to try to build one of each model, A through to Z, in 1/72 scale. Naive, mad or possibly both and so I started buying everything 109 in 1/72 scale that I could find.

Fortunately for my sanity my modelling tastes have moved on a little but I still come back to the 109 from time to time so what a great chance to have a look back into the very depths of the stash for some of those early purchases right back at my return to the hobby, kits that I knew were beyond my skills at that time but I had to have.

I've spent the best part of a day dragging boxes out of the walk in cupboard that is the stash. I've been through 15 large plastic crates (don't ask how big the stash is in total but lets say I'll be 350 years old before I finish working my way through it) and I've dragged out 10 kits of varying age that should give me something slightly different to have a go at.

Bf109Groupbuildkits1.jpg

These are the lucky 10 and below are the most likely candidates.

Bf109Groupbuildkits2.jpg

Bf109Groupbuildkits4.jpg

But I think I know where to start......

Bf109Groupbuildkits3.jpg

......at the very begining of course, V1 the first of them all.

Duncan B

Edited by Duncan B

Never having done a WIP before I guess I just add content as a "Reply" post?

Well here are the mandatory Boxtop and sprue shots, not the best photos but you can see there isn't a lot to it but there is quite a bit of cleaning up to do, typical limited run stuff.

Bf109V15.jpg

Bf109V12.jpg

th_Bf109V13.jpg

I'll make a start tomorrow hopefully.

Duncan B

I agree! But build two and have a "First and Last" theme. So there is the V-1 an the K-4.

Go on... you know you want to... :wicked:

It was a coincidence that in one of the first pictures it is sat on top of a K4 but when I saw that it did cross my mind!

I fancy making the 109H, I have both the MPM and the Pegasus kits (which has far better surface detail) but if I get a wiggle on I could get a K4 done as well. Then there is a G12 and some of the prototypes, the LF Models V14 in scarlet, V34, the V tailed G-0......(and so it goes on). Enzo, see what you've done now? I'm all confused again!

Duncan B

Edited by Duncan B

A little progress to show today. There has been lots of sanding and thinning of the cockpit sides to get to this stage though.

v1wip1.jpg

v1wip3.jpg

v1wip4.jpg

v1wip5.jpg

Some lovely detail in the resin cockpit, I'll not be using much of the etch fret though.

Duncan B

Yes you do have a few to choose from, we'd take it that selection that you do like the 109's! :)

The 109-H would have been nice, though Pegasus models can be a bit trying! Built one of another aircraft years ago, was horrible, think it ended up in that "special" place, not sure if it will ever get completed.

The V1 will be lovely, looking forward to following the progress.

Rich

Yes you do have a few to choose from, we'd take it that selection that you do like the 109's! :)

The 109-H would have been nice, though Pegasus models can be a bit trying! Built one of another aircraft years ago, was horrible, think it ended up in that "special" place, not sure if it will ever get completed.

The V1 will be lovely, looking forward to following the progress.

Rich

Hi Rich

I've actually lost count of the 109 kits in the stash, but its approx. 90x 1/72 with about 10x 1/48. Quite a few are older kits and might not be up to modern standards, a few others like the Pegasus kit were bought but put aside as I knew I wasn't up to doing them justice when I first got back into the hobby, then there are all the Finemolds kits which are shake and bake and I have quite a few of those to build OOB and for special projects.

I want to do the H but don't want to muck it up so might not be a good idea to build it with a time limit in place, I build slow!

Duncan B

Well here are some photos of the painted cockpit. They show things that I can't see, even using those magnifying goggle things that make me look like an idiot! To my Mk1 eyeballs, which are past their sell by date to be fair, the cockpit looks acceptable for 1/72 scale anyway. I'll maybe add a little dry brushed grey to it before it gets built in (then everything disappears anyway).

v1wip6.jpg

v1wip7.jpg

v1wip8.jpg

v1wip9.jpg

v1wip10.jpg

So today I'll assemble the fuselage. No guides to help me so slowly does it!

Duncan B

Agree, with the first and last type suggestion!

A little more progress to show today but this will be the last for a while as I will be going back offshore tomorrow for a few weeks.

v1wip13.jpg

v1wip12.jpg

So the wing is on now, it took quite a bit of sanding around the rear of the one piece solid wing to get it to fit without too much of a step but went together with less hassle than I was expecting.

The fuselage halves have no pins to guide the joining process but again it went together with minimum grief. In the pictures I have run some superglue down the seam to fill the slight gap, this is still to be sanded back flush. I will have to do something about the rear of the cockpit as the home made shelf doesn't reach right across the fuselage and is not square, a bit of plastic stock will cover that though.

See you again in a few weeks, happy modelling.

Duncan B

Edited by Duncan B

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted an update since the beginning of December as I've been away from home working through December and am currently in the US due home on the 23rd of January. This is why it takes me so long to build anything but I'm hopeful that I'll have both entries finished by the deadline.

The V1 is basically together and is primed ready for the topcoat. I will be painting it in a light grey RLM 63 although I am not sure if this actual colour existed at the time of the V1's production. I still have to fit the vac form canopy (never a favourite job) and make a pair of undercarriage doors as the kit ones are not the correct shape. The mass balances for the ailerons are horn types which I will also have to make.

All do-able in the few days I have left when I get home.

Duncan B